Small Pet Peeves

As a minor complaint from the new videos, it bothers me to see dinosaur fossils as the icon for archaeological museum slots. Archaeology is, as the actual artifacts seem to reflect, focused on evidence of human cultures, while evidence of extinct organisms falls squarely into the realm of paleontology. Granted, there are certainly museums that deal with both, but to use one term specifically and then have icons that reflect the other deeply offends my (perhaps overactive) sense of precision.

I have two main pet peeves so far....

The first is everything about the game screams made for games to be started and finished quickly. The games seem more like "quick" speed games, rather than "standard" speed games.

The second is the visual look of the city districts. I hoped they would go an Endless Legend route so the districts actually look like an expansion of the city. Currently, the districts are basically the same as settler improvements, but just not built by settlers.

Pet peeves:
  • Leaders have no trade request, denunciation, or yes/no lines (when discussing trade/asked if they want to declare friendship, etc).
  • Leaders have no transition animations between statements, and instead snap into their resting neutral/happy/angry state right after saying something. This is unnatural in cases where for instance, Hojo declares war, unsheathing his sword, and then he snaps into his "angry" state wherein his sword is sheathed again. Not threatening at all.
  • Many leaders (Pericles, Trajan, Phillip II, Pedro) don't look like their real life counterparts at all.
  • No war music. :(
  • The icons for units look like plastic. They lack the iconic shiny halos of Civ V, or the close-up faces of Civ IV's units, and as such, Civ VI's unit icons look very simplistic and primitive.
  • Everything about the UI screams toy plastic (and a lot of it is blue toy plastic).
  • Prince AI doesn't make nearly enough units.
  • AI is inconsistent with application of its leader agenda approval/disapproval lines. There's a video by FilthyRobot showing Pericles both stating agenda approval and agenda disapproval within a few minutes of each message, making it unclear what exactly he is talking about (i.e. which city-state did he not appreciate having influenced, and which city-state was he glad FilthyRobot hadn't touched?)

Pet peeves:
  • Leaders have no transition animations between statements, and instead snap into their resting neutral/happy/angry state right after saying something. This is unnatural in cases where for instance, Hojo declares war, unsheathing his sword, and then he snaps into his "angry" state wherein his sword is sheathed again. Not threatening at all.

I found this really weird too.

The strangest is when you defeat an empire. They do this "oh cry for me!" animation, then do a quick snap back to their standard one so you can say "good bye".

Pet peeves:
  • Leaders have no trade request, denunciation, or yes/no lines (when discussing trade/asked if they want to declare friendship, etc).
  • Many leaders (Pericles, Trajan, Phillip II, Pedro) don't look like their real life counterparts at all.
  • No war music. :(
  • The icons for units look like plastic. They lack the iconic shiny halos of Civ V, or the close-up faces of Civ IV's units, and as such, Civ VI's unit icons look very simplistic and primitive.
  • Everything about the UI screams toy plastic (and a lot of it is blue toy plastic).
  • Prince AI doesn't make nearly enough units.
  • AI is inconsistent with application of its leader agenda approval/disapproval lines. There's a video by FilthyRobot showing Pericles both stating agenda approval and agenda disapproval within a few minutes of each message, making it unclear what exactly he is talking about (i.e. which city-state did he not appreciate having influenced, and which city-state was he glad FilthyRobot hadn't touched?)

Agree on all of your points plus the fact that leaders do not change outfits for 4000 years seems to me a really an own goal for Firaxians

Another pet peeve! Yay!

• When you are asked to select a new civic, a MUSICAL NOTE symbol appears.

I understand this is traditionally the symbol of culture in Civ, but "new civic" should not be labelled with a music note. That's more fitting for a rock and roll wonder. :p

Back to the units for a moment:
1. The continuous Civ inability to get early gunpowder units right.
...The Musketman is, graphically, the matchlock musket of the late 16th, 17th centuries. These poor blokes had No Melee Factor: they were carrying a 20-lb clumsy club with no bayonet, little body armor and no training in how to use their mediocre little short swords that some of them carried. That's why they were Always in units that included Pikemen for a melee factor. Should have made them 1-tile ranged Support Units to stack with Pikemen.
... The Bombard had one function: it made ALL previous ancient and medieval walls Obsolete, which is what it should do in the game. It also had Zero factor against any military unit: it took 30 to 300 minutes to reload one of these monsters, and they could only hit a unit if it was cooperative enough to sit down in front of the Bombard and have lunch.
...the Fusilier is the term for the flintlock musket-carrying infantry with the socket bayonet - and, for the first time, colorful army-wide uniforms. We've never had 'em in Civ, and it's way, way past time: a basic melee unit (wth a Civ V Impi-like 'fire before melee' function representing the close range fire before you charge that was the favorite tactic of Swedish Ga-Pa infantry, Redcoats, French Revolutionary infantry, etc) that can defend against cavalry almost as well as pikes and has a decent melee factor against everything else, too. What's not to like?
... Civ V went overboard: the black powder rifle lasted all of 50 years, historically, even if you include the 'rifled musket' nuzzle-loader. The 'Great War Infantry' (a term I LOATH) with the magazine-fed smokeless powder bolt-action rifle, lasted from about 1885 to 1030, or just under 50 years. The 'modern infantry - WWII style' lasted from about 1930 to 1965, or 35 years. In other words, 3 types of infantry in the same time that either the Musketman of the Fusilier were dominant. Should have probably chopped either the rifleman or Magazine Rifleman.
Instead they chopped both of them and misrepresented the Musketman, giving us an inaccurate, graphically inappropriate, and frankly, compared to the historical units, drab melee unit for two entire Eras.

I smell a Mod coming on...

Another pet peeve: notification spam!!

This doesn't really make sense to me. I get it though, in civ5, the temporary notifications showing up in the top-middle of the screen were small, easy to miss, and disappeared too quickly sometimes to read all the notifications of what happened in-between turns.

So the developpers chose to fix that by making notifications stick around a bit longer, with a nice "hand-drawn parchment like" or however they would like to desribe it, border, and no transparency or anything, hiding the map.

This is good because we can't miss them.

This is bad for 2 reasons:

1- Most importantly, most of those notifications are useless! "Our envoy has learned that Japan has cleared a barbarian outpost with a warrior" in 1800 AD. Yawn.

This is a problem because the notifications that are actually useful for the player are now relegated to smaller icons on the lower right corner and are easy to miss.

Even more so, those notifications "stack", so let's say there have been 4 times an event about a city-state being conquered or liberated, they will show up with 1 icon only with an even smaller "4" badge on the icon. If you don't read it the first time (ie "Toronto has been capture by Scythia", in Marb's Greece LP), later on this notification will still show after say Geneva gets capture. So 40 turns after Toronto was capture, when Geneva gets capture, the text still reads "Toronto has been captured", because you didn't bother clicking the initial one. Which leads to more lack of clicking and assuming that there's a bug in the code, where the bug really is in the UX.

2- Secondly, the large notifications in the top/middle of the screen do obscure what is happening on the map in-between turns. So let's say there's a battle you want to watch happening at the center of the screen, but then 4 AI civilizations build banks and clear encampments and declare friendship, you miss the results of the battle.

Those 2 things make it, in my opinion, poor UI design. The envoy notifications should be on the lower right corner. The important stuff should be front and center, or at least make it consistent and put ALL notifications on the lower right, maybe for those stacked notifications add the date or turn # in front of each message so we're not confused about when it happened. I like the stacking in a way, it reduces the CiV notification spam where near the end game we'd need to scroll endlessly through all the notifications on the right while still missing important combat and build-completed notifications.

I find it somewhat annoying that the colors for the civs on the minimap do not match the real map colors. For example, America has a dark blue color on the main map. On the minimap, their land area is a light blue (which reminds me of France in Civ5). Also, several of the brighter colors are very difficult to distinguish on the minimap.

Agree on all of your points plus the fact that leaders do not change outfits for 4000 years seems to me a really an own goal for Firaxians

I'm sure Firaxis will be happy to do that if you agree to pay the salaries for their graphics team for a month. Doing that stuff is expensive.

I'm sure Firaxis will be happy to do that if you agree to pay the salaries for their graphics team for a month. Doing that stuff is expensive.

They stopped changing the leaders' appearances after CivIII.. Shame, but probably for the best since they then introduced animated leaders and having to multiply the amount of work for animations because of different eras probably proved too much (and might still be?) VS how much it adds to the gameplay.

I think CivI or CivII was the best in a way though, leaders changed appearance through eras and depending on which government they were using, it was a nice visual indicator and artistic touch.

Within a game like Civ VI the outfit of a leader takes 0.00000001% of the total game developing time and budget.

If it occupied more than that, it would mean that something is really wrong in the Firaxis budget/time resources allocation plan.

They stopped changing the leaders' appearances after CivIII.. Shame, but probably for the best since they then introduced animated leaders and having to multiply the amount of work for animations because of different eras probably proved too much (and might still be?) VS how much it adds to the gameplay.

I think CivI or CivII was the best in a way though, leaders changed appearance through eras and depending on which government they were using, it was a nice visual indicator and artistic touch.

Exactly, I agree 100%.

Earlier Civs had Sid much more involved than now, results speak by themselves.

Within a game like Civ VI the outfit of a leader takes 0.00000001% of the total game developing time and budget.
The most expensive game made so far (for which we know the budget) is Destiny with a budget of 500 million $.

0.00000001% of that is 5 cents.

You're just saying random numbers that aren't remotely realistic and stating them as fact.

My biggest pet peeve (so far) is automatic cycling which you can't turn off.

I could never understand why it worked like that in ciV and sadly it seems the same (or worse?) in cVI - Marbozir complained about it a couple of times during his Greek LP.

The most expensive game made so far (for which we know the budget) is Destiny with a budget of 500 million $.

0.00000001% of that is 5 cents.

You're just saying random numbers that aren't remotely realistic and stating them as fact.

Changing the leaders outfit is a few days dev job, 2-3 devs.

If you take few weeks to change the leader templates clothes you are far from knowing how to develop such a cosmetic feature and the lack of it is a shame, above all considering that Civ III had it.

If you like to see in modern eras leaders dressed like when they built the Pyramids that's a personal taste ok, but pls don't tell that is budget changer.....there is probebly only a marketing reason behind that, called DLC.

Pet peeve: why is Buenos Aires an INDUSTRIAL city? I would understand if it was cultural or commercial, but industrial... By the 1920s this city had few factories, and the rest was workshops. Even today it isn't famous for its manufactures.

Changing the leaders outfit is a few days dev job, 2-3 devs.

If you take few weeks to change the leader templates clothes you are far from knowing how to develop such a cosmetic feature and the lack of it is a shame, above all considering that Civ III had it.

If you like to see in modern eras leaders dressed like when they built the Pyramids that's a personal taste ok, but pls don't tell that is budget changer.....there is probebly only a marketing reason behind that, called DLC.

Wow, that's a pretty ignorant statement there.

Sure the development job on the software side to BE ABLE to change a leaders outfit per era might be 2-3 days. And once done it works for the whole game. I will go with that.

But actually researching how a fitting outfit could look, designing it in CivVIs style and then modelling, texturing and skinning it... that is something the artist does FOR EACH leader. There is little automatism or scaling effects here. And with 20 leaders and lets say 5 outfits for each thats 100 different outfits. Even with veeery optimistic 1 day per outfit thats over 3 months worth of work (for one artist).

And that will be noticable in the budget. Even artists like to recieve money for their work.

Top Bottom