SMAC weirdness

headhunter38

Chieftain
Hey guys so this is my first post, i found these forums while looking on how to fix the crashing in SMAC. Anyways, my family has been playing alpha centauri for years probably close to ten. We have it installed across 3 or 4 old pcs that still run on XP. We never really had problems with the game until really late in the game on transcend where we would get the terran.exe has stoppped working. So a couple of days ago i transferred SMAC onto a flashdrive so i could install it on my brothers laptop to play. the laptop runs windows 10 and at first the game worked for little while before it crashed. I started a new game and that one never crashed, but when i got bored of that game i tried to start a new game and it would crash every time i got my first tech breakthrough. from that point i coudlnt even start a game without it crashing. so i tried downloading the patches to fix and then it wouldnt even start. So after all that i decided to just delete everything so i could start fresh, however i found that i could play smac off of my flashdrive since i never deleted it from the flashdrive. do you guys have any idea why i can play off of my flashdrive but not the laptop?

Welcome to CivFanatics and the Alpha Centauri forum!

It's strange that the game runs from your flashdrive, but not your hard drive. What version of SMAC do you have (original release, or something else)? If you have the SOS (Sold-out Software) version, some special configuring might be needed. Did you copy the game from the flashdrive to the hard drive? If so, would you be able to delete it from your hard drive and install it from the installation discs?

I think it is original release, my dad bought it as a bundle with several other games. so it came from the cd, but i copied it from an old computer to the flashdrive. I dont know what version it is as when i press ctrl f4 in game nothing happens. yes i did copy the game from the flashdrive to my hhd, however currently it is deleted from the hhd and only my flashdrive and the old pcs. I cant install it from the discs because it is somewhere in storage and i have no idea where it is, which is why i tried copying it from my old pc because that was easy to find.

Top Bottom