1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Small Roman Fort/Legion Buff Idea

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Jkchart, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

So, it occurred to me that there is a small way to encourage use of the Roman Fort by the Legions. Currently, it is almost only worth using their build charges for a single harvest.

What if whenever a Legion built a Roman Fort it could trigger a culture bomb and claim surrounding tiles? This makes sense from a historical point of view since the Romans used many forts to claim/control borders. It would be a nice little flavorful thing to have, in my opinion. It also encourages the player to make a bit more of a choice if they would rather get walls in that conquered city up fast with that build charge, or break off some nearby enemy territory with a Fort, for instance.

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

I like this idea but in game a Roman Fort built by a legion is the same as a regular fort any other Civ can build, they just build them earlier. My point is Poland already gets a culture bomb from building forts so it would be shared with them.
    Then again it would differentiate them from the Toa and both Maori and Norway have early ocean crossing so similar bonuses I guess can be shared.

acluewithout likes this.
  3. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Why not simply make legions get a better fortification bonus to represent their fort building?

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  4. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Chieftain

I'd like Roman Fort (Castrum) to look different to default ones. It is said that each one was built with prefab basic pieces.

5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Poland already has the culture bomb, i'd like the roman forts to provide extra movement and extra healing to units. to make getting legions to frontiers even faster.

6. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Poland already has the culture bomb, i'd like the roman forts to provide extra movement and extra healing to units. to make getting legions to frontiers even faster.

7. AntSou

AntSou Chieftain

Or just give it extra culture and tourism bonus first with Humanism then with Natural History?

Given it's an Roman improvement, it would open the field for a more culture focused leader.