SMAN's The World at War Scenario - The War in Europe (WW2)

Hello Everyone. I've been on a break from Civ modding for the past few months - just needed to... :crazyeye:

But, I'm back now, and will begin looking over some comments and hopefully start working on fixing some things. Thanks for your patience!

Hello, I'm new here and just discovering the world of Civ 5 mods and scenario downloads. I've got a few up and running, but I can't use SMAN's World at War scenarios as my download of Civ 5 is from the app store, not Steam.

Does anyone have a link to a non-Steam download of this mod scenario, or can anyone send direct to me?

Thanks!

Hey there!
I my game the war didnt start in any turn. I tried it over 20 turns without any success. I have set the round time until the war should start to 1 round. But nothing happened. I played with Poland, but I've also tried it with Germany and Italy. No other mods are active so what could be the problem, and is there any chance that it will work ?

Attachments

• net_message_debug.txt
    297.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Database.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Lua.txt
    73.5 KB · Views: 87
  • stopwatch.txt
    63.3 KB · Views: 66
  • xml.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 66
  • xml-perf.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 61
also there are my scenario specifics files
Thanks for helping me :)

Attachments

• 090_ScenarioGlobals.txt
    61.9 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for uploading the logs. I see an error occurring each turn during your turn. When this happens, the mod stops doing anything for you the rest of the turn, and resumes normal processing when the next player's turn starts. As all of the diplomatic events are programmed to fire during your turn, these will never happen. It explains why the war (or anything else) ever happens.

I'm not certain, but I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the "localization" databases, which is how the game uses/adjusts text based on the game's default language settings. The map itself uses some text keys from the game's normal city names, but the mod seems to be using only English names. If you're playing with a different default language, it might render a different city name for the city than what the mod thinks the city should be called. This appears to be what's causing the error in your game turn, which then prevents normal things from happening - like the big war thingee.

Please try to play with English as the game's language and see if we have the same problem.

When I update this mod in a week or two, I'm definitely fixing the problem with city names. I "recycled" the city names, using the game's existing text keys to save time. I'll remove those and hard code the city names, then problems like this will never, ever happen.

This begs a new question, however: I've had several people comment on whether to use "local" city names or standard English spellings, e.g. "Rome" or "Roma". The mod uses kind of a combination of the two, but I'm wondering if I should fix this and if I do, then which way should I go - all "local" spellings or standard American spellings for city names? What do you think?

Keeping in mind the game sometimes uses non-standard Latin characters (think umlauts) well, and it sometimes doesn't understand them at all. Introduces all kinds of hard-to-trace errors. It's why I've removed all most all of the non-standard characters from the unit/ship names. The game just works better when I do. So, I'm tending to want to avoid non-standard characters, just to keep the code safer. So, Düsseldorf would be Duesseldorf on the map. Or would simple Dusseldorf be the better alternative?

You see, this isn't a simple problem to solve, as some will like any of the 3 alternatives better and think the other 2 are stupid...

@ www.bpkugel98 - I've updated much of the WW2 scenario. Havbe added both the "Lend-Lease" event, which has a 15% chance to add 1-3 Sherman Tank units for the Soviets, if they still own Moscow.

upload_2020-10-21_15-48-3.jpeg

Have also added the "Army of Moscow" event, which fires the first time any German unit gets within 6 tiles of Moscow. This event launches a random number of units: Tanks (3 - 6), Infantry (4 - 7), Partisans (1 - 4), Militia (2 - 6), Rocket Arty (BM-13, 1 - 3), Artillery (ML-20, 2 - 4), and FLaK (2 - 5). So, up to 13 major combat divisions, as well as up to 10 minor combat formations, and up to 12 support units (artillery and air defense). These all spawn just to the East of Moscow, but close enough to join the fight in 1-2 turns.

upload_2020-10-21_15-48-24.jpeg upload_2020-10-21_15-48-43.jpeg

I've also added an extra 2-4 armor & infantry divisions (total) to the "Spring" offensive (in May game turns, 2-4 per front, so up to 6-12 if the Soviets own Moscow/Stalingrad/Voronezh). I've also added a "Winter Offensive" which also adds all these units to those 3 fronts if possible. Unlike the Spring offensives, which automatically happen, there's only a 50% chance that a Winter offensive will launch in any given January turn in 1942-1945.

The Winter Warfare event is now working properly. This means that units in an enemy country during December, January, and February don't heal damage at all, while friendly units do. This makes it much harder to sustain an offensive in the winter in enemy territory - of that territory is in the "Winter Warfare Box" - which is basically anything in the Nordic countries (less Denmark), and most of the USSR/Baltics.

I'm just starting the "enhance occupation" changes we mentioned earlier (lengthening the number of turns the city is in anarchy and periodically spawning rebels if the city is in anarchy, and adjusting both of these dynamics more if the conquering civ is a human player). Should have those finished in a few.

I'm thinking that with these new events, Winter Warfare, and "Enhanced Occupation", you'll see that conquering the USSR should be much, much harder, and for a human player especially. If you do test these features on the new release (V4), I'm very interested in your feedback as to whether it's punishing enough or not.

Thanks!

Hey Sman, here are the logs. I played this one for 100 Turns.

Attachments

• My Logs.docx
    41.6 KB · Views: 72
Hello Sman! I've tried twice your scenario, and first of all I would like to thank you for all the effort you have invested on it. But I think I have the same issue than other people before, and is that even if I select a different game speed from epic, it still set on epic. In fact, once I save and load the game, it is shown with epic speed. Is there any other way to force the mod to change the game speed?

Sorry for the delays getting back. Yes the game speed is only allowed on Epic - to better simulate monthly game turns. I tried it at different game speeds in testing and the results varied greatly from what you'd expect from historical norms. Different sides got way too OP too fast, and some just quite.

So, hopefully it's not too game breaking for anyone, but it really did play the best I thought.

Top Bottom