SMAC 2, what are the odds?

Elsewhere Adv

Chieftain
It's been over 10 years now and I'm sure most SMAC fans have it in the back of their minds for a sequel. But with EA still holding the rights to the game and Firaxis splintered from them and the fact that Brian Reynolds left Firaxis, what are the actual odds of a SMAC 2?

Is there some equation that we can factor this game into to give a likely hood of percentage of getting a new game? I doubt it.

I want to hear some opinions on the future outlook of a SMAC2 so I can put this old heart that keeps hoping to rest.

As much as I'd like to see an Alpha Centauri 2, I doubt it will ever happen. Although, I used to think the same way about one of my favorite games ever, Starcraft, which came out in 1998 and they are now working on a sequel for it. So, I guess anything is possible.

If you want something akin to SMAC 2, try Planetfall mod if you have Civ4.

The official name of Civ III is Sid Meier's Civilization III.

From the the Wikipedia:

Unlike the original game, Civ III was not designed by Sid Meier, but by Jeff Briggs, a game designer, and Soren Johnson, a game programmer.

Unlike, SMAC, where Sid Meier's is the designer:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (sometimes abbreviated to SMAC or Alpha Centauri) is a 4X turn-based strategic computer game created by Brian Reynolds and Sid Meier under the auspices of Firaxis Games in 1999.

In the 50th Polycast episode, Sid Meier's said:

Well, Alpha Centauri really was a Brian Reynolds design.

The concept was to take a lot of the ideas that worked well in Civilization and place them in a Science Fiction setting.

And I think that allowed Brian to really introduce some new ideas that were a lot of fun.

It was an experiment to see where the basic Civ ideas could go and how it would work in a different setting.

People really enjoyed that game. We still hear about people who would like to see another Alpha Centauri.

So I think in a lot of way it was a success. It kind of allowed us to stretch Civ in some new and interesting ways while keeping, hopefully, the one more turn going.

So that is why I would love to see a Brian Reynold's "Alpha Centauri 2" and I don't care about whether there is a "Sid Meier's" in front of it.

As much as I respect Sid Meier's as a game designer, I think the fact that SMAC still has a following has to be due to Brian Reynolds.

Sorry to break in, but someone should check him email inbox already. :) (PMing does not work here :( )

Well, there are always problems of profit sharing and different cultures when two companies team up. I think Big Huge Games produced Rise of Nations:

Rise of Nations is a real-time strategy computer game, developed by Big Huge Games and published by Microsoft on May 20, 2003. The development of the game was led by veteran Brian Reynolds, of Civilization II and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Concepts taken from turn-based strategy games have been added into the game--including territories and attrition warfare.[3] Rise of Nations features 18 civilizations, playable through 8 ages of world history.
On April 28, 2004, Big Huge Games released Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, an expansion pack. Later that year, a Gold edition of Rise of Nations was released, which included both the original and the expansion.

You don't suppose there'd be any point in trying to start an email campaign? Not that they can't make more money making another Civ or anything, but make it "Sid Meier's Civilization: Alpha Centauri II" and it automatically sells ten times as much.

Is there a reason they couldn't now?

Top Bottom