Slava Bogu! A Russian History Quiz

Vrylakas

The Verbose Lord
Greetings,

The 2nd runner-up in my poll for quizzes was a Russian History quiz, so here goes:

1. Three modern countries can all claim to be equally derived from the early kingdom of Rus, although one of the three pretends it is the sole hier. What are the three countries?

2. Why was Rus founded, and by whom?

3. Where does the name "Rus" come from? (If you answered #2 right then this one is easy.)

4. At the end of the 10th century, Prince Vladimir expanded Rus territory and brought Christianity (eventually) to his lands through his increasingly cosmopolitan capital, Ki'iv (Kiev). Vladimir was the first Slavified Rus ruler; what does his name mean?

5. The Mongols subjugated the Rus lands from 1239-1280, but the Mongol empire itself had fractured by the completion of this conquest. What is the name of the Mongol-derived state that would dominate the Rus lands until the 16th century?

6. True or false: The Mongol onslaught had destroyed the Rus kingdom's unity, breaking it into several smaller states?

7. In the decades after the Mongol conquest, a state to the west of old Rus began to conquer many of the western Rus lands, holding off the Mongols, as far as the cities of Smolensk, Vitebsk, Minsk and even eventually Kiev itself. This new empire had so many Rus Slavs in its realm that it made their language the empire's official language of business. What empire am I talking about?

8. The same empire in question #7 above conquered the vast and virtually uninhabited southern Rus plains, although (as with every empire who would follow) they never completely controlled them. They called them simply "The End-Lands" or "The Frontier Lands" and the name stuck, to be used by all succeeding rulers of the plains. What has become of the "Frontier Lands" today?

9. What does the Turkish word kazaki refer to?

10. John was born in 1530 to a wealthy family in the state of Muscovy, and by all accounts was an effeminate boy who liked church singing and studying. He would later take a significant vocational "180 degree-turn" and earn himself the Russian nickname "Grozny". How is John better known today?

11. What was the Oprichnina?

12. Modern Russians call the period of 1598-1613 the "Time of Troubles", as a time of civil war, political strife, famine, false Tsars, etc. However, from among the treacherous and warring boyars one arose who suppressed the rebellions, drove the Poles out, and re-united Muscovy for the first time since the early 13th century. Who was this person?

13. In Peter I's time, the city of Moskva (Moscow) had an important section named "Njemjetsky Kvartal". What was this section?

14. Poles, Swedes, French and Germans, Oh My! What do they all have in common vis-a-vis Russia?

15. True or false: The Dane Vitus Bering was commissioned by Peter I in 1719 to establish a western-style factory for making little steel balls that help a wheel turn under pressure in Moscow. Bering was famous for his "ball berings".

16. On 12. April, 1945, U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt died and Adolf Hitler celebrated. Explain what this has to do with Russian history.

17. Catherine the Great (*cough, cough* - sorry...) considered herself very "Enlightened", and kept a famous pen-pal. Who was that pen-pal?

18. The Russian calendar underwent two radical changes in 1918-1920; What were they?

19. Russians love playing "musical names". Who were these people famous in Russian history?

A. Vladimir I. Uljanov
B. Lev D. Bronstein
C. Iosif V. Dzjugashvili

20. What diplomatic distinction does the Soviet Union have in World War II? Hint: This distinction had a major impact on the 1945 settlements.

21. What major demographic record did Russians break in 1991, taking over from the Hungarians who had held the record since 1920?

Good luck folks! :crazyeyes :lol: :D :egypt:

(BTW, my wife, who just looked over my shoulder, liked the smiley faces and demanded I put them in...)

Once more answering questions to which I don't really know the answers...

1. Russia, Ukraine, Belarus

2. By the Vikings as a trading center.

3. Wasn't it the name of the scandahoovians who came to set up camp?

4. Vladimir = ???

5. Tartar?

6. false

7. Poland

8. Ukraine's steppes, the breadbasket of eurasia?

9. a tent?

10. Ivan the Terrible

11. beats me... :confused:

12. I've nary a clue

13. something quarter, I dunno...

14. They've all conquered parts of russia

15. false, the ball bearing was invented by the Norwegian engineer Helmut Bearing. :crazyeyes

16. He thought the US would leave him alone, and he could resist the ruskie onslaught

17. Un admirador secreto, ... gads, I actually used to know this one!

18. Shift to the gregorian calendar; erasure of unacceptable dates from history

19. A. Lenin; B. ?; C. Stalin

20. huh? Need a small clue as to what you are asking...

21. Largest number of their citizens working abroad?

Sodak wrote:

Once more answering questions to which I don't really know the answers...

Sounds like my life.

1. Russia, Ukraine, Belarus

Yes! I thought that one would be harder than that.

2. By the Vikings as a trading center.

Yes! Swedish Vikings called Varangians needed a mid-way safe trading and storage area along the Dniepr, which was on their route to Byzantium and the Arab lands. The Swedes traded with and fought as mercenaries for both. Riurik and his son Oleg established Rus on the border between the northern forests and the southern plains - an area inhabited by many nomadic equestrian peoples (Pechenegs, Cumanians, Bulgars, Khazars, etc.).

3. Wasn't it the name of the scandahoovians who came to set up camp?

Yes! They were known for their red hair and facial complexions, so they were called by their fellow Vikings "Rus"/"Ros" (= Red). The modern Russian name for Russia is "Rossija".

4. Vladimir = ???

5. Tartar?

No, but close. Tartar was the name given to the people of this state, a mix of Mongol, Turkic and Iranian peoples who would terrorize the southern frontier for centuries. However, I was looking for the name of their state, or at least as the Russians and Europe called it.

6. false

Right! Kieven Rus had actually imploded into civil war and factions in the decades preceding the Mongol attack, making Subatai's job that much easier.

7. Poland

No! Poland would come later.

8. Ukraine's steppes, the breadbasket of eurasia?

Whoa! Another hard one I thought would be around for a while. Good call on this one Sodak! The Poles and Russians would later translate the Lithuanians' name "Frontier" into "The Land at the End"; U-Krajina. The name stuck, and after spending several centuries under first Polish, then Russian rule Ukraine is indepenedent today.

9. a tent?

Nyet!

10. Ivan the Terrible

Yes! Ivan Grozny = "John the Terrible".

11. beats me...

12. I've nary a clue

13. something quarter, I dunno...

Yes, you're halfway there!

14. They've all conquered parts of russia

Close enough; they've all attempted to either conquer major parts of Russia (and all succeeded to a certain extent in their time) or reduce Russian regional influence through conquest.

15. false, the ball bearing was invented by the Norwegian engineer Helmut Bearing.

OK - yer right! Now can you tell me what Vitus Bering was commissioned to do...?

16. He thought the US would leave him alone, and he could resist the ruskie onslaught

Hmmm, kinda sorta but he had something specific in mind.

17. Un admirador secreto, ... gads, I actually used to know this one!

And the name is...?

18. Shift to the gregorian calendar; erasure of unacceptable dates from history

Half-point on this one. Yes, Lenin shifted Russia to the Gregorian calendar (which is why subsequent Soviet celebrations of the Great October Revolution were held on 7. November). However, while of course the Bolsheviks erased unacceptable dates from Russian history books I was looking for something odd connected to the calendar itself. It's a bit difficult, so for a hint I'd advise you to ask a Slavic person about their calendar. Any Slavic person will do.

19. A. Lenin; B. ?; C. Stalin

Yes on those two! Now who's B?

20. huh? Need a small clue as to what you are asking...

Hmmm, let's see... Looking at the whole scope of World War II for the Soviets, they have a rather obvious diplomatic oddity that was nicely ignored at war's end, to some people's dismay...

21. Largest number of their citizens working abroad?

Very, VERY close - but no.

Nice run Sodak - for someone who claims not to know anything about Russian history, you cracked some tough questions!

Heh, here are my guesses.

14. Poles, Swedes, French, Germans: They all invaded Russia or Soviet Union.
Swedes: Not sure of date, 1600's to early 1700's?
French: Napolean's invasion, circa 1815? (unsure of date)
Poles: Soviet-Polish war, 1920. Poles thought they could take advantage of the civil war, they took Kiev. Soviet's rallied, nearly took Warsaw.
Germans: June 1941, Operation Barbarossa, invade Soviet Union.

16. He thought he would see a repeat of what happened to Frederick the Great. Fredrick's enemy died, thus saving Prussia.

18. Shift to Gregorian calender. (the October revolution happened in November :) ).

20. Interesting Soviet diplomatic states in 1945.
a. They were not at war with Japan until late August. They did invade Manchuria, which helped convince the Japanese the war was over. But I guess this is why they did not help occupy Japan proper.

I am late. :( So for the remaining questions ....

"5. The Mongols subjugated the Rus lands from 1239-1280, but the Mongol empire itself had fractured by the completion of this conquest. What is the name of the Mongol-derived state that would dominate the Rus lands until the 16th century?"

The Golden Horde.

"7. In the decades after the Mongol conquest, a state to the west of old Rus began to conquer many of the western Rus lands, holding off the Mongols, as far as the cities of Smolensk, Vitebsk, Minsk and even eventually Kiev itself. This new empire had so many Rus Slavs in its realm that it made their language the empire's official language of business. What empire am I talking about?"

Lithuania. But you have answered it yourself. ;)

"12. Modern Russians call the period of 1598-1613 the "Time of Troubles", as a time of civil war, political strife, famine, false Tsars, etc. However, from among the treacherous and warring boyars one arose who suppressed the rebellions, drove the Poles out, and re-united Muscovy for the first time since the early 13th century. Who was this person?"

Michael Romanov, the founder of the Romanov dynasty.

"13. In Peter I's time, the city of Moskva (Moscow) had an important section named "Njemjetsky Kvartal". What was this section?"

The Foreign Quarter?

"17. Catherine the Great (*cough, cough* - sorry...) considered herself very "Enlightened", and kept a famous pen-pal. Who was that pen-pal?"

Voltaire?

"19. Russians love playing "musical names". Who were these people famous in Russian history?

A. Vladimir I. Uljanov
B. Lev D. Bronstein
C. Iosif V. Dzjugashvili"

B for Brezhne.

"21. What major demographic record did Russians break in 1991, taking over from the Hungarians who had held the record since 1920?"

Highest negative population growth-rate?

Lenin (Man of Iron), Trotsky (Man of Horseraces;) ), Stalin (Man of Steel)
B = Trotsky.
Lev Davidiovich Bronstein, became Leon Trotsky.
Also known as "The Pen", I do believe, and later for his famous last words "Is that an icepick in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? Oh, it is. Oh sh1t."
(I know this is innaccurate, but just wish to amuse myself)

PinkyGen wrote:

Heh, here are my guesses.

14. Poles, Swedes, French, Germans: They all invaded Russia or Soviet Union.
Swedes: Not sure of date, 1600's to early 1700's?
French: Napolean's invasion, circa 1815? (unsure of date)
Poles: Soviet-Polish war, 1920. Poles thought they could take advantage of the civil war, they took Kiev. Soviet's rallied, nearly took Warsaw.
Germans: June 1941, Operation Barbarossa, invade Soviet Union.

I'll say yes to this one, though you're a bit off on the dates. The Poles made a habit of stomping on Russia in the 15th and 16th centuries, the Swedes invaded in earnest in the Great Northern War (1700-1721), you're right on Napoleon's French invasion in 1812-1813, and of course the German invasions took place during the world wars.

16. He thought he would see a repeat of what happened to Frederick the Great. Fredrick's enemy died, thus saving Prussia.

Yes! Hitler equated Catherine the Great's acsension to the Tsarist throne with Roosevelt's death. However, the reason Friedrich die Grosse was saved was merely because Catherine admired German culture, not because ofa defeat in the field. For the same to work in 1945, Hitler needed Harry Truman to be pro-German, which he was not...

18. Shift to Gregorian calender. (the October revolution happened in November).

OK, yes, that's half of it. The other half?

20. Interesting Soviet diplomatic states in 1945.
a. They were not at war with Japan until late August. They did invade Manchuria, which helped convince the Japanese the war was over. But I guess this is why they did not help occupy Japan proper.

Hmmmm, I was thinking something that stretched the whole war. You're right and this is another diplomatic anamoly, that the Soviets were allowed by the western Allies to remain neutral through most of the Asia-Pacific war, but I was looking towards something broader.

Good job PinkyGen!

Knight-Dragon wrote:

I am late. So for the remaining questions ....

"5. The Mongols subjugated the Rus lands from 1239-1280, but the Mongol empire itself had fractured by the completion of this conquest. What is the name of the Mongol-derived state that would dominate the Rus lands until the 16th century?"

The Golden Horde.

Yes!

"7. In the decades after the Mongol conquest, a state to the west of old Rus began to conquer many of the western Rus lands, holding off the Mongols, as far as the cities of Smolensk, Vitebsk, Minsk and even eventually Kiev itself. This new empire had so many Rus Slavs in its realm that it made their language the empire's official language of business. What empire am I talking about?"

Lithuania. But you have answered it yourself.

Yes! Where did I answer this? In my Polish history quiz?

"12. Modern Russians call the period of 1598-1613 the "Time of Troubles", as a time of civil war, political strife, famine, false Tsars, etc. However, from among the treacherous and warring boyars one arose who suppressed the rebellions, drove the Poles out, and re-united Muscovy for the first time since the early 13th century. Who was this person?"

Michael Romanov, the founder of the Romanov dynasty.

Yes!

"13. In Peter I's time, the city of Moskva (Moscow) had an important section named "Njemjetsky Kvartal". What was this section?"

The Foreign Quarter?

Yes! "Njemjetsky Kvartal" literally translates as "German Quarter", but it was the section of Moscow that Peter I set aside for Western craftsmen, businessmen, merchants, etc., etc., to live in Russia. It was filled with Scots, Danes, Frenchmen, Dutchmen, Poles, etc. as well as Germans.

"17. Catherine the Great (*cough, cough* - sorry...) considered herself very "Enlightened", and kept a famous pen-pal. Who was that pen-pal?"

Voltaire?

Yes! Voltaire in his long and twisting career admired many tyrants, Catherine among them. hge spent time at Friedrich die Grosse's court before becoming disillusioned and moving on to Catherine the Great. For a decade or so he claimed that Russia's government under Catherine was the highest form of human governance, and the rest of Europe should emulate her. he had bitter public arguments with Rousseau over this. Eventually, Voltaire began to see things a little diffferently....

"19. Russians love playing "musical names". Who were these people famous in Russian history?

A. Vladimir I. Uljanov
B. Lev D. Bronstein
C. Iosif V. Dzjugashvili"

B for Brezhne.

No.

"21. What major demographic record did Russians break in 1991, taking over from the Hungarians who had held the record since 1920?"

Highest negative population growth-rate?

They may be heading for that demographic award soon too, but no.

Great one Knight-Dragon! Wow, we're going to wrap this one up quick. You guys are on top of your Russian history!

Simon Darkshade wrote:

Lenin (Man of Iron), Trotsky (Man of Horseraces ), Stalin (Man of Steel)
B = Trotsky.
Lev Davidiovich Bronstein, became Leon Trotsky.
Also known as "The Pen", I do believe, and later for his famous last words "Is that an icepick in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? Oh, it is. Oh sh1t."
(I know this is innaccurate, but just wish to amuse myself)

Yes on all three! I expected everyone to know the first and the last, but I knew Trotsky would trip a few up. Good one Simon! And you amused more than yourself with that one...

OK folks, we only have 4, 9, 11, half of 18, 20 and 21 left! Also, I'd like some clarification on # 15...

"7. In the decades after the Mongol conquest, a state to the west of old Rus began to conquer many of the western Rus lands, holding off the Mongols, as far as the cities of Smolensk, Vitebsk, Minsk and even eventually Kiev itself. This new empire had so many Rus Slavs in its realm that it made their language the empire's official language of business. What empire am I talking about?

Yes! Where did I answer this? In my Polish history quiz?"

In your answer to Sodak's no 8, you stated it, sort-of. But I thought it was Lithuania anyway cos saw a map once and I think they got a huge swath of what's Belorussia now at one time.

"Great one Knight-Dragon! Wow, we're going to wrap this one up quick. You guys are on top of your Russian history!"

Not really. Mostly wild guesses for me. :p

I shoulda known the answer to 19b, as I just finished re-reading Anna Karenin...

15) I'd suspect the Bering strait must be named after Heer Bering - was he commissioned to find a northern sea passage to east asia?

21) Slightly modified original answer: The most (or greatest % of) citizens living abroad?

My cube neighbor here at work is a Russian who could fill in the rest of the pieces, but she's on vacation this week. Maybe somebody else can answer them in the meantime...

Sodak wrote:

I shoulda known the answer to 19b, as I just finished re-reading Anna Karenin...

15) I'd suspect the Bering strait must be named after Heer Bering - was he commissioned to find a northern sea passage to east asia?

Close enough. Yes, Peter I hired the Danish explorer to explore Siberia. The Bering Strait is indeed named after its European discoverer. Bering also laid the foundations for Russian claims in America, from Alaska all the way down to Fort Wrangel (modern San Francisco).

21) Slightly modified original answer: The most (or greatest % of) citizens living abroad?

Slightly modified reply: Sort of. Yer so close that I think I'll cave; when the Soviet Union collapsed and disintegrated it left millions of ethnic Russians suddenly in newly-independent countries. In this way, Russians suddenly became the largest ethnic minority in Europe. The Hungarians had been holding this record since the Treaty of Trianon in 1920 that ended World War I for Hungary and took away two-thirds of its territory, leaving then 3 million Hungarians as minorities abroad (5 million in 1991 when the Russians took over).

My cube neighbor here at work is a Russian who could fill in the rest of the pieces, but she's on vacation this week. Maybe somebody else can answer them in the meantime...

Remember, as in real life cheating is always allowed. Good run so far Sodak!

I'm amazed how quickly this one is going! Here are some hints for the remaining...

4. Two words; if you find out what the name for the Russian city of Vladivostok means, then yer really close....

9. Say it to yourself a few times slowly. You'll get it because nearly all languages have since adopted a form of this word to describe a phenomenon in Russian and Eastern European history.

11. There've been books written about the Oprichnina equating it to modern times, though some Russians get really pi**ed when they see these.

20. The difference between Litvinov and Molotov, and why one got the other's job.

Good luck!

Knight-Dragon wrote:

Yes! Where did I answer this? In my Polish history quiz?"

In your answer to Sodak's no 8, you stated it, sort-of. But I thought it was Lithuania anyway cos saw a map once and I think they got a huge swath of what's Belorussia now at one time.

Vrylakas wrote (in response to Sodak):
Whoa! Another hard one I thought would be around for a while. Good call on this one Sodak! The Poles and Russians would later translate the Lithuanians' name "Frontier" into "The Land at the End"; U-Krajina. The name stuck, and after spending several centuries under first Polish, then Russian rule Ukraine is indepenedent today.

Doh! :suicide:

"4. Two words; if you find out what the name for the Russian city of Vladivostok means, then yer really close...."

I know Vladivostok stands for Rise of the East or something. Can't remember. :( So Vladimir means er ......

"20. The difference between Litvinov and Molotov, and why one got the other's job."

I only know Molotov was the one who signed the Non-aggression Treaty with Nazi Germany, subsequently broken when the Germans invaded Russia en masse.

Knight-Dragon wrote:

"4. Two words; if you find out what the name for the Russian city of Vladivostok means, then yer really close...."

I know Vladivostok stands for Rise of the East or something. Can't remember. So Vladimir means er ......

OK, close enough. Vladimir (Vladi-Mir) means "Conquerer of the World"; "Vladivostok" means "Conquerer of the East". The usual modest Russian names.

"20. The difference between Litvinov and Molotov, and why one got the other's job."

I only know Molotov was the one who signed the Non-aggression Treaty with Nazi Germany, subsequently broken when the Germans invaded Russia en masse.

OK, yer really close on this one! Finish it!

"20. The difference between Litvinov and Molotov, and why one got the other's job.

OK, yer really close on this one! Finish it!"

Wild guess - the Soviets had a treaty with the Nazis in which they got the Baltic States, White Russia, parts of Poland etc. Which the Western Allies would still honour after WW2.

Knight-Dragon wrote:

"20. The difference between Litvinov and Molotov, and why one got the other's job.

OK, yer really close on this one! Finish it!"

Wild guess - the Soviets had a treaty with the Nazis in which they got the Baltic States, White Russia, parts of Poland etc. Which the Western Allies would still honour after WW2.

Yes! You're dangerous with your wild guesses! The Soviet Union was the only major power in World War II to be allied to (at different times) both Adolf Hitler (1939-1941) and Churchill & Roosevelt (1941-1945). After dividing Eastern Europe with Hitler in 1939 and being betrayed in 1941, Stalin was able to keep all of the territorial gains he planned with Hitler in 1945: Eastern Poland, Karelia, the Baltic countries, Bessarabia and Bukovina (eastern Moldavia). And to boot he got half of eastern Prussia and Trans-Carpathia! Litvinov was the Soviet Foreign Minister throughout the 1930s who had successfully opened up the West to Soviet diplomatic recognition, but when Stalin went for a German alliance he got rid of the Jewish Litvinov and replaced him with Molotov.

Great one Knight-Dragon!

Top Bottom