Slaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

disorganizer

Deity
this is a discussion about a topic which arose in a chat tonite:

should we have slaves like the real romans did?

i think yes... but with good rules around it...

my proposal:

1) Slaves are NPC's
2) Slaves have no right to claim citizenship until freed
3) Slaves cost a amount of gold and/or shields and food (yet to be defined how much) per slave
4) There has to be a seperate room in the house where the slaves reside. and enough space there. the room may be in a seperate house on the same grounds as where they work.
5) Slaves can take any job except any administrative or official job for the nation. They can be teachers, businessmen etc.
6) Slaves have no ownership. They own nothing as they are only "Items"

7) Slaves can be freed at any time either:
* by revolt
* by command of the current leader (king, despot, ...)
* by their owner
8) a freed Slave gets normal citizenship and can do anything like a normal citizen
9) Slavery ends with the discovery of democraty

now thats it ... comments? suggestions? it would be good if we get a ruleset for this up and running.

Civ: you are right... maybe nationalism would be best (with dyp it would be clear though :p ) or is there another "fitting" tech?

Btw:
we should "incarnate" the habits of the romans of letting their slaves only have surnames, no family names.
On freeing, they will be given the family name of their former owner.

Btw2:
Slaves can also inherit freedom (after col... when we get "last wills") and other things. That was a quiete common form of freedom back then.

@plexus: good idea. as slaves were in fact a kind of caste in the roman empire (note that they were not cheap!).

for the payment:
in my mind i see
* a fixed payment to the void for each created slave upon creation
* regular payment of 1 food per slave per turnchat to the void

We should have slaves in the game. I am in support of this idea. They should cost commerce to buy and food to maintain.

Originally posted by Civanator
I think it should end with nationalism, because in America we had a Democracy and we still had slavery. Around Nationalism (American Civil War) should slavery be abolished.

No, I would say Industrialization. One of the reasons for the civil war (IIRC from my history books) was that the north was becoming Industrialized, and the south still wanted the slave "economy".

CT has a good point. Also, slaves should cost 1/2 food, because they weren't treated too great back then (no offense). maybe the amount of food they recieve can determine how long they live. Like 1 food equals x% more years. and 1/2 food equals x years.

good idea civ... the more you spend on them, the longer they "hold"... we could have different "qualities" for slaves for different buy-prices. defining the "max-age" which is then modified by the spend food maintenance (0 food will get them to die VERY fast, 1 will be 50%, 2 will be 100% of that, %-ages halved after democracy)

Actually, I think it's kind of a sick idea. If we have slaves in this game, we should have had concentration camps in the last one. Concentration camps were historically correct, weren't they? Or do we only trash Christian's here at CFC?

actually the muslims were an important part of the slave trade, if anything, this is a knock against christians and muslims.

We also should delve into the idea of polygamy and prostitution while we're at it.

But yes cyc, christians are insulted routinely in the off topic, but here Im not so sure.

I agree with Cyc. There is no need to delve into the minutiae of the slave trade. There is certainly no need for rules on how to have slavery. Unless you are going to detail every farmhand and helper NPC then it's just sensationalism to detail slaves.

I disagree with Cyc and Shaitan. Slaves were an important part of society in most cultures until the 19th century. They represented the lowest rung on the social ladder, and they did much labor for the free people. Almost every major civilization had slaves at some point. This is not a knock against Christians and Muslims, because almost every culture owned them. This would make the RPG much more realistic. I do not support slavery, of course, but we should have it to make this game more realistic and to make it more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom