1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Slavs Battlesuit slingshot

Discussion in 'CivBE - Strategy & Tips' started by ggmoyang, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

What's the strength of this strategy?
    • Battlesuit(40:c5strength:) is strongest among the first affinity-specific units, and far stronger than normal units. (Marine: 14, Gunner: 14, Armor: 18 CNDR: 38, Xeno Swarm: 34)
    • Being a affinity-specific unit, it's cost effective than normal units. :)c5production: costs - Battlesuit: 160, Marine: 100, Gunner: 100, Armor: 140)
    • Battlesuit comes faster than any other affinity-specific units with this slingshot.
    How to?
    Use free tech on Bionics then build an Institute, unlock Servomachinery with Institute building quest. This gives 25xp to purity.
    Research Genetic Mapping to get 12xp, and doing a quest(clear 2 alien nests) will make you level 4.

Notes
    • Strategic balance will guarantee a source of Titanium near everyone's starting points.
    • Since quests give a level equivalent xp, you'll need to finish it after you got level 2 Purity. Otherwise you won't reach level 4.
    • If you luckily got a free affinity level, get Servomachinery first. This way you can skip Genetic Mapping. (Or a quest)
    • You can skip Genetic Mapping or a quest with might virtue Martial Meditation(free affinity level). If you go this way, the order of research/quest doesn't matter since you get 20% more xp from techs.
    • Tectonic Scanner would be best spaceship choice for this.
    • At start, build 2~3 Explorers to make sure you get a Solar Collector. If you are extremely unlucky then you'll need to research Ecology.
    • You can use Explorers to clear alien nests after you got a Purity level.
    • You need base economy. Institute is an expensive building and you'll need some production for Battlesuits.
    • Other factions may try this, but will have to research Bionics which is fairly expensive tech in early game. (base cost 770)

Another approach
    Since building quest pops up randomly, this method hard research Bionics and use SF free tech on Servomachinery.

Research Physics first. It's because science from resource pod is 20% of current research. After Physics you may use lucky science boost on Bionics.
    Since time is lost on researching Bionics, I recommend going might and grab Martial Meditation, so you can skip Genetic Mapping. (You still need a quest though)
    With Artists you can easily get 3 prosperity(free colonist) then 5 might.

2. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Nice strategy, but you forgot "Cross your fingers you have titanium nearby!"

Also, pushing down the Might tree synergizes well with this rush. I'm not sure when the free affinity lvl virtue would time out with teching, but you may be able to pass on genetic mapping for some other useful tech.

And if your lands and the lands you conquer lack floatstone (unlikely, but whatever) you can stop at the purity 4 benchmark and start down a different affinity path that would better suit your geography.

edit - Nevermind, purity 3 and then 6 are the benchmarks, not 4.

3. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Since we are starting with Tectonic Scanner and mass Explorers, we will quickly know if there's no Titanium nearby. I doubt if that will happen though. Titanium wasn't too rare in those LPs.

A free affinity level from Might can be useful, But I suspect a free Colonist from Prosperity would be better for production.

4. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

Clever strat! Of course, it'll work best if there's enough floatstone around to make Purity your long-term best affinity choice (I guess you can always go and take that floatstone with your Battlesuits!)

5. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

Sounds like this could be absolutely brutal. Civ V has nothing like this where you can get a unit out with more than double combat strength that only costs a negligible amount of extra production. This alien world is going to be a dangerous place...

6. guczy

guczy Warlord

Actually this strat sounds a lot like the strats from release vanilla civ5....

7. WiseGreen

WiseGreen Warlord

Indeed... Research-agreement-slingshot-powered chivalry runs FTW!

8. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Nah, the vanilla release was:

- Play as Alex
    - Tech Horseback Riding
    - Slaughter continent with CCs

We didn't start mucking about with Research Agreement slingshots until basic horses got nerfed into the ground. This slingshot feels a lot like the early Babylon Riflemen.

It's pretty obvious after just a couple hours that we're all going to be playing Elodie or Koslov heavily until they put some limits on the free beakers from those UAs.

9. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

I learned from vanilla civ5 to not go too crazy about strategies that might be obsolete in a matter of time. Many many patches will patch the patchiest strategies that need to be patched :)

That's why i will not buy the game right away...even then it looks too much like civ 5 actually...what is the real deal with this game? They only replaced civ5 things by alien things. Thats' my PoV.

10. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

The biggest difference in play is the tech web, which lets you rapidly execute an all-in strategy to get to an endgame tech (particularly with the aforementioned leaders), though fully making use of many of those techs requires other research.

It's a neat concept, but it puts a huge burden on the AI coders to teach it to deal with things like fast Battlesuits and midgame Jesus beams. It's also going to put a very fast clock on when the MP bloodbath has to begin.

11. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Fast battlesuits-> Like getting Riflemen when everyone else has swords.

Fast Planet Carver -> Like getting free GDRs when everyone has muskets.

12. Killeritch

Killeritch Chieftain

I have a noobish question about this strat: what's the "Institute building quest" you mention, how do you trigger it? I had a go at playing this strat in a single player game, bulbed bionics, built the Institute, waited a turn and still no quest. I tried looking online but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of the quests.

13. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

14. Killeritch

Killeritch Chieftain

Thanks - am I being thick, do I just need to wait a couple more turns for it to fire? I'll try that.

15. Sad Panda

Sad Panda Chieftain

I made the institute very early and the event still haven't triggered after 40 turns. I have researched battlesuits the slow way by then...

So please, what triggers the quests?

16. kingsbury

kingsbury Warlord

I just came here to post this too. I don't quite get the building quest mechanic, is it at a random time after completion? One building quest per game? The first building you make in a new city?

17. Acken

Acken Deity

People have warned Firaxis that giving free techs with a tech web system is probably a bad idea.

Oh surprise, that's the case.

18. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

Yep all the free techs are gonna have to go with this new techweb.

19. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Building quest fires randomly so this strat involves luck factor.

20. Blaine0002

Blaine0002 Chieftain

"unlock Servomachinery with Institute building quest."

I never got this quest, am I missing something?