1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Skirmisher Units

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Stalker0, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Weren’t you just complaining in the other thread about how we’re tweaking units too much? ;)

CrazyG likes this.
  2. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Yes I was. My proposed unit tweaks have been on the mods repository virtually unchanged for 2 months (I only had to tweak CS/RCS values and remove the skirmisher doctrine bonuses when that came out). I continue to to use that for my own games.

I don’t like the skirmisher doctrine, and giving skirmishers logistics and an XP penalty is not much better from a complexity standpoint. I did this because people asked me to.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Awesome, I will give it a shot!

JamesNinelives likes this.
  4. azum4roll

azum4roll Prince

Love it. Can they also get 1xp from pillaging? Just to provide an alternative way to gain xp and fit the theme of skirmishing.

The whole 2 shots per turn + -30% RCS when attacking + -50% combat xp thing isn't really more complicated than the existing +CS/RCS in open and -CS/RCS in rough promotion and the Covering Fire promotions. We can further simplify it into just one promotion if needed and remove Logistics from the promotion tree. In that case change the attack malus to -50% and adjust their RCS accordingly so they aren't one-shotted by the archer line.

5. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Ooooooh CrazyG is gonna be so maaaaad at youuuuu :mischief:
    Skirmishers share a promotion tree with archer units, so giving logistics for free was less work than figuring out how to conditionally disable it. You also wanted the -30% RCS intact, so it's logistics.
    If we were to go that route and prioritize condensing the promotions I would want to go all the way

Mounted units
    - can move after attack
    - penalty vs cities
    - no terrain defensive bonuses

Skirmishers
    - can move after attack
    - penalty vs cities
    - no terrain defensive bonuses
    - Penalty vs naval
    - bonus/malus in rough terrain --or-- can attack twice/-30RCS/-50%XP

Combined with the Embarkation promotion, skirmishers have so many base promotions that a level 3 unit has already run off the page with earned promotions

6. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

I'll be releasing a new version of PFEUI, maybe even today, but certainly sometime this week, which groups more of the promos together and, more importantly, makes sure the order is useful and consistent, which is not really the case with v 2 or vanilla VP (it also fixes some bugs). This can even be useful for those who don't want the little icons above the units as you can simply disable them in the settings file, so you'll only have the changes to promotion grouping, promotion ordering and tool tip simplification; for some units the promo row is still too large to be fully displayed when they are highly promoted, but the promos you don't see will usually be rather unimportant and the mod also enables scrolling of the promotion row so you can actually view all promos and check their tool tips no matter how long the line is.

Rhys DeAnno and vyyt like this.
  7. azum4roll

azum4roll Prince

Hiding common easy to remember promotions like "Can move after attacking" and "No melee attack" would be nice. Maybe keep naval inaccuracy and variants since I can never remember what percentage they are.

Kim Dong Un, Heinz_Guderian and vyyt like this.