1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SMAC/SMAX Census

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Babbler, Apr 4, 2009.

?

What copy of Sid Meier's Alpha Centuari do you own?

1. SMAC only

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. SMAC + SMAX

45 vote(s)
    70.3%
  3. I own neither

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Babbler

Babbler Deity

I just want so see how many people own just the vanilla version or expansion.

I actually own two copies of SMAC; the first I got for ten dollar at blockbuster, and I got another copy for free at an end of a garage sale (it was a collection of various games; they just wanted to get rid of all).

2. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

How about if we do own SMAX but only play SMAC? :)

I play SMAX rarely, only if I want to use one of the new factions for some reason (Pirates.) For me, the aliens just completely break the immersiveness of the speculative future; even if they aren't selected in the game, the techs for progenitors and "resonance" evoke them. And the rest of the new factions are uninspired knockoffs of the originals. And I'm quite happy to do without the grossly overpowered Cloudbase Academy and Planetary Energy Grid.

3. GooglyBoogly

GooglyBoogly Freakamongus

Yeah, but then you also miss out on the greatness of bombardment- and the new native lifeforms, the fungal towers, spore launchers and sealurks. Not to mention those awesome battle ogres.
    It also hurts your ability to run seabases since you cannot get the +1Nut/Min/Energy Facilities without the expansion.

4. Russia4Life

Russia4Life Chieftain

Own both and play both.

5. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I only own SMAC, and haven't played in quite some time. Great game, though.

6. Anon Zytose

Anon Zytose Time Traveler

I'm also one who owns both but just plays SMAC. The Progenitors do kinda screw things up for me, plus the new factions just don't seem to have any kind of balance toward what stats are present or are preferred.

Granted, even normal SMAC isn't perfect, which is why I modified a lot of the rules for my copy.

7. Jack Hawksmoor

Jack Hawksmoor Chieftain

I own and play both.

8. Darsnan

Darsnan King

What have you done in the way of modifications? Just curious because I've done a lot of modifications to my files, especially in the scenarios I generate.

I own both SMAC and SMAX, and play SMAX exclusively. I do a lot of heavy modification to the alphax.txt files to better simulate playing on a variety of planets (such as varying movement rates to simulate playing on heavy grav/ lighter grav worlds). I have also generated a host of scenarios for people to play over the years.

D

9. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

Are these scenarios available?

IMO Honestly if you played a pbem game of either version with just human players(Good players) no week AIs these games are epic, still hard to match

10. vyeh

vyeh Emperor

Go to the Apolyton Alpha Centauri AC General forum and look for threads that have "Darsnan" as the thread starter.

11. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

This is why I was happy to see AC/SmacX here. I used the search function to find Darsnan's post and get the below message. As you can see I have an account.

12. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

There must be some problem with your account, since it doesn't appear on the member's list on Apolyton. Check your email to see if there's something else you need to do, or just wait a day or so. I can search for threads started by Darsnan with no problem.

Petek

13. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

Ahh man I've had the account for quite a while now, I remember activating it via e-mail but that e-mail is long been deleted. I don't have permission to edit my own account. Maybe one of you can speak on my behalf to a moderator? Please

14. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I'll PM one of the mods.

Petek

15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I thought both were fabulous. (and this is a test related to a SF post.)

16. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

That fixed me up thx

17. ninebullets

ninebullets Chieftain

I own SMAC, and have never owned SMAX but used to play it (until I lost it in a computer move).

I agree with everyone else that the alien factions (and IMO opinion, the pirate faction) screwed up my enjoyment of the game, but I enjoyed playing SMAX with the original 7 factions far more than just playing normal SMAC. The extra techs especially made the game more enjoyable for me.

18. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

...I only got to try SMACX after many years of SMAC. It's not a huge expansion, but when I finally got a copy of my own in January, just enough was changed to make AC fresh for me again after ten years.

And thus, now I am here.

19. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

Welcome to CFC, Jack.
    :DYou'll find that we're very cool to dirty little noobs like you here.:D

20. thip

thip Chieftain

I just bought the game. Sold Out label has both, but I'm just starting out on SMAC. Great fun.