SMAC in 2019.

Zardnaar

Deity
Here we are 20 years later. I haven't played for 7 or 8 years but found my rerelease disk from 2009. In includes ACF. It the sold out software version.

I'm getting the itch lol. Just played Civ3 and enjoyed it.

Anyway I can't remember the details but enjoyed hippie play one with planet type games.

Any suggestions?

I think that you need to install the official patches for the SOS version of the games. You can check the version number by running each game and pressing Ctrl + F4. Patched SMAC (Alpha Centauri) will show v. 5.0 and patched SMAX (Alien Crossfire) will show v. 2.0. The SMAC patch, which should be installed first, may be found here and the SMAX patch here. Additional, unofficial patches may be found at Alphacentauri2. I suggest that you first play with only the official patches.

For "hippie play one with planet" games, play as the Gaians.

If you run into any problems or have any questions, please post again. Good luck!

Thanks I couldn't get it to run. I suck at patches lol been a long time since I've had to use them.

If you still want to play, my best advice is to uninstall the SOS version and buy the game from GOG. This version is optimized for newer OSs, includes both SMAC and SMAX and includes all official patches. It goes for $5.99 and frequently is on sale for less.

If you still want to play, my best advice is to uninstall the SOS version and buy the game from GOG. This version is optimized for newer OSs, includes both SMAC and SMAX and includes all official patches. It goes for $5.99 and frequently is on sale for less.

I can't install lol. I'll prob buy the GoG version.

From memory I enjoyed the pirates, gaians and Morganites.

Good. I forgot to mention that the SOS version might have installed SecuROM on your PC. If so, you should uninstall it since, as the Wikipedia article mentions, it can cause problems. Instructions for removing may be found here. The removal instructions will let you know if SecuROM isn't on your system, The GOG version is DRM-free.

Does GoG have a launcher like steam? I've gotten very used to steam over the last decade or so.

Ok bought game, installed the GoG launcher.

I hit the play button and nothing happens.

What happens if you double-click on one of the .exe files (either terran.exe for SMAC or terranx.exe for SMAX)? The default location for those files is C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Alpha Centauri.

Top Bottom