1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Slaying the Dragon: The People’s Republic -- Part II

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by Prof. Garfield, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Part I of The People's Republic is essentially over, so now it is on to Part II.

Part II consists of chosing one of the other powers from the last succession game and playing the latter part of the game again with that civ.

The most important choices for this game are the civ and the starting date. I like 1768, and the more I look it over, the better it seems for a general scenario. All the powers are relatively balanced at that date. The most vulnerable civs, the Aztecs and Babylonians are also the ones with the best wonders (and have easiest access to the wonders of their neighbour). The other powers have less valuable wonders but are more protected from the core of the Chinese nation and have more opportunities for picking up small Chinese cities and techs along with them.

Saving as a scenario gives a couple of issues:

No techs are hidden during research. I don't think it is a huge issue in a game that has progressed this far, and saving as a scenario is the only way to switch our civ without leaving a "cheat mode" mark.

Total war flag. If we activate this, it does a couple of things. It turns the game into a bloodlust game, which might be useful depending on how quickly the Chinese might speed through the tech tree (especially if they change to republic or democracy). It also gives republics and democracies full latitude to conduct war. I'm also pretty sure that it overrides the 1 turn limit on democracy disorder.

Forbid government switching. This would keep the Chinese in a Communist government (no other reason, really, to set this) and keep the flavour of our game. We could change the governments of our civ and the others before starting to keep everyone in a modern government.

Forbid tech from conquest. This would limit the use of picking off small cities just for techs. I would not toggle this, because techs from conquest will be one of our few advantages.

If anyone has suggestions for scenario rules, a particular civ, or a different starting date, (or something else), they would be appreciated.

2. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Deity Civ2 GOTM Staff Retired Moderator

The things you proposed seems fine to me. I think playing as the English or Germans might be the hardest to win.

3. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

I think playing as english could be a good choice: it's far enough away from other civs to avoid the homeland being attacked by more than just the chinese. There's also a workable couple of cities on two other continents. The romans could be a good choice as well, plenty of expansion room to the east to build up cities and forces.

I would go for forbidding government switching to keep china in communism.

4. Prof. Garfield

I suppose the difference between playing the English or Romans as opposed to the other civs, is that their strategy would be far less likely to involve conquering other civs before attacking the Chinese.

It should be noted, however, that a civil war can only occure if there is a free slot for another civ. Personally, if I were to play the Aztecs or Babylonians, I would first eliminate the other, and then strike Beijing.

We may also want keep in mind that without Michelangelo's Chapel or J. S. Bach's Cathedral it will be relatively expensive to establish new cities.

5. Prof. Garfield

Since there don't seem to be any strong preferences, how about we play this scenario:

We will play the English as a Democracy.

No government switching permitted.

Romans are Fundamentalist, and are given Monotheism and Fundamentalism.

Babylonians are Communist.

Germans are Fundamentalist, and are given Fundamentalism.

Aztecs are a Democracy.

Indians are a Democracy.

6. Magic_gorter

7. Bloody Monk

Bloody Monk Chieftain

I just noticed this thread. Must check the boards more often. :)

Will the same Alliances still be in effect??

Monk

8. Prof. Garfield

I don't plan to change anything except governments, the couple of techs mentioned, and forbiding government switching, from the 1768 save.

9. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

sounds good to me as well.

10. Prof. Garfield

Here's the 1768 save as the English. The game processed all our cities when it started, so a number of cities are in disorder.

We can take a look at this save for a couple of days and come up with strategies.

Attached Files:

11. Bloody Monk

Bloody Monk Chieftain

Very ugly. Maybe it will look better in the morning.

Playing as a Democracy?? Do we have to come back from Anarchy/Disorder as a Democracy as well?? Or did you fix it so the Gov't will not fall due to Disorder??

Monk

12. Prof. Garfield

I think our government will fall from disorder if the circumstances arise because I did not toggle the total war flag.

The circumstances are not as bad as they look. Using shipchains can put enough units in cities that only a couple of units will have to be disbanded. The first player will just have to be sure to cancel all "go to" orders at the very start.

We'll have to disband units, but if it is done inside a city we salvage half the shields, which can go to caravans or buildings.

I think the first order of business is to get an explorer on island 27 and nab a couple of the undefended cities there (and get techs like corporation and conscription). To do so, we'll have to stay at war with the Chinese for a few turns.

To do this, you will have to watch the musketeer north of Dublin, because contact will get the senate to conclude peace with the Chinese. Either disband the musketeer from its home city, or attack the Chinese with the frigate nearby first.

We could also subvert DublinBurb after a few turns of collecting taxes.

Cut taxes next turn, because so few cities will collect them anyway.

13. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

I can't see any AI cities on the main map, but their position shows on the small map. Is this normal?

Overall it doesn't look a good position, but I like a challenge. There's definately a lot of work to do in the first round.

14. Prof. Garfield

I did this same sort of thing a few days ago, and the cities appeared the next turn or the turn after. I traded maps in the meantime, so I can't give a definative answer.

15. Bloody Monk

Bloody Monk Chieftain

From here there seems to be two ways to go: either very conservative, use the shipchain to pull the units at sea into Dover, disband some units afield, all to end the red faces...then use Trade to accumulate gold for a push later; or be very naughty and act like terrorists, Revolting to shut up the Senate while we steal techs and take some Chin cities.

I really can't see clearly which would be better.

So, Professor, why don't you decide on a path and lead out??

Monk

16. Prof. Garfield

(1) 1768: Cancel all go-to orders. Move as many units as possible into cities. Senate forces peace with the Chinese. Will attempt to provoke them when in a better position to take a city or two. Cut taxes to 0% because so many cities are in disorder anyway, luxuries to 60%. Disband a Brighton supported frigate to settle disorder.
    (2) 1770: Order restored everywhere. Rush temple in Birmingham, after disbanding musket into already started production. Set taxes to 50%, science at 10%. (science at 30% left discoveries at 18 turns). Unable to provoke Chinese, or trade maps. Reveal city of NingpoIsland. Start disbanding units.
    (3) 1772: Lose musketeers in Oxford. Birmingham temple. York Engineers. Chinese will not be provoked. Aztecs: Make peace, trade Monotheism and Feudalism for Theology and The Corporation. Romans: Peace, trade Mathematics, Theology and Feudalism for Electronics, Conscription and Medicine. Peace with Indians and Germans, but no trades. Babylonians are hostile, but don’t declare war.
    (4) 1774: Lose crusaders in Oxford. Begin Refining (which can be traded for from the Romans). Reading Engineers. Sell Oxford Cathedral. London Colosseum. Shipchain from London to Dover. Rush a cannon in Richmond.
    (5) 1776: Barbs take Oxford. Dover Dye Freight. Disorder in Warwick (planned, for extra production). Chinese will not be provoked.
    (6) 1778: Chinese tell us they have developed the Automobile. Richmond disorder (unplanned). Dover Oil Freight. Coventry Engineers. Nottingham gold. Embassy with the Chinese.
    (7) 1780: Order in Richmond, planned disorder in Warwick. York Gems, London Gold.

I stopped at 1780 because it was convenient; if he can, the next player should play 10 turns.

Notes:
    I’ve been alternating Warwick in and out of disorder, to speed production of a Colosseum in the city.

There are several freight on Dover Island, most of which are demanded by the Chinese (Gems are demanded in an Aztec city).

If the Chinese are provoked, shipchain the 3 crusaders in London to NingpoIsland, which might still be defended only by a dragoon. If war does not come soon, disband them for freight or more modern units.

Dover is building a barracks, from which we can build vet riflemen.

Our maps are only as good as the Aztec maps (ie, the last time the Chinese traded maps with them), so there are cities that do not show up.

We are researching refining, which we should be able to get at any time from the Romans.

Richmond will probably fall soon; consider building a line of fortresses with the engineer if you have enough time, in the hopes that a line of barbs will be fortified and not attack the city you can found with it.

Attached Files:

17. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Who's up next? Perhaps someone can suggest a playing order.

18. Magic_gorter

I have very little time right now to play so I prefer to play next week.....so perhaps somebody else wants to play before me.

19. Bloody Monk

Bloody Monk Chieftain

Either you or Magic should play. I am not feeling well.

Monk

20. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

Ok, I'll play the next round, should be able to do it in next few days.