Small Wonders are Wonder too

Ashburnham

King
We're coming to a point where several small Wonders are becoming a possibility. This thread is to nail not where and when (and if) we should build them. The three I'm most interested in right now are the Military Academy, the Heroic Epic, and Wall Street.

Military Academy: With Military Tradition coming in 5 turns, it's time we start thinking about whether or not we want this Wonder. True, we don't have a leader yet. But I believe we're still decided that our first leader should make an army (if that's not the case, please let me know). Benefits: We'd be able to build armies without leaders, which is always nice if we decide to get hawkish some time in the future. Possible City Sites: Fanatikku seems like the best choice. It is currently our main military producing city, so giving it the ability to build armies seems natural.

Heroic Epic: This Wonder hinges on the same set of conditions as the Academy, so it's still hyopthetical as to when we would get it. Benefits: More chance of getting leaders means more armies/ more free rushes in our cities. Possible City Sites: Since it doesn't matter where this Wonder is built, any high producing city could build it (Shorin-Ryu, Zojoji, Odawara, Fanatikku, and Immo are our top 5)

Wall Street: With Shorin-Ryu set to complete its bank in 8 turns (thereby bringing the total in our country up to 5) this Wonder is something we should start planning right away. Hopefully, we can get a pre-build of this up by the next Turnchat. Benefits: Earning interest on our treasury means more money for us. Possible City Sites: Same as the Epic, it doesn't really matter where, so it's a choice between our top 5 (unless someone has another suggestion).

Obviously, the first two Small Wonders are more hypothetical, but Wall Street is something we should start thinking about right away. Anyway... discuss!!

Um, are you sure, Civanator? I'm looking at the save right now, and the Civilopedia clearly has Wall Street under Small Wonders.

Don't forget the Forbidden Palace....

I've alrerady covered the FP perosnally.

And yes, we DO get Wall Street in vanilla. Much earlier than in Conquests.

Well, whichever city gets it gets a small culture boost. So perhaps a stable border city with a Civ we are putting Cultural pressure on.

I agree, Civman. The question is, where. There are, of course, the usual cities (our 5 best producers: Shorin-Ryu, Zojoji, Immo, Fanatikku, and Odawara). However, there is another choice, one that I happen to like. En'Gha is building a colosseum that it doesn't actually need-- it's 6 :D 3 :) 3 :(. It can finish WS in 10 turns, 2 turns after we are actually able to build it. It also has built pretty much every improvement it can. Thus, I suggest En'Gha for the site of our Wall Street.

En'Gha is not a border city and thus the culture gained from a small wonder is of not significant benefit. I have not yet performed a cultural analysis of all border areas so there are likely some candidates in Roma, Edo, or Kitakinu. There is one candidate in HAI-RANDO: Regent Town is currently in a culture war with two babylonian cities. We have to be close to winning the war but Elippi still has a lead. The additional culture from a small wonder could be what is needed to push culture at Elippi instead of the other way around.

I agree with the idea of improving the culture of border towns. However, the question we need to ask ourselves is how long we are prepared to wait for WS? Of the border towns, Regent Town can produce WS the fastest (17 turns), Osgiliath is second (19 turns), and no other border town can finish it in less that 30 turns. So, the list of possible WS cities, as I see it, is:

Fanatikku - 11 turns. One of our top producing cities.
Zojoji - 9 turns. Another of our top producers, however the recent demand for a strong navy (which Zojoji is helping to build) may preclude this choice.
Shorin-Ryu - 18 turns (needs to finish its bank). Another top producer, however it needs to finish its own bank before it can start on Wall Street.
Odawara - 11 turns. A good solid choice, though it is likely this city will be busy building the Forbidden Palace soon.
Immo - 12 turns. Another strong producer.
En'Gha - 10 turns. Currently building a colosseum it doesn't need, thus it has a lot of shields invested already.
Regent Town - 17 turns. A border town that is currently in a culture showdown with the Babylon city of Ellipi
Osgiliath - 19 turns. Another border town, this one on the Zulu border (the Culture Ministry considers Zulu culture as less of a threat to our cities than Babylon culture).

Shorin Ryu could be considered a loose border city, as it, Osgiliath, and Duckburg are in contest with Hlobane.

We've got 2 Zulu Cities. Let's try for a 3rd!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have a couple questions on required techs:
What tech is a pre-req for building wall street? Is it the corporation?
How many turns is it likely to be until we get this tech?

Obviously this last tech depends on what techs we research. My point is that Osgiliath or Regent Town can pre-build so that Wall Street can be built soon after we have the required tech. This will require the Science and Culture departments to work togather and establish a doctrine of what will be researched when.

To build Wall Street you need 5 banks. I believe we have 5 banks, if not close to that number.
As I said, there is no tech requirement except Banking to build Banks.

Let's build it. Soon !! :)

MOTH said:
I have a couple questions on required techs:
What tech is a pre-req for building wall street? Is it the corporation?
How many turns is it likely to be until we get this tech?

Obviously this last tech depends on what techs we research. My point is that Osgiliath or Regent Town can pre-build so that Wall Street can be built soon after we have the required tech. This will require the Science and Culture departments to work togather and establish a doctrine of what will be researched when.

There are technically no tech requirements for building Wall Street. The only requirement is that we must have at least 5 banks in cities we control. We have 4 banks already, and Shorin-Ryu is building the 5th in 8 turns. Thus, if we start pre-building now, we will have an 8 turn head start on the Wonder.

A poll for where to build Wall Street is up right here.

Notice: I didn't include Odawara because it looks like that will soon be the site for our Forbidden Palace.

Top Bottom