Sleep

Ohwell

Deity
How much sleep do you get a day?

When do you go to sleep?

Why?

What do you do in your awake time?

Just curious, maybe because it is 2:00 in the AM here and I am not tired :( I can't sleep a wink. Every night.

Read the political threads, works for me. ;)

Actually, Insomnia is usually brought on by concern over something in your life, that you keep thinking of.

They say if you can't sleep, get out of bed and leave the room for 30 minutes or so, go sit somewhere, that sometimes works.

I sleep very irregularly, but I'm a student, so I'm supposed to!

I have to get up at 7am 3 days a week, and 4 days a week I like to sleep in until about noon... it creates a really messed up sleep system. Last night I got 4 hours of sleep, tonight I'll probably get 10.

I'm a chronic insomniac... I don't have a solution, but generally if I'm not tired I'll just get up and do something (Play Civ3) until I am. I figure if I'm going to be awake I might as well enjoy it.

I work graveyard shift so I usually get to bed between 4am and 5am. Monday, Wednesday, Friday I have to get up by 10am to go to class but every other day of the week I sleep as late as I want.

p.s. I've always worked graveyard shifts. My first job was as a baker where I'd get up at 2am to go to work. My second job was also as a baker, then I was a prep cook and had to get up at 3am to make the ****, now I'm a UPS thrower and go to work at 10pm and get home between 2 and 5 (depending on how many packages we have to throw...er...handle).

On weeknights I usually can't get to sleep till about 3-3:30 AM. I get into bed by 2-2:30 but it takes me an hour to fall asleep. Weekdays I wake up at 8:15 for classes.

On weekends I go to sleep anywhere betweeen 2 and 6 AM and wake up around 12 - 1 PM.

I wish I could fall asleep around midnight on weeknights and get a good rest but it just doesn't work that way :eek:

Originally posted by Ohwell
How much sleep do you get a day?

When do you go to sleep?
I sleep regular hours and by midnight every night. But then, I have a regular job. ;)

On my off-days though, I tend to sleep irregularly.....

Why?

What do you do in your awake time?
Sleeping is a natural function I guess.... :crazyeyes

Awake time? Work I guess.

Just curious, maybe because it is 2:00 in the AM here and I am not tired :( I can't sleep a wink. Every night.
Maybe a regular job will cure that, Ohwell. Or maybe a recovered notebook with Civ3. :D Heck, that may make it worse....

Nooo!

I got a couple hours sleep, but just woke up :(

Alright, I'll try some of the suggestions here.

I feel more alert now, more so than ever, but I am really, really tired. Wierd. And I can't sleep. Ah, I wills top thinking about it, maybe that will help.

:sleep: :sleep: Thanks guys...

Try banging your head on the wall. If you try hard enough (or got lucky), maybe you can knock yourself out. :lol:

Alternatively, you can drink yourself into a stupor. Try not to make a mess of it though, if you're going to do it this way. :)

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
Try banging your head on the wall. If you try hard enough (or got lucky), maybe you can knock yourself out. :lol:

Alternatively, you can drink yourself into a stupor. Try not to make a mess of it though, if you're going to do it this way. :)

Scary.

Hmm... one's current situation is quite like the song "Insomnia" from a few years back. I do get some on average every 2 days, and hope to get some tonight/tommorrow morning, after none last night.
When one does kip, it is usually between 0430 and 0630.
Maybe this does go someway towards explaining me:vampire:

The problem is electricity, and aritifical light. I have noticed while I was in the Army and in locations without artifical light that I went to sleep soon after the sun went down. As to how my life is now, I have always hated sleeping, thinking of it as wasting time, even though I know I function better on a full night's sleep. When I am goign to school I need 10 hours to be at my best, when I am working I need 6-8 to function well, 4 to make it thru the day. :D

I currently try to go to bed at 10 pm but most times I am lucky to see the sheets before 12am. My bad days are when I go to bed at 5am and get up at 7am to get myself back into sync (going to bed at 10pm). Something always throws my scheduel off again within a few days so I am screwed. Plsu Saturday Night Live isn't over until 1am Sunday morning so that is a guaranteed scheduel screwer. :)

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
Read the political threads, works for me. ;)
Hmmmm, that sounds kind of familiar to me........and I have found the reason here

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
Read the political posts, it always works for me!:crazyeyes
Be less repetitive AoA!!!!:p
:D :D :D

No
AoA

I am studying at a private school were they give us tons and tons uf homework and other so I have very irregular bedtimes.
This week I am having hollidays! :D That is nice and the last days I have slept from 0:00 to 10:30 approximately :D Haven't felt better since it was Christmas.

Normally I go to sleep at 11:30 am to 6:30

Sorry if something went wrong here but I am not good at the am pm stuff because we do not have a such thing in Denmark.

YEAH!

I got sleep!

And through 2 hours of sheer madness, with the police doing their thing, and other annoiances...

And I did try reading the political threads, including my very own "Should the US back out of ABM Treaty", which really made me bored.

I didn't bang my head, and I didn't drink, that would've made me drunk, and I get very wierd when drunk.... .................

Ah well, damn you non-insomniacs! Getting all the z's :die!:

My thoughts on sleep:

I think that everyone has different circadian rhythms. (In case you didn't know, "circadian" comes from Latin words meaning "about a day" and describes the body's internal mechanisms that regulate your daily functions like sleeping, waking, hunger, etc.) The Earth's natural daily cycle is about 24 hours. However, most people's natural cycles don't correspond exactly to the Earth's rotation. This can lead to problems with sleep.

For example, since about 1995, my body has been on about a 22 hour cycle. If left to follow my body's natural urges, I will sleep for about six hours, wake up, and get tired again 16 hours later. This means that I tend to get sleepy earlier and earlier each night. Much to the annoyance of my wife, whose own daily cycle is about 26 hours long. She prefers 8-9 hours of sleep, and doesn't get tired again for about 18 hours.

This explains a lot about the "morning people" and "night people" differences. If your body's cycle is less than 24 hours, you will be a morning person. If it's more than 24 hours, you'll be a night person.

The length of your circadian cycle can change, too. Before 1995 I was a world-champion night owl, and used to hate to get up without at least eight hours of sleep. I have no idea what made my cycle change. It wasn't a conscious decision, and I can't identify anything that might have triggered it. I just gradually noticed that instead of sleeping late, I was just staying in bed awake for a few hours each morning, so I decided to get up and do stuff instead.

Of course, no one is a slave to their sleep cycle, otherwise I'd wind up falling asleep at noon and waking up at 6PM (which I have done when I worked graveyard shift jobs, but that was before I got onto my current cycle). If I stay up late on weekend nights, that can reset my sleep schedule so that I don't wind up going to bed any earlier than 9PM on the weeknights. A good game of Civ does a great job of making me forget when my body is telling me to sleep. (-:

One other random thought: I've never understood the people who see sleep as a waste of time. I've always considered sleep to be natural and healthy. I understand feeling like there isn't enough time in the day, but to me, the big waste of time is work. It has always annoyed me that I have to spend one-third to one-half my waking hours doing stuff I'd rather not be doing just to assure that my material needs are met.

Top Bottom