Sixty Five Civilizations

Okay, here is the complete list of civilizations I think should be included in civ 4, including the 18 in the game. Hopefully someone will be on a mod of this sort when the game comes out :)

Edit - Now EIGHTY-FOUR civs! Newest additions in bold.

Update : I don't really have time to refresh this thread very often and people keep arguing about whether something or other is a civ or not which is not what this thread was for so this is probably the last update.

Algonquins
America
Anasazi
Arabia
Ashanti
Assyrians
Austria
Australian Aborigine
Aztecs
Babylon
Bactria
Bavaria
Brunei
Byzantines
Canadians
Carthage
Celts
Cherokee
China
Chippewa
Czechs
Danes
Denali
Dutch
Egypt
England
Ethiopia
Etruscans
France
Germany
Ghana
Goths
Greece
Harappa
Hawaiians
Huns
Incans
India
Inuit
Irish
Iroquois
Isrealites
Japan
Kazakhs
Kerala
Khazars
Khmer
Koreans
Magyars
Mali
Maori
Mayans
Minoans
Mongols
Nepalese
Norse
Olmecs
Ottomans
Persia
Phoenecia
Picts
Polish
Polynesia
Portugal
Prussia
Quebec
Rome
Russia
Scottish
Serbs
Spain
Shona
Sioux
Slovaks
Songhai
Sumeria
Swiss
Swedes
Thais
Tibetans
Tihuanuco
Turks
Ukraine
Zulus

Any necessary additions? I'll add them.

Uh? Alot of those are repeated under differnet names, for instance
Turks-Ottamans-->The Turks were the main portion of the Ottaman Empire
Swedes-Norse---> Norseman are basically another name for Swedes
Goths-Germany-Swiss-->The Goths were a Germanic tribe and the Swiss are in the same spot as the Goths.
As for the list in whole the game is meant to have that any civs in the core game, it wouldnt be out for another year if it did. Most of the civs with the game focus on General global historical signifigance

The Turks include a LOT of people who had nothing to do with the Ottoman Empire. I mean a LOT of people.

Swedes/Norse I have seen people request both so I thought that would be the best way. You see Danes are in there too. :)

Germany in Civ has always been modern Germany, which is very different than the Ancient Goths, who certainly didn't call themselves German. I think the Swiss were mostly suggested as a joke but I'd like to see them in.

Its funny you didn't point out Byzantium/Rome or America/England :p They're repeats as much as those other ones are :D

Colonel said:
Swedes-Norse---> Norseman are basically another name for Swedes

'Scuse-moi, WHAT? :eek: The Swedes, Norse, Finns and Danes are altogether different. I might as well say germans and the french are essentially the same thing. :cool:

Azash said:
'Scuse-moi, WHAT? :eek: The Swedes, Norse, Finns and Danes are altogether different. I might as well say germans and the french are essentially the same thing. :cool:
I think you're mistaking Norse for Norwegans. As I see it - the Swedes, Norwegans and the Danes have a shared Norse ancestry(?), in the Norse religion, culture and mythology etc.

I'm extremely pleased that you included the Aboriginal population of Australia rather than the white population.

However, what about the Olmecs and Anasazi of South America. THe Olmecs were the first civilization in South America.

I'm gladf to see that someone else has recognised the global dominance of the Tihuanuco.

Alot of those aren't civs there just groups of ethnic groups such as the Inuits and others are just tribes or groups of tribes like the sioux or the Aborigine.You cant realy have nomadic peoples in civ dosen't realy work.Glad you put the Khmers and Phoenecia in people often forget those two.

Canada! Normally, when somebody proposes a 20 civ list with canada, I just laugh, but when I see a 65 civ list with canda and no quebec, I say NO! I don't know a lot of Canada, but I think Quebec has a way more unique culture, since we are the only french-speakers in North America (OK, Acadia, Louisianna, there are some in Manitoba). If there were 65 civ in the game, I would expect Quebec to be one of them. And I am serious. Especially if Canada is in. Replace them or declare war!
About the other civ I have nothing to say that is too obvious. Just repeat what the other said. And put the algonquians in. They were great. I would put them in a 18 civ selection, so I think they diserve toi be in a 65 civ list.

Loppan Torkel said:
I think you're mistaking Norse for Norwegans. As I see it - the Swedes, Norwegans and the Danes have a shared Norse ancestry(?), in the Norse religion, culture and mythology etc.

We do, but that's no reason to lump all of the norse culture under "swedes".

I am fine with a norse civ representing all of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, but it should be norse, not swedish, as Colonel seems to think. Way to go to piss of a norwegian. ;)

there are some repeats and some goofy civs..but all in all..its a very map filling list. and as far as quebec.. i know alot of canada and yes the cultures vary between english and french..but mainly on the basis of language..the main roots of the modern cultures both stem from the colonies upper and lower canda and the french canada...these cultures make up the unified culture of canada...which is as different to america as england is to america.. i think the idea of canada is very good..as long as there willing to provide for the presence of french canadians into the civs culture(ie,, cities..units..etc.) as far as making quebec a civ..they tried that in 95..over half called themselves canadian then..it would be like breaking down the us into northern culture and southern culture...once again was tried before...and again ...it too proved the strength of the unified culture

Over half? We were stolen! Well, I wasn't there (I was 5 years old), but I know it. It was like a few votes less for "yes". I don't know how many, but anyway. I still think that Quebec diserves a civ more than Canada. We all know a Canda civ would represent Ontario, and Montreal, even if being for a long time the biggest city of Canada, would be the third or fourth city of Canada. Ottawa would be the capital, even if Quebec could also be there, and then there would be Toronto, and Montreal. Historically, Quebec should be the capital, then Montreal.

i definity agree that quebec has huge cultural importance in canada..but i fell that the union of the two cultures is what makes the culture itself. i know the vote was close..but there was alot of political misguiding that made people vote so close..(keeping canada currency for one). Also newfoundland was independant from canada for a very long time..so in essence they should also be a different civ? i dont think so...im not trying to down play quebec..its an awsome place..awsome people(as long as you speek french) and awsome culture..but it is also an awsome piece of "canadian" culture. just as the alantic coast or "newfie" culture is

But Newfounland was still to England, while Quebec started as a French colony, which is why it is so different.

i totally agree..i just think the break down of sub cultures would cause an extream amount of civs...(puerto rico. bavarian. welsh. ) im generally opposed to civs that spin off colonies anyways..(america, canada, austrailia) but as was disscused in the "civ being racist" forum...they are popular culture and target markets. i dont think quebec would be a bad civ..but it would mean that you would also have to start getting really civ specific in breaking down almost every civ in the game into sub culture civs. my general rule ...stay with domanating cultures or civs..but dont forget to include aspects of the civs very important sub cultures. as a side note you were right about the closeness of the vote..about 1%. but im sure canadians and la quebecois are both glad that they decided to stay canadian :)

TheBB said:
We do, but that's no reason to lump all of the norse culture under "swedes".

I am fine with a norse civ representing all of Norway, Sweden and Denmark, but it should be norse, not swedish, as Colonel seems to think. Way to go to piss of a norwegian. ;)
No of course not...I didn't say Colonel was right either :) . The topicstarter had Danes, Swedes and Norse as seperate civs, with the Norse representing the Vikings I suspect.

I'd be fine with a Scandinavian/Norse civ, representing Sweden, Norway and Denmark, too, but I wouldn't mind if Sweden was in as a seperate civ, representing Sweden...

The referendum was not "stolen". =P The No side won legitimately, albeit by a very small margin of 60,000 votes.

I've lived on the border of Quebec and Ontario all my life, and from my point of view, the Anglophone and Francophone cultures in Canada are far too integrated to be seperated. I will grant that Quebec and Ontario are different, but no more so than Alberta and Newfoundland. It's a diverse country.

I think better point is that this list will never even be in a mod, the most we can expect is 30-35 civs as it was in Civ3 but I would suspect that no one will even do that as the world maps are a bit smaller so you cant make an uberly large world map.

Added -

Algonquins
Anasazi (I cannot believe I forgot them)
Quebec
Olmecs

Bringing the grand total to SIXTY NINE! Yeah!

I admit a few are goofy and there is some overlap, but I really don't think any deserve to be left out.

Top Bottom