Slavic Federation

Stigmatus

Chieftain
I really wish Firaxis will design SF to be a proper Militaristic and agressive faction. Not just a faction ruled by the general but dystopian and orwellian police state. Beyond Earth is much more optimistic than Alpha Centauri was, but a good dystopia will always be welcome.

I really wish Firaxis will design SF to be a proper Militaristic and agressive faction. Not just a faction ruled by the general but dystopian and orwellian police state.
People have already complained about such stereotypical (potential) portrayal of a not-Soviet Union. I'm okay with a "greater" Russia as long as they give it a twist of some sort. Tangentially, it'd be even better if the former United States were the openly imperial and oppressive faction, for a change, but there's always a reluctance to portray Americans as anything but good.

So far, however, only Brazilia has been (close to) confirmed to be explicitly militaristic.

Also, as it's been said time and time again, General Kozlov is the leader of the expedition. Not the head of the Slavic Federation.

By the way, what's the source art of the first two fan-made posters? The text just looks photoshopped on. :p

I really wish Firaxis will design SF to be a proper Militaristic and agressive faction. Not just a faction ruled by the general but dystopian and orwellian police state. Beyond Earth is much more optimistic than Alpha Centauri was, but a good dystopia will always be welcome.

I really hope they won't, because it's a horrible clichee. I don't mind them being a bit more militarstic than other factions as long as they're not defined by it. We know that Brazilia will be the most militaristic faction, we know from one interview that there'll be one leader who behaves pretty much like monty, and we know from an article that the African Union and the American Reclamation Corporation will be very expansionist in a rapid land grap rather than a military conquest sense. As a slav and disciple of the Church of full-on Tradition Tall Wonder Spammers, I hope the Slavic Federation will have a science and industry focus and maybe a small military bonus mainly useful for early defense.

In American Reclamation Corporation, you can always find a party. In Slavic Federation, Party always find you!

I guess this kind of lame cliché will never get old for some people... :shake:

I find it curious that the title of this thread assumes that the dystopian orwelian war machine is by default the "Russian" faction. The ARC seems way more dystopian to me. Corporations supplanting democracy and waging wars of resource conquest? It's right there!

Can't absolutely agree that cliches are the infernal evil.
1. They adress to something already know, which rings the bell thus causes a little joy.
2. A number of allusions (historical, political, mass-cultural) becomes possible.
3. The general idea of a "cliche-faction" is already tailoring it for a specific gamestyle; when one tries to create something absolutely knew (which IMHO can never end in total success) it usually leads to a chimerical construct just containing a combination of ideas from the Cliches. And this can be quite dangerous, because the bells will still ring, but in a crippled dissonance, so to say.
4. Isn't Civilization series and her relatives are all about so called cliches? Aren't they a big part in the consecutive gameplay joy?

I find it curious that the title of this thread assumes that the dystopian orwelian war machine is by default the "Russian" faction. The ARC seems way more dystopian to me. Corporations supplanting democracy and waging wars of resource conquest? It's right there!

What if it's actually a reasonably democratic corporation, electing a board of directors and managers?

But I agree we shouldn't paint the Russian faction in a bad light by virtue of using the cyrilic alphabet. No need for that.

No. I am against.
It's more appropriate for the militaristic Brazilia.

I think that design of Slavic Federation should be focusing on science, traditions, with a look into a bright future of brotherhood, friendship and unity, and with dominance of smooth lines and white and blue colors (as colors of the sky, space and two of the three Pan-Slavic colors).
In short, both on a Soviet space posters of 70-80s (adjusted for time).
Spoiler So much posters :
Yes, the picture with Da Vinci is Soviet poster

Translations:
1 pic - "We are friends and create. And proclaim peace in space!" (My družim i sozidajem. I v kosmos'e mir utv'erždajem!)
4 pic - "Time, Forward!" (Vr'em'a, vp'er'od! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4qjTVT4j8)
5 pic - "Our flag flutters among the stars." (Naš flag m'ež zv'ozd pološčetsa - from Mayakovsky's "Flying Proletarian" (Летающий Пролетарий))
6 pic - "Glory to the conquerors of space!" (Slava pokorit'el'am kosmosa!)

Can't absolutely agree that cliches are the infernal evil.
1. They adress to something already know, which rings the bell thus causes a little joy.
2. A number of allusions (historical, political, mass-cultural) becomes possible.
3. The general idea of a "cliche-faction" is already tailoring it for a specific gamestyle; when one tries to create something absolutely knew (which IMHO can never end in total success) it usually leads to a chimerical construct just containing a combination of ideas from the Cliches. And this can be quite dangerous, because the bells will still ring, but in a crippled dissonance, so to say.
4. Isn't Civilization series and her relatives are all about so called cliches? Aren't they a big part in the consecutive gameplay joy?

Thank you for that post. I often feel like many members of this forum pretend like it is utterly inconceivable that certain cultural and geographic groups can be associated with certain (sometimes unflattering) things - based on their history and a rough external perception. It's not the goal of Civilization to achieve the maximum political correctness. X identical factions, wow, that would be fun. Or let's make Finland the dystopian, orwellian faction for some reason... because, you know... it would be fair to switch the role of the "bad" guys for once... :crazyeye: If Firaxis would give in to every sensitivity of every person ever posting on this forum, all factions of every game would be about culture and peaceful progress in a liberal society.

Thank you for that post. I often feel like many members of this forum pretend like it is utterly inconceivable that certain cultural and geographic groups can be associated with certain (sometimes unflattering) things - based on their history and a rough external perception. It's not the goal of Civilization to achieve the maximum political correctness. X identical factions, wow, that would be fun. Or let's make Finland the dystopian, orwellian faction for some reason... because, you know... it would be fair to switch the role of the "bad" guys for once... :crazyeye: If Firaxis would give in to every sensitivity of every person ever posting on this forum, all factions of every game would be about culture and peaceful progress in a liberal society.

Its not about sensitivity, its about dullness. I've probably helped to dismantle more soviet-style dictatorships than I've killed nazi troops on western front during my gaming history.

I'm just tired, tired of it and consider it an extremely uncreative desing,

Its not about sensitivity, its about dullness. I've probably helped to dismantle more soviet-style dictatorships than I've killed nazi troops on western front during my gaming history.

I see. I's not my preferred setting either. But I don't see a problem with one of the factions having strong militaristic/autocratic tendencies just because you killed many nazis and soviets. Would you rule that one out as one of many possible emphases of a 4x game or what is your point? Or which faction would you like to get that title? It's far from new, very true. But I think it's okay to have some recognition value in a game that's pretty unique on it's own.

What if it's actually a reasonably democratic corporation, electing a board of directors and managers?

the only people who can elect the board of directors are the stockholders, and they get a vote proportional to the amount of stock they own. i.e. the rich get to determine policy. Hardly democratic.

Unless a certain faction is portrayed as evil, like their currency is souls and they specifically deal with clones, i don't really see a clear cut villain.

Agreed 100%.

Top Bottom