SMAC/X on Sold

bishopDC

Chieftain
Today I bought Civ III Complete via online shop. It's published under the Sold-Out Label. Searching for "Sold-out label" games I found this link:

http://www.mastertronic.com/comingSoon.asp

and guess what: SMAC/X will be re-released on 20/02/2009!! :worship:

Just in case anyone of you guys needs a copy (like me:D).

Cheers!

Are those real copies, not downloadable versions?
I see it includes SMAX. Where do they get those from? Being out of print and rare to find and all that.

Ha! Sold-Out will finally publish SMAC/X! That's great news. Edit: It's magnific!

Note that if you buy three games at GBP 4.88, you get one for free. Any recommendations?
I can recommend Mafia, for sure.

If you go to the link in the first post, then go to the page for SMAC and finally go to the page that shows the box, you can read the following in the lower right:

Sold Out is an authorized Electronics Arts distributor

So Sold Out appears to have an agreement with EA. But what about Firaxis? I thought that they also owned some of the rights to SMAC/X.

Petek

I would assume that Electronic Arts would owe Firaxis royalties under whatever agreement allowed Electronic Arts to manufacture SMAC and SMAX in the first place.

I would imagine that as long as the software has not been modified from the software Firaxis provided Electronic Arts, Firaxis can't stop Electronic Arts from continuing to sell SMAC and SMAX under the terms of the original agreement.

I would assume that Electronic Arts would owe Firaxis royalties under whatever agreement allowed Electronic Arts to manufacture SMAC and SMAX in the first place.

I would imagine that as long as the software has not been modified from the software Firaxis provided Electronic Arts, Firaxis can't stop Electronic Arts from continuing to sell SMAC and SMAX under the terms of the original agreement.

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking about the rights issue regarding the possible making of a sequel.

Petek

Are those real copies, not downloadable versions?
I see it includes SMAX. Where do they get those from? Being out of print and rare to find and all that.

Looks like they made a deal with whoever owns the rights. But in Belgium, we can't complain about SMAX being rare, every year or two there's at least a copy being sold second hand in Belgium for a very, very reasonable price, say €10 or 15 at the most :)

Great news though that they're going to re-distribute it!

I'd better sell the copies I've been hoarding before this happens, then.
I was going to make a post saying that people, instead of being greedy, could make those few copies available for reasonable prices so that the game would become more known and played, but I guess such behaviour can not be expected in our system of capitalism and I also reckon that the amazon/ebay/... sellers I'm talking about do not read forums.

Besides, the game will be available from Sold-Out :goodjob:

Thanks to bishopDC for the heads up. I'm trying to find out if any of our distributors in Australasia will be carrying this. Wow, it's been a long time ...

I tried to purchase using an Australian VISA card and they rejected my transaction. When I asked our local supplier (Games Warehouse Australia) if they would have it, they said no and that the distribution rights may only be for Europe.

Anyone else pre-ordered it?

Weird, but possibly terrific.

They have now charged my credit card and emailed to say it's been dispatched. After all these years, I may get to play SMAX on a PC!

I really need to go over to my local Fry's Electronics, because I am POSITIVE I have seen multiple titles under this label at that store.

I bought it from Amazon UK and afaik they will deliver the game to almost anywhere in the world. So if anyone is having trouble finding the game thats one place you try ordering it from :)

Ordered from Game on 3 for £10 (Came up as £9.79 actually).

I got:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Complete

Sid Meier's Pirates

Sonic Mega Collection

I didnt know what to get for the third game, it came down to a Sonic game or the expansion pack for The Movies, but I dont play that game anymore so went with Sonic :).

Theyu also have Civ 3 complete on the 3 for £10 offer, so if your missing out on a lot os Sid's games, you can get SMAC/X, Pirates and Civ 3 complete for just £10 o.O. But I already have Civ 3 and Sonic and Knuckles collection, the Mega Collection just had a couple of extra sonic games that I dont have so I went with that.

Update for anyone in the Antipodes who is craving this: received mine from Mastertronics yesterday. Installed the lot, all OK except for the minor tweak to the Algorithm thingy. All the patches and the Compatibility update are there. It goes well on my XP Desktop and even has a Faction Editor which was something new for me to play with.

They charged me 7.88 pounds sterling which was AUD$18.21 on my credit card (with the transaction fee). Beats $120.00US on eBay!

Does the Sold out Software version work on American computers?

Thanks for the info. It's been a long time since I've seen SMAC offered for a reasonable
price.

Top Bottom