1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Balance & Bugfixes List

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Gidoza, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

So I'm thinking why not have a thread that looks at other threads' suggestions or notes that have been made and just compile them together for quick reference. It doesn't mean that more discussion can't be had - some are concluded discussions, some aren't, but yeah - it's just easier to have a reference point.

1. Abode of Peace (Noted by JamesNineLives) - Concerning Abode of Peace. The primary effect seems a bit weak? +1:c5gold: +1:c5faith: per 10 followers in foreign cities isn't much IMO. The secondary effect (related to city-states) is great but I feel the primary benefit should scale a bit better.

-I'd like to suggest per 8 followers as a starter

2. Great Diplomats (when creating an Embassy) - No Paper created. Emphasizes the distinction between creating an Embassy - which is a permanent bonus for votes - and actually getting Paper & influence - where Paper allows for more influence. The two choices would be more interesting & even.

3. Baths - Always available in Capital and in Holy Cities. Especially for Tradition, it's a pretty substantial bonus to lose just because you happen to have spawned in a location without fresh water.

4. City Yields - Hills always give 2F/2P/1G and non-Hills always give 3F/1P/1G; fresh water does not influence these values. This simply makes city positioning less awkward, but more importantly makes city start locations more balanced in the way that is the most substantial.

5. Resources on a City tile - Always adds its own bonus precisely on top of the bonus in #4. No weird variations based on tile type, so the bonus is actually predictable; having an improvement tends to be better anyways, so this doesn't strike one as being overpowered in any way.

6. Goddess of Wisdom (Noted by CrazyG) - That it's giving 2F/2S per city instead of the tooltip's 1.

And continue.

2. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

I recently started removing the fresh water requirement on baths altogether. I can't think of a single balance reason why freshwater starts deserve more culture.

3. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Fair point and I don't have a good argument to counter you, either.

4. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I'm not very fond of the Iconography/Universalism changeup. I don't think either of the new beliefs that were put together to replace them offer a coherent set of bonuses. Abode takes forever to come online because the influence creeps up slowly over 18 turns.

What about this for Abode of Peace (all of this is existing code):
    Council of the Faithful - 20:c5influence: Influence when Missionaries spread to City-States. 40 resting :c5influence:Influence and +20% Quest rewards with City-States following your religion.

Then do away with Iconography and restore Universalism ( :c5gold:/:c5faith: for followers & missionaries erode pressure)

So now you are immediately at the resting benchmark if you converted a city-state. Much cleaner than having to wait for the thing to creep up on its own, but you have no tools or rewards for spreading beyond city-states.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

There used to be a belief that would give influence on spread, wasn't it removed for being too strong?

Or do you mean that it only gives influence on the first successful conversion?

6. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

before my time. I can see that being a problem though, now that I think about it. You can't put a purchase cooldown on missionaries like you can on emissaries/etc, so you could really bomb a city-state with a ton of conversions

Maybe it would be manageable at 10:c5influence: per spread though?

7. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

What about just a one time influence bonus for the first time that CS adopts your religion? I know that Council of Elders can keep track of what city had been already converted so you can't repeatedly trigger the bonus.

8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

New code, even if it is similar to existing code. I'm just trying to restructure the enhancers in a way that doesn't make an undue amount of work for G

9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Yeah something like that would be the best way to manage this I think.