SMAN's The World at War Scenario - The War in Europe (WW2)

sman1975

Emperor
This forum is the "Collaboration Space" for the development, testing, release and feedback to the World War 2 (in Europe)Scenario, that uses the main "SMAN's The World at War" mod design.

The mod offers 17 playable civs on a custom European/North Atlantic map. Over 200 civ-specific units provide additional immersive quality to the game. Customized events also enrich the gaming experience.

upload_2019-2-12_12-16-30.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-16-45.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-16-57.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-17-18.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-17-37.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-17-57.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-18-17.jpeg upload_2019-2-12_12-18-31.jpegupload_2019-2-13_9-51-0.jpeg

Last edited:
This mod is the first attempt to employ the World at War - Scenario Management Engine (WAW-SME)

This library of code allows rapid design/implementation of new scenarios, using an extensive, data-driven approach. Basically, most of the working code exists and will execute based on a few elements of data, which can quickly be adjusted to provide a new scenario with minimal new code.

The main drivers in the SME are focused on "Combat Operations" or OPs. These are the "main efforts" a civ will undertake to help accomplish its geopolitical goals. Only a few pieces of data are required to define these OPs.

OPs are broken down into 1 to 3 "fronts" - main thrusts within a given OP. For example, Germany invaded the USSR using a Combat OP called "Barbarossa", after the great Emperor of historical fame (even if his swimming skills left much to desire...). Within this OP there will be 3 fronts: North, Center, and South. Each of these fronts consist of a list of Objective Cities - cities the civ will take in order, and a "box" (bottom left and top right plots) - and any friendly units within these boxes will move toward and try to take the next objective city on the list.

There are a few more pieces of data required to properly define a scenario, but this is basically all the SME needs to successfully put up a decent fight in a scenario setting.

Here is the overview of the SME (updated 03/01/19):

upload_2019-3-1_7-12-31.jpeg

Last edited:
The heart of the SME is its use of Combat Operations (OPs), coupled with corresponding "Fronts."

An OP is a main level of effort, directed against a specific enemy civ. It consists of 1-3 Fronts, which are used to generate extra reinforcements (for AI civs), and help direct movement of units near the area towards their next objective.

A Front basically consists of a list of cities that the attacking civ wants to conquer - in order, usually from nearest to the attacker to the furthest away. When that attacker takes enough of these cities in all of an OP's Fronts, they will win the OP.

Data is updated in a special file in a mod that uses the SME, called, "00_ScenarioGlobals.lua" By filling out data in a specific format, the SME will interpret these data to determine how it wants to direct AI civs and units to perform in a manner that (at least tries to) mimics a human player who understands what they should be trying to accomplish, given the parameters of the scenario.

The attachment below shows the data required for the SME to prosecute successfully. It does take a little thought in actually deciding what OPs to include. However, the amount of data required is not very extensive, with the 44 OPs in the WW2 scenario requiring about 2 hours to build.

Here is an example of the German OPs used in the WW2 Scenario:

upload_2019-2-12_12-39-7.jpeg

As you can see, these OPs are intricately tied to the scenario map, and require some thought into how to structure and synchronize with other OPs.

Last edited:
Scenario-Specific Activities (SSAs):

These files supplement the SME by allowing tailored functions to be seamlessly introduced to the scenario. The data and expanded functionality required to "customize" a scenario using the SME are listed below:

00 - Scenario Specific Global Data: contains all information on the OPs, Fronts, Objectives, and other data the SME uses to customize the interaction of the SME with the scenario.

02 - Diplomacy: contains all information that describes how the various civs in the scenario view each other.

04 - Set Religions: If required, will define religions, and assign converts in various cities on the map, corresponding to the major religion of each civ. In the WW2 scenario, the Civ5 religion features are used, but they are called "Doctrines" - and roughly line up with the broader Ideological features of the game. This leaves religion as a minor extension of Ideologies.

05 - Scenario Functions: Allows the definition of scenario-specific Start Up Actions, Events, Reinforcements, Movement Directives, and Combat Operations Management. The SME contains calls to these functions, so no adjustments need to be made to that Library. All traps (is player alive/human/barb, etc.) need to be conducted in this file, so no adjustments will be needed in the main SME library.

Last edited:
Current Project Status (as of March 21, 2019):

The scenario is finally published on Steam!!!!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1689346337

Unfortunately, the mod weighs in at close to 40 MB, so it's too large to post on Civfanatics. Please go to Steam to download.

All-in-all, the mod is pretty stable - once it gets loaded... As the mod is so large (oversized map with way too many units), I often have to clear game cache, and even have to try a time or two (or three) to get a new civ or a saved game to load. It takes a little effort, but I do believe it's worth it once you get it up and running.

One caveat to add to all of this: this mod is released in a "semi-balanced" state. From what I've seen in the test games, things look "about" like they're supposed to, but with only about 20 partial (25-30 turns) test games and only 7-10 full games, my confidence level in the balance is not as high as I'd like it. Will really be asking my players to provide feedback to help me balance the mod to get it to a final/stable state.

So please let me know if the Germans get too much help or if there are any other issues that need fixing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, here are the error logs you requested regarding the workers giving me error popups. Civfanatics wouldn't let me upload .log files so they've been archived. Just so you know, I got the error three times.

Attachments

• SMAN Europe worker unit error logs.rar
    4 KB · Views: 231
Thanks, @p0rtalsh0oter - I looked over the logs and saw one error concerning the defensive trench terrain improvement. While fixing this, I also saw another typo that might fix the missing textures popup error.

Have tested a new version (V2), which will be published in a few on Steam. It also corrects a few other small errors.

It's odd - even though we're both using the same mod, I don't get those errors that you're seeing. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but will have to look into this a little more closely. It's showing that somehow my testing is missing obvious errors - simply because they don't cause any failures during testing.... :hammer2:

Anyways, hopefully the new version will fix this problem. Really appreciate you going the extra mile in helping me get this working correctly!

For balance Issues I think you might have underplayed the might of the red army somewhat. I think they should be allowed a larger starting force, if somewhat obsolete. The red army was the main ground force of the war, dwarfing any other army. In my games they are consequently getting beat by romania and finland even before I can get Barborossa going.
I also cant seem to get SS-troops whenever playing germany, does this follow the same random generation as it does in world at war? I also register that the french civ never seems to build any of the special improvements to fortify his maginot-line, but I dont know if that can be adressed.

All in all however, a delightful mod for people looking for the real big challenges in micromanagement of war efforts.

Salutations from Scandinavia!

@andrestu - thanks for the comments - very useful. I agree completely with the Red Army comments. I added the "Spring Offensive" event that grants them many free units every March from 1942-1945 (game turns 38, 50, 62, and 74). It's possible for them to receive between 20 and 29 free units every year during this event.

I was still tweaking those numbers when I released the mod, so it looks like it could use some more refining. Originally, the USSR had a larger army at game start, but the problem was it consistently overran Finland in a way that just seemed too a historical. So, I reduced the Red Army at game start to give the Fins a chance, then added the free units later, spawning further away from the Finnish border.

I was OK with using a smaller army at start of game to reflect the officer purges of 1938, which left the Red Army almost completely combat ineffective - something that Barbarossa demonstrated quite well. Obviously, during the course of the war, the performance of the leadership improved, and was on par with most Allied armies by war's end. But even with a rather large army in 1939, tiny Finland acquitted itself quite well.

This growing effectiveness dynamic is demonstrated in two ways: (1) Nerfing the number of Soviet units helps reflect "combat effectiveness" of the Red Army at the beginning of the war, and (2) the Spring Offensive free units event is meant to demonstrate overall improvements to the war effort over time.

Personally, I think the first goal (1) works, but I'm starting to think the second goal (2) does not. By 1943, the Red Army should be steam rolling, at least through the Balkans. Which leads me to believe the Spring Offensive numbers should be larger, or perhaps a Winter Offensive event should be added as well. Maybe?

Getting the AI to build terrain improvements is almost impossible. The hard-coded logic looks at certain "flavors" for the improvement, then decides what to build based on it's assessment of what the economy needs. Since much of the game's normal economic development logic is meaningless in a 7 year scenario, those choices will almost never reflect what a human player trying to defend his border would do. You can make "suggestions" to the AI, but they almost always ignore any tweaks in the code of the mod. Basically, if the TI's aren't on the map at game start, they won't appear where they should, ever. Terrain Improvements also represent a bit of a human player advantage, as they can actually use these improvements in strategic locations. It's one of the reasons I've nerfed some of the benefits of these improvements - so it doesn't get too OP during play. Most of them are there for looks, to give the game a more WW2 "feel..." :lol:

You're not the first person telling me the SS units don't seem to spawn for the human German player. I'm a little surprised by this, as I've seen them work just fine during testing. But the code changed soooooo much the last couple of weeks before release, I think I may have made a few changes that stopped them from spawning for the human player. I've just looked at the code and believe I have found the offending lines. I'll add this to the list of fixes for the next version. This bone-headed error also makes me want to move this scenario's fix to the top of my schedule, meaning I'll start working on this next, instead of later in the month.

Appreciate the helpful comments and suggestions! Tack så mycket!

How can I change the settings for the scenario to have unlimited rounds? I just dont like it to end that early on. There is a counter at the top of the screen, does it end then?

And: How can I turn on the fog of war? I dont want to see everything.

Keep up the great work! Looking forward for this mod, since RED WW2 stopped development (without saying a single word to anyone :lol:)

Last edited:
Thanks, @SollingDown - I actually like playing this mod, but have to confess: this mod almost made me quite modding altogether.... Was a giant PITA the entire time. Spent almost a month full-time diagnosing an intermittent error that turned out to be a faulty model - that didn't crash all the time...

Anyways, there is no way to allow unlimited rounds/game turns. You can, however, make this number quite large, which is almost the same, no? You'll have to edit a text file, but other than that, it isn't too hard to do. Instruction:

1. Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, using the WINDOW Key + e keyboard combination)

2. Navigate to the proper folder, usually some place like:

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\SMAN's World at War Scenario - The War in Europe (WW2) (v 2)\LUA\SME\Scenario Specific Files

Where 'XXXX' is the user account you installed the game under

3. Using Notepad (or some other text editor), open the file called '090_ScenarioGlobals.lua'

4. Find the 10th line in the file, which looks like:

g_iMaxTurns = 84

5. Change 84 to some other, much larger number.

6. Save the file, exit Notepad, then re-load the mod in Civ5

I'm not sure, but it's probably a good idea to keep the number a mulitple of 12. I don't think it will crash, but it may interfere with some of the scoring functions (but I doubt it). So, is you use this line:

g_iMaxTurns = 120

The scenario will run 10 years. Using 240 turns will run 20 years, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing FoW requires a similar change - a small text file edit. Actually, it's the same file as changing game turns, just a little further down the file. Specific instructions located here:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1689346337/1850323802575234391/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy hunting!

Currently playing as Spain and I love it. How can I change the time from "Epic" to "Normal". And: Is there a way to speed up the rounds loading? I have a monster PC but it takes quite long to load one round :/

P.S. How can I turn off partisans completly?

Last edited:
@Scrolling - when you're setting up the scenario, you have the opportunity to select the Game Pace.

After you enable the mod, you'll see the "Modding Game Setup" popup window - where you first select the "Map Type" for the scenario's map. After selecting the "Load Scenario" radio button, you'll then select the leader/civ you want to play.

At this point, at the bottom of the popup, left-click in the area labeled "Game Pace", then select the speed you want to play the game at. Then click on "Start Scenario" to kick off the game.

One note: the scenario is balanced around the Epic game speed. You can speed that up by selecting quicker game speeds, but this could lead to some unusual situations as the game progresses. The main thing I've seen in testing is that the UK, Germany, and USA all have atomic bombs in the middle of the game, the other civs do not (and are no where close to obtaining them), and it leads to some steamrolling that might seem a bit ahistorical as you go.

Good luck!

Hello everyone! A new version of the mod is published (V3). Summary of changes:

- Fixed SS units so they spawn for human players, too

- Increased unit spawn for Soviet Spring Offensives by ~30%

- Fixed a few German/Swedish city names, to use special characters. Was not able to change Düsseldorf, Königsberg, or München, as the API tool Worldbuilder uses a non-standardized encoding scheme for handling special characters that the game's LAU environment does not understand. As those cities are crucial objective cities for many Combat OPs, it was essential that they were "discoverable" by the LUA system. This forced me to use simple Latin characters for naming for them

- Added a "Ski Troops" unit for Finland, Norway, and Sweden. It replaces the Halftrack, with similar capabilities/promotions, but is available at game start and does not obsolete

- Added the "Winter Warrior" Promotion - that gives Ski Troops bonuses on Forest/Snow/Tundra tiles

- Gave major combatants' starting units a few promotions at beginning of scenario

- Nerfed XP gain from all Buildings by ~50%. Intent is to demonstrate marginal returns on training due to mass mobilizations

- Changed the "motto" of Norway from "Evig og Tro" to "Alt for Norge" - which was Haakon VII's personal motto

- Reworded OP Manifest Destiny (U.S.A.) briefing text to make it less confusing

- Adjusted the Turn Counter popup so it takes less of the screen and won't block temporary status messages in the upper center of the screen

Please note: This new version provides an updated, somewhat improved map file. You will need to replace the existing scenario map file with the one in this version of the mod.

Map moving instructions:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1689346337/1850323802575209317/

At this point, at the bottom of the popup, left-click in the area labeled "Game Pace", then select the speed you want to play the game at. Then click on "Start Scenario" to kick off the game.

Good luck!

Thats what I do but the game speed stays at "Epic" ingame, even thou I changed it to "Normal" at the screen before starting it.

And can you help me with the partisans (irregular units). They are making it hard to conquer anything. Can I remove those completly?

I love this mod!

Really love this mod, btw is there any way i can play this scenario on hotseat with my brother?

Top Bottom