Size One Trick

KnightTemp

Chieftain
Sorry to ask an obvious question :confused:, but could anyone point me in the direction of information about the Size One Trick, please? I see it mentioned often, but haven't seen an explanation of what it is!!

Many thanks!!

Normally when a size one city creates a settler, the city disbands, something you probably want to avoid. But it does NOT disband if it is your ONLY city*. It does not lose any food from its foodbox either.

This is a great trick to use when you start a game with only one settler. Found a city, and place the worker on a high-shield tile such as forest. Make a settler in about 12-15 turns. Then your city grows to size two (this may occur within just a few turns if you've played around with the workers creatively). Then you can make another settler quickly, with a nice start to your game. Variations are possible (making two settlers from the size one, etc) but they are less useful IMO.

* I may be forgetting other requirements/details. Not sure if the city has to be your capital (but in practice it always is). Also, not sure what happens at chieftain level (IIRC cities never disband there?).

Ali: Why? I think Grigor agrees, but I have some doubts. To gain a food box and maybe a few roads/etc, you must delay your 2nd city about 10 turns. So, without doing much analysis, this seems "fair", but not great. I consider it each time, but usually decide against it (depends on terrain/huts/etc). Have you analyzed it deeper than that ?

Having tried this, it doesn't work. the shields for the settler in the size one capital go on building below the box, and a settler isn't produced.

Would this be a version problem?

I'm not sure how to find out what version my CivII is.

Many thanks.

Having tried this, it doesn't work. the shields for the settler in the size one capital go on building below the box, and a settler isn't produced.

Would this be a version problem?

I wouldn't say it's a "problem". It was probably a bug in the first place and was fixed in some later version.

I'm not sure how to find out what version my CivII is.

Start/load a game, press Ctrl+O, read the title of the Game Options screen that pops up.

Ali: Why? ... I consider it each time, but usually decide against it (depends on terrain/huts/etc). Have you analyzed it deeper than that ?
No I have not.
But then again, I rarely make a second city with my initial None settler anyways. You have a point though and it is worth a study.

Wow...
i never knew that this would occur.
When playing diety one starts with 2 settlers. I have always tried to keep one "NONE" settler working throughout the game and enjoy it especially if i get Leonardo's Workshop to upgrade him to a "NONE" engineer.
:)
I can sure see how when playing GOTM it can become highly advantages to know all these little tricks.
Cool...
AZA

That would be because you didn't have the shields to maintain it.

Top Bottom