Slow Progression Along the Science Tree

Baleog

THE FIERCE
Hi,

Is it just me or is it very hard to progress down the science tree?

I am currently playing my third game and am at the turn of the 20th century and it is taking me 40 turns to research refrigeration. Admittedly my empire is not huge (10 cities) but I have been building the science buildings and I have completed 15+ research agreements.

In my previous games my empire was huge and my research was progressing slightly faster although without entering into much research agreements.

Still in no game have I been any where near the future era.

I am not looking for an explanation of how to speed up research. I just want someone to give me a kind word and some assurance that yes, it is possible to churn out the techs at a better rate.

I've had future tech researched several times in the early 20th century myself, and I've seen other players win a tech victory in the 19th century. So yes, it appears to be you.

What is your beakers per turn? In my last game it was >1800 in the 1930ies, and I think around 1500 or so in 1900. This was a fairly large empire with lots of puppet cities.

What map size?
10 cities should really be no problem on normal maps.
It seems to me, whenever I get to Industrial era, by that point research times are down to a tech per 6 turns or less.

grand, just want to know it was possible.
no doubt after having completed three games the strategy I am currently using will seem completely childish in about 6 months time

In my space race victory game, I had researched the future tech 3 times (8 turns for each research).

I had thought science progress moved quickly enough (although I will admit research agreements will really slingshot your progress).

You need to look at your populations as well since pop = more science. I find that science moves too fast. With RA's it can really get crazy. I would like more options like having RA's being a pre-game option and a pre-game option to slow down science rates world wide that also doesnt hurt production speeds which are slow enough.

You need to look at your populations as well since pop = more science. I find that science moves too fast. With RA's it can really get crazy. I would like more options like having RA's being a pre-game option and a pre-game option to slow down science rates world wide that also doesnt hurt production speeds which are slow enough.

I have been saying this aswell. It makes no sense that we get so few options for advanced games tbh. Let those who wanna feel streamlined pick "play now" and us who care about what settings we play have our options. :confused::confused:

I would love for RAs to be able to be turned off. Right now I don't use them because I don't like them, and that i fine when the combat AI is so poor, but it could be really harmful if the AI gets better :)

I don't generally like tech trading of any sort in my games.

It's not the number of your cities. It's the number of people you have in your empire. I have a game where I have 9 cities right now, and I have Artillery in the 1600s. This is not the fastest I've gone. This is actually fairly sedate.

on balance, I preferred tech trading. TT was 'would you like another tech of equivalent value'? Research agreements are 'would you like to make a bet that I'll randomly get a better tech than you'? They make no sense (seriously, in the world of the game, what exactly are you supposed to be doing when you make a research agreement?) and basically just feel like another money sink to 'balance' the various variables at your disposal.

The more I play CiV, the more obvious it becomes that any idea of realism was the first thing to go out the window in the design process.

It's not the number of your cities. It's the number of people you have in your empire. I have a game where I have 9 cities right now, and I have Artillery in the 1600s. This is not the fastest I've gone. This is actually fairly sedate.

I'm playing a game on King right now where I had artillery in the 1300s without even trying. This is with the Economy mod, which makes techs take twice as long to research. Bottom line, Great Scientists and research agreements break this game.

jahsoldier:

Seriously? In Civ IV it was possible to get Mechanized Infantry at 500 AD. In fact, getting Rifles at the same time period was a fairly simple proposition. Tech pace in Civ V is significantly slower.

Any mod that increases research time does not solve the problem - it only makes Research Agreements and Great Scientists that much more valuable. You still face the problems of actually making Artillery in the 1300s, though.

Top Bottom