[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

With my first playthrough (did it raw without reading much about the new systems) on prince, the biggest take home lesson: its good to be a warmonger again!

I had just denounced Alex as was going to wait the x turns before doing some sort of causus, but the Era switched so I was able to take the new golden 'go to war' perk ( = light WM penalty)
In defeating him, I liberated a city state that was next to Persia.
Persia decides to conquer the newly liberated city state, thus triggering an emergency that I get invited to. As it happens, my troops are still sitting inside the borders, so it takes a single turn to 'win' the Emergency.
Here's where it gets wonky...after re-liberating the city state, I tried taking a Persian city as well to see what would happen as far as WM penalty. Penalty = 0. So I keep taking taking Persian cities and then the capital and then wipe him out completely. Zero WM penalties. Everyone (that I wasn't at war with) still loved me!
Then Tomryis caused an Emergency by conquering another CS that I had envoys in so I get invited to that one too. And so I wipe her out as well, again with zero penalties.

3 Empires wiped out in less than 50 turns, zero WM penalties. Not sure if this is what they intended, but I do know I'll be spreading envoys to CS near aggressive civs to get invited to Emergencies more often.

I believe this is a bug. It happened to me as well. Chandragupta captured the peace-loving Geneva and I was invited in an emergency to liberate them. It so happens that I was pissed by Chandragupta that after liberating Geneva, I proceeded to capture 4 more cities from Chandragupta with 0 warmonger penalty. This happened during my Heroic Age but I did not select To Arms dedication. It's crazy and unbelievable.

The Amundsen-Scott Research Station with 5 Snow tiles gives +20% Science, +10% Production to all your cities -- the double yields (+40% Science, +20% Production) ONLY apply to the Amundsen-Scott city itself (the full-on Tundra/Snow one yeah)
The actual effect of the South Pole station is to add +20% Science, +10% Production to all your cities, and +20% Science, +10% Production to your cities which have 5+ snow tiles, in additional. (yes, it applies to all your 5+ snow cities, and the city you built this station does not really need 5+ snow tiles) :(
The Ancestral Hall's +50% production towards settler only applied to the city where Ancestral Hall is in. :( :(
The Kilwa can +15% certain type of yield with one suzerain for that single city, and addition +15% that type of yield to all your cities with 2 same type of suzerain, but really hard to prevent CS from being occupied by AI in peaceful play. :( :( :(

For Reyna, now we call her "the Corrupter" because she occasionally embezzled money from contract. (joking):p

Last edited:
Not sure if these have been reported, but a few observations:

• St. Basils Cathedral does not require to be build on a Tundra tile. So basically this will be like Petra or Chichen Itza where AI will build it on the only desert/jungle tile in the city, except now it doesn't even need to have one of those tiles. That's going to be a lot of fun! :wallbash:
  • If you enter an emergency because another player conquers a city state, you don't need to actually liberate the city state to win the emergency (even though the description says it). If the city state flips to a free state because of loss of loyalty, you win the emergency. This can lead to bizarre situations where you win the emergency but the city state is subsequently conquered by another civ (or even by you!).
  • Production from great people to space rate projects no longer carries over! This is a major change with big impact. For instance, if you activate Carl Sagan (grants 3000 production), he will finish your current project but grant zero production to the subsequent projects. I reckon this is intentional, but does make the fact that he provides 3000 production a bit ridiculous because the maximum yield you can effectively get from him is now 1800 cogs.

One thing I noticed, which is great, is that I was almost last place in nearly every victory type back in the Classical Era. Yet in the Industrial Era I have managed to surge into 1st & 2nd place for Science & Culture victory respectively......even though every other civilization has nearly double the number of cities I have!

I feel OK about that
upload_2018-2-11_13-43-32.png

Im running into bugs galore, especially with religion, emergencys, and ghenghis khan's unique stable.

I had a horseman with bonus movement "attack" an enemy city and just move onto the tile. Next turn i had to move him back in and out to attack the city.

Speak for yourself! :eek: I decided to play my first game on king just to get a good feel of things and it has been quite the challenge all around. I usually play on emperor or immortal. Can’t wait to try those!

The difficulty seems easier for me so far. But it's hard to judge because I went on a massive steamroll with keshig's, horseman, and knights. If I had stuck to my usual 12 to 18 cities I usually aim for on standard maps, it may have been more challenging. Prince level felt like settler. My next game will be a truer test since I aim to be peaceful with the Cree.

Haven't had any Horseman bugs mentioned above, but I may move my units in a different way.

The difficulty seems easier for me so far. But it's hard to judge because I went on a massive steamroll with keshig's, horseman, and knights. If I had stuck to my usual 12 to 18 cities I usually aim for on standard maps, it may have been more challenging. Prince level felt like settler. My next game will be a truer test since I aim to be peaceful with the Cree.

Haven't had any Horseman bugs mentioned above, but I may move my units in a different way.

I agree. I did my "warm up" on Immortal, and did three more games after that on Deity and it feels much easier. The A.I was never nearly as far ahead in tech in the early game for some reason.

Speak for yourself! :eek: I decided to play my first game on king just to get a good feel of things and it has been quite the challenge all around. I usually play on emperor or immortal. Can’t wait to try those!

Me too. I lost on King just now because I decided to max out my alliance with Kongo. Kongo run away with Science Victory. =(

I played an interesting love triangle. Qin, Cathy and me.
Cathy took out Hong Kong and was on 4 cities, Qin had spread nicely to 5 but was hemmed in by us both.
I had 2 cities and a mauled army due to barbs but had iron and little money.
I asked Qin how much GPT he would pay me for a joint war against Cathy and he came back with 27 GPT and 150 gold so I happily took that and ploughed in with swords.
It became clear that after 2 cities Cathy was damaged badly but walls had just gone up and my new cities were going to just rebel.Qin had walls too and I was broke again... sort of.
So I peaced out Cathy for 26GPT which got rid of my rebel cities and went for Qin with a shiny new ram taking 2 cities and peaking out as I am happy the other 2 will eventually rebel, sued for peace for all his gold and am about to take the rest of Cathy... or at least one to make the other rebel.

The way the game played was much more fun that straight out slaughter to the end and if you cannot stop that city rebelling by taking more cities fast peace is a nice double edged sword.

I agree. I did my "warm up" on Immortal, and did three more games after that on Deity and it feels much easier.

Also agree. While some aspects of the AI are better, deity AI tech pace is noticeably slower (or mine is quicker?). In vanilla I would need to use spies to disrupt AI spaceports, in R&F I have won space before any AI has built a spaceport.

Expansion is good in general but needs some balancing.

• The AI now seems a lot more proactive about building Commercial Hubs and Industrial Zones in the mid game, meaning competition for early Great Merchants and Great Engineers is upped and leveling spies on the Siphon Funds mission is easier. It also makes it viable to pass on GMs and GEs you don't want.
  • It seems the AI is also a bit quicker to early and mid game wonders than what I remember.
  • As a peaceful, tall player I'm actually finding it hard to hit Golden Ages. It's not easy to make up the Era Score points lost from conquering cities/Civs.
  • The reduction of Culture from Monuments paired with the elimination of the Meritocracy policy card makes Theater Squares more important to non-Culture Victories.

Last edited:
Did archaeologists get cheaper? normally on Epic speed it costs me 2400 to rush buy them, but my current game I rushed by one for 1600. I don't think I have any golden age bonuses for this, though I'll double check.

Did archaeologists get cheaper? normally on Epic speed it costs me 2400 to rush buy them, but my current game I rushed by one for 1600. I don't think I have any golden age bonuses for this, though I'll double check.
Monumentality gives a 30% discount and you can also buy them with faith.

I'm running Heartbeat of Steam right now, so I'm not sure why they are so cheap.

After finishing my first game - I think the golden ages and emergencies are giving the human player additional advantages and essentially making the game easier. I just can't see the AI ever being able to successfully pull off an emergency so it's just easy extra cash every time they come up. I had one come up early after taking an enemy capital and all I had to do was defend that city which is pretty dang easy. I wiped them out 5 turns later ending the emergency and grabbing 800 gold. These seem kind of pointless and I'm not a fan of the game mechanic so far. I also found it pretty easy to stay in a golden age for the entire game.

I do like the Mapuche - they are probably B tier. Their UU comes a little late but is pretty powerful. The Chemamull is great too for CV - just beeline for Eiffel and you can spam them everywhere for easy tourism. Did they change the artifact frequency? I noticed I was getting a lot more classical and medieval artifacts than usual and it was tougher to theme my museums.

Top Bottom