smaller to larger map difficulty

aquar

Chieftain
For the Civ4 pros here. I do play Vanilla; yes, I'm a casual player and love the game.

My question: I've read and believe from the data that epic and marathon games are much easier than normal and quick speed games. I would like to know if, overall, there is a difficulty factor in smaller to larger maps with the standard number of civs on each map. I play continents if that matters; I'm sure this might vary with type of map but I would like to know for standard settings on continents (input on other landmaps is very welcome) with only the size of the map varying.

Thank you!

Larger maps mean more opponents.

More opponents mean that certain types of victory (domination, conquest) become more difficult. OTOH, more civs usually means faster teching due to an increased number of trading partners.

I would say generally that larger maps are better for space race & cultural victories (quicker access to enabling techs), but that smaller maps are better for conquest, domination, and diplomacy (fewer enemy AI civs to defeat/enlist).

Thank you, Slobberinbear. That will lead to my next question regarding how to more effectively trade with AI's in technology and what techpaths each AI takes.
I will post a new thread for these two questions to better fit 'searches' in the future.

Top Bottom