Small civ loyalty

ezzlar

Emperor
I´ve seen several times that cities in a 3 city civ has problems with revolts with one of their cities. If a civ is small and the cities are all connected like a "core" area the base loyalty should be higher to withstand foreign pressure.

the base loyalty should be higher to withstand foreign pressure
Normally a smaller 3 city civ is so because of food or production issues. As Loyalty is based primarily on population and the ratio between competing civs having a low pop city with a few high pop enemy cities nearby will often cause revolt. Loyalty is really how fat you are as opposed to anything else, probably designed this way to counter ghost/satellite cities.

Loyalty is base on population size, the age your in and the amount of cities near a city. If the AI has 3 or more cities near your one city that is enough pressure for your cities loyalty to start decreasing. Its easy to hit the population cap during early-mid game so increasing your population size and having more cities helps with loyalty issues.

Still, nationalism doesnt work so that a smaller nation will revolt to a larger one nearby. A civ might overextend making revolt reasonable but having your own few "starting" cities revolt seems weird. Not that I am having a problem with this but the AI.

The capital exerts extra loyalty pressure, also if a player have just a few cities they should be large and populous, which also strengthen loyalty. If the player still has loyalty issues he gotta be playing terribly bad.

Moreover, getting a governor in three cities is quite trivial.

When a CS is near and other civs place their Amanis there, the -2 effect of Amani can sum up to -4, -6, -8, ... depending on number of Amanis with promotion. This can destabilize a small nation near the CS very quickly. I just see small Poland (world map) loosing its cities to Russia one by one due to this effect. (In a game with 30 civs it is more likely than in a small game.)

Governors do not help remote pressure, only the local city with the exception or amani's promotion (which does not show as pressure but instead as a +/- on the governor column)
What if you use the policy card (Praetorium)? It says that Governor's provide +2 Loyalty per turn to their city. Bread and Circuses can also be devastating.

I also think that a small nation might have difficulty avoiding Dark Ages, which will make the matter even worse!

Top Bottom