1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sixth grades girls in Texas to be forced to get vaccine against STD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Autism is not a disease, it cannot be cured. Raun Kauffman is a quisling.

2. Narz

Narz keeping it real

So how do you explain people who go from severe symptoms to none at all. Autism is a collection of classified symptoms, if the symptoms disappear and never reappear the person is cured. Read the link, it's from wikipedia.

By definition, a severe autistic shouldn't be able to act differently. Let alone graudate college, start a business, have a intricate social life, etc.

3. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Its not a disease though, as parkcunghee said so it cant be cured.

Autism comes in many different degrees of severity. And i can tell you thats not true for most autistics, probably not even severe autistics, unless they are retarted.

Im mildly autistic however i can graduate college and i socialize. But even for severe autism this can be worked around for some of them.

4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You're wrong. I've met him and his parents and worked at the Option Institute (affliated with the Autism Treatment Center of America) for four months. There's been a documentry on them (working with a British boy) on the BBC.

You're reacting emotionally and making accusations you cannot back up.

5. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I have autism and I do all those things. You're now different than saying a negro can't do those things. I tell you what, I make this offer to every autistiphobe I come across, whatever nationality you are, will pair up the comparatively productivity of your people versus my people (the autistics) and if yours looses, we agree to cure yours, ok?

Your missing the point, Autism cannot be cured because its not a disease, nor more than Solzhenitsyn had a mental illness.

6. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

How is what he said emotional? :lol:

BTW il read your links again and respond, but thus far you still havent proven the authenticity of it.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Note : I'm not making any grandious claims about autism in general just saying that it HAS been overcome before therefore you cannot classify it as "incurable". I'm not making any promises to you or anyone you know. Cancer is curable too but that doesn't mean everyone who tries to overcome it will.

Just so no one puts words in my mouth.

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Well, he's throwing around emotionally charged words though it's impossible to gauge his true emotional state without a webcam.

If you don't believe the authenticity of it take it up with wikipedia.

9. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Comparing it to cancer just proves your a bigot. Okay maybe this will make you can see the point

"I'm nopt making grandoise claims about the negroes nature in general just saying that it HAS been overcome before and therefore you cannot classify it as "incurable". I'm not making any promises to you or anyone you know. Cancer is curable too but that doesn't mean every negro who tries to overcome it will."

Clearly bigoted right? Shame deal. Being Autistic is no more something to be cured of then being black.

10. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

My emotional state is fine, its a perfectly reasonable reaction to someone who speaks down to who you are.

My offer still stands, my people versus yours, I win, you admit your the one that needs a cure.

11. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

What exactly causes Autism?

12. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I was refering to your other link. Which im in the process of reading now.

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Your biological nature. Its a part of who you are at your basic nature. Its carried in your genes with your personality, your intellect, your emotions etc.

14. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

That's not really what I was looking for. I know that it's caused by genetics. Is it a fundamental difference in brain chemistry? Structure?

15. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

First of all narz, the wikipedia article has no sources. And the other link on the last page is just a google search.

Show me some text supporting enviromental factors cause autism.

16. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Wikipedia is not a legitimate source. Things aren't true just because someone put them on Wikipedia.

17. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

As far as I was aware the autistic stectrum described a range of abnormal mental functioning. Like the dyslexic spectrum it is not a disease but a discription of a state.

Therefore terms like "cure" are not relivant. Some would argue that autism and the other spectrum disorders are only a problem in as much as they represent functioning sufficiently different from the social norm that the minority have problems intergrating. In extreem case this doesnt feel right on a knee jerk, but who knows.

Perhaps coping mechanism is a better term than cure.

18. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Thank you GinandTonic, you expressed it far more elequently then I could.

19. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

That wiki page states that there is no statistical evidence to back up the claims the Kauffmans make.

And the one about environmental factors states someting about conditions affecting expression of symptoms, not affecting autism itself.

20. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Given that it is defined by the expression of symptoms it seems a minefield, definition-wise.