Skyn's Canada (alpha)

Skyzoh

Chieftain
Hi all and welcome to my first Civ 6 (alpha) mod!

As you can infer from the title, this is my own take to Canada as a civilization. It's almost complete so I wanted to have some early feedback. I wanted to make a civ that was fun to play and balanced.

#1 So first, here's what's left to do
- I'm currently using JFD asset's for William Mackenzie King (leader) and Mountie (unit) from his take of Canada (you can find it here). I couldn't get his okay to use these assets for my mod, so I'll redo the Mountie and slap an image for the leader for the final version.
- I'm still missing a few custom icons and assets; namely : stuff for the hockey arena, the image for the moments for the unique units and improvements, the icon for the unique improvements. I'm currently working on them.
- A lot of text and quotes to fill
- I can't figure out why my leader image in-game (the face in the top right corner) still display as a "?"

#2 Here is what the civ has so far
I wanted to make a civ that could take advantage of tundra/snow tiles and that also took advantage of the new loyalty mechanics.

Civ-trait : Scattered and cold hardened

Ability to build "seasonal farms" on tundra tile. Same bonus as normal farms BUT get +1 food for adjacency from pasture and +1 food from the electricity tech. The pasture also get +1 production adjacency bonus from seasonal farms with steam power (like for outback station). I also added cattle and horse to the possible resources on tundra tiles.
Lumber mill on tundra tiles also give +1 food and +1 gold (and additional bonus gold with later tech) because->Maple Syrup

Unique improvement : hockey arena
same bonus as golf course BUT also add +3 loyalty in city in exchange for only being buildable on flat snow/tundra at first (and every flat tile once electricity has been researched)

Unique Units
- Coureur des bois : replace scout : a lot weaker at combat, but can cross river at no additional cost and ignore Zone of control
- Mounties : replace cavalry. Gain range attack (1 range) and provide additional loyalty in city when garissoned

Leader : William Lyon Mackenzie King
trait : Conscription and Diplomacy
- When at war with at least one major civ : Conscription is in effect : it gives +50% production, +25% gold and -25 loyalty in cities
- When at peace with every civ : gains +5% science, +3 envoy points per turn and +10% loyalty pressure from your city

#3 What might change
As I said, I wanted to make a civ that offered a different playstyle and that was not OP. I tried to do that by giving Canada double edged swords : tundra offer poor resources but they can build improvements to compensate, they have 2 unique units but the coureur are super- weak, they got a dual leader traits but the -25 loyalty will hurt a lot during war-time (mitigated by hockey arena and mounties). but, given how many bonus Canada still get, it's hard for me to evaluate if they're balanced or broken, so I hope i get some feedback to balance things out!

I also got a few good suggestions for Unique Units from a thread I posted in reddit. I'd like to give Canada extra UU and I'm wondering if adding a malus to the units would help the game to remain balanced. I'm open to suggestion
Sniper : replace Spec Ops : a lot squisher but +1 extra range
Avro Jet : extra range but extra cost and maintenance
Blue helmet : replace infantry : weak when attacking but strong when defending and heal adjacent +5/turn.

Attachments

• Canada.zip
    24.1 MB · Views: 236
What is it with Canadian mods and this focus on tundra tiles? I know we have bad winters (objectively the worst in the world for cities of comparable size except for Moscow), but by and large Canadians stay as far the hell away as they can from the tundra. Heck, well over 90% of the population lives outside the boreal forest areas. FWIW the idea I'd come with was something like First Sector Economy: the first time you improve a resource of each category—i.e. bonus, strategic, luxury—, the city gets +1 housing. I like how later strategic resource discoveries can thus cause a "population boom" like in real life.

Re: the loyalty thing, using trade to increase loyalty (i.e. as with the CP) would be interesting (the same way the game creates religious pressure). So you could flip vulnerable cities by sending a bunch of trade routes, or secure your own weak ones.

For the Blue Helmet, I like the idea of a melee unit that gets a free ranged attack if another Canadian or allied unit is attacked within range, but I don't think the game would allow that? (Maye this could be modeled using a variant pf the Varu's ability instead). Attacking a Blue Helmet should trigger warmonger penalties too IMO.

Top Bottom