1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Projects Bulletin

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth That's rough buddy Moderator

A while ago some people expressed interest in taking up small things that need work with the mod. From my perspective, these are probably bug fixes or small quality of life changes that I would eventually get around to doing, but usually can also be completed by someone else while I work on a larger feature that gets the mod forward.

I have created this thread to post about things like this that are to do so you can pick them up and submit a pull request. Please announce that you start working on it so we don't have two people working on the same thing.

(Please do not use this thread to report issues, I will update it from the bug report thread as I find necessary.)

Your support is appreciated!

Current to do list:
    • Turkic leaders lack intro texts: Bumin, Alp Arslan and Tamerlane have an empty greeting texts. They should at least use the default greeting text
    • Issue with Bumin LH: part of the fur on Bumin's hat is incorrectly rendered and flickering in and out
    • Wrong modifiers due to Khmer reordering: when the position of the Khmer in the spawn order was changed, the comments in Modifiers.py were not updated accordingly. This means that subsequent changes for civs between the old and current position of the Khmer may be wrong. So all changes to the file since the reordering need to be reviewed if that is the case.
    • Ottoman dawn of man text: at least in the 1700 AD scenario, the Ottoman dawn of man text incorrectly shows TXT_KEY_DOM_TURKEY instead of using the correct TXT_KEY_DOM_OTTOMANS_1700AD text key.
    • It should be possible to build Quarries on Rainforest with the right technology.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Publicola, merijn_v1 and 1SDAN like this.
  2. Sataa3a

Sataa3a Chieftain

I can take a stab at the dawn of man text. I can see how to easily fix it for the case of Ottomans, but the way currently dawn of man text is pulled is hacky and will cause problems with the non-English versions (launch the mod in French, China's text is just TXT_KEY_DOM_CHINE), so I'd like to fix it overall and not just for English-speaking Ottoman players.

3. Leoreth

If you can, that's fine. It's probably easiest to force using the English text when sythesising the text keys.

4. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Wouldn't it be easier if the gc.getCivilizationInfo(iCiv).getIdentifier() function is used?

EDIT:
    I think this could also be used to fix the translation key problems with the DCN.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  5. Leoreth

Easier? Tons of text keys would need to be changed. It's possible to control the returned language so that's the best way to go imo.

6. Sataa3a

Sataa3a Chieftain

That requires changing many of the text keys, correct? The identifier is three characters, but keys seem to use the short description. It is the cause of that problem too, yes.

Is the identifier currently only used for the UHV and UP text keys? I'm curious why some keys are using it and some the full name.

7. Leoreth

I was asking myself the same thing, honestly I think it's for historical reasons. The identifier existed long before it was possible to retrieve it using the CvCivilizationInfo API.

8. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I am aware that it requires changing a lot of text keys. But once it is done, all problems regarding languagues creating wrong text keys are gone.

I was never able to control the returned language. How do you do that?

9. Leoreth

You're right, apparently you can only temporarily change the language which isn't very elegant either. I guess then the best solution is to change the identifier to match the short description.

10. Sataa3a

Sataa3a Chieftain

Sounds good.

11. freethink

freethink Chieftain

TAMERLANE INTRO TEXT SUGGESTIONS
    By the blows of my well tempered sword I have conquered the greater part of the world to enlarge Samarkand and Bukhara, my capitals and residences; and you, pitiful creature, would exchange these two cities for a mole. Indeed, truth is safety.

BUMIN INTRO
    I Qaghan Budin was called slave,but I am free, and by rights of sharp swords the son of free men, forging the strength of my people to ride under the sky of Tour Tengri.

ALP ARSLAN INTRO
    I would like to know as to what you do with your prisoners. My punishment is the heaviest, for I would forgive you and set you to ride free between the west and the east.

Leoreth and ozqar like this.
  12. Leoreth

Sounds good.

freethink likes this.