SMAN's Unit Laboratory

sman1975

Emperor
Greetings. I'm starting this thread as a collaboration space to gather feedback to assist in the development of new units.

The primary purpose of this lab is to build units that will ultimately comprise an Information Era Unit Pack - meant to make end game content more interesting.

In testing, I'm starting the Domination Victory only, Marathon speed game in the Atomic Era, so there is some time to prepare for the arrival of the new units.

In a normal game, the Info Era tends to fly by rather quickly, which really robs players of a chance to experience what should be the most interesting warfare of the game. Hopefully, this mod pack will help with that.

More to follow...

Last edited:
First unit pack consists of 2 SAM units - improvements on the Mobile SAM in the basic game.
1. Laser SAM: Combat strength 85, costs 500. Intercept range=2. Available at Lasers. Uses modified XCom combat animations.
2. Railgun SAM: Strength 105, costs 600. Intercept range=3. Available at Nuclear Fusion. Uses modified GDR "railgun" combat animations.

Apologies in advance on the screenshots. They just don't capture the "mini-movie" of the combat animations as they resolve.

upload_2018-4-2_14-6-20.jpeg upload_2018-4-2_14-6-32.jpeg upload_2018-4-2_14-6-45.jpeg

Finishing up icons, preparing to release.

After this packet is complete, will release the "Drone Packet" next. In contains the Predator, Reaper, and Nightstalker drones.

Have completed these models, but will package them up a little later: Laser Artillery (Rocket Arty upgrade), Railgun Artillery (Laser Arty upgrade), Railgun Destroyer (Destroyer upgrade), Wild Weasel (anti-SAM jet), and Plasma Fighter (Jet Fighter upgrade).

Ultimately, all of these units, along with about 20 others, will be combined into a "Information Era Unit Pack" - hopefully in the next week or so. Most of the units in this mod pack are already in my Omnibus Mod. The new mod will package them with these new units described above.

Really appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, etc., on how to make them better.

Sixth unit published: Plasma Fighter.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/plasma-fighter.26786/

At this point, I believe this was all the new units I was going to upload. Next, I'm going to work on the "consolidated" mod - combining all these 10 units with about 20 more into a single "Information Era Unit Pack." All of those 20 units are completed, just need to bundle all of these units together.

Thanks.

Stumbled on this mod for about a week. After testing FW (Future Worlds) with good compatibility on VP (Vox Populi) and self edit, i came to a conclusion that this is way better. I edited this mod for balance on VP, self use only. Is it okey? Like this mod so much. Thanks.

@ofmiciv5 - no worries. Use the mod however you like. Thanks!

BTW - I'm currently working on a broad-focused mod that adds a lot of techs/units/buildings to expand the second half of the gaming experience. Much from this mod has been recycled into the new mod. Am hoping to release in the next week or so.

@ofmiciv5 - no worries. Use the mod however you like. Thanks!

BTW - I'm currently working on a broad-focused mod that adds a lot of techs/units/buildings to expand the second half of the gaming experience. Much from this mod has been recycled into the new mod. Am hoping to release in the next week or so.

Have you ever heard or us VP (VOX Populi)? (pretty much better than the stable May 20 build).
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-beta-version-october-10th-10-10.637285/

This mod as of now works great on it with a little tweak on costs and other balance issues.
As this was originally intended for information era and beyond it would be great and it wouldn't be hard to make the tech tree compatible with VP. But still, I hope you can. If you haven't tried VP, try it with your mod.

It would be inevitable to have compatibility issues with Enlightenment era as well... nevertheless, lets see. I don't mind ditching EE but not VP.

Yes, I've worked with Enginseer (the "boss" of VP) to review some of my mods to help make them work better with VP. Even offered cold-hard cash for some support from him on this. Didn't get very far, unfortunately...

I haven't used VP very much, to my aging eyes, it along with EUI, provides too much screen clutter (my main complaint with Civ 6). So, I'm not a very good tester for mods combining with VP. Just don't know what behavior is wrong/sub-optimal when I see it.

Have a few players who help testing VP issues from time to time, but it's more hit than miss. Again, unfortunately...

VP designers don't publish much in the way of guides to help improve compatibility (hence my offer of cash...), so it's too much of a trial and error exercise for me to spend much time on. You'd be surprised how many unproductive hours can be frittered away on issues like these. So, at this point, I'm back to my original rule in making mods: I make the ones that interest me, and attempt to make them as accessible as possible. If they play well with other mods, that's great, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over compatibility...

The new mod, which basically doubles the techs in Industrial - Info Era, and adds a slimmed-down Era that is a hommage to Future Worlds, adds a ton of units (maybe 150+) and a about 75 buildings to those Eras. But it doesn't change much in the way the normal game plays. The changes are "vertical" and not "horizontal" - meaning, gameplay is expanded by adding new content to existing "things" - and not by adding new "things." The goal would be to make the game more fun/interesting, but not require much of a learning curve to enjoy.

When I played RED or some of the other replacement/semi-replacement mods, it took a great deal of time to learn the new "horizontal" features. There's a time and place for that, but with the new mod I wanted to go a different direction.

I guess to summarize, I'm adding a new mod in the next few days that incorporates the units from the mod into a new gaming context, along with buildings and techs, that combine to make a more expanded, robust, and cohesive experience. Not just new units. A context where it all combines to fit logically. And all covering the second half of the tech tree, where frankly the game starts to get much more interesting but usually flies by due to the tech race.

Unfortunately, the mod changes so much to bring this context together, the compatibility problem with other mods will be much worse.

If, OTOH, you're interested in (literally) working on these kinds of problems, I'd definitely appreciate some assistance getting my mods more into VP compliance.

Teaser photo:

upload_2018-11-8_11-38-40.jpeg

Yes, I've worked with Enginseer (the "boss" of VP) to review some of my mods to help make them work better with VP. Even offered cold-hard cash for some support from him on this. Didn't get very far, unfortunately...

I haven't used VP very much, to my aging eyes, it along with EUI, provides too much screen clutter (my main complaint with Civ 6). So, I'm not a very good tester for mods combining with VP. Just don't know what behavior is wrong/sub-optimal when I see it.

Have a few players who help testing VP issues from time to time, but it's more hit than miss. Again, unfortunately...

VP designers don't publish much in the way of guides to help improve compatibility (hence my offer of cash...), so it's too much of a trial and error exercise for me to spend much time on. You'd be surprised how many unproductive hours can be frittered away on issues like these. So, at this point, I'm back to my original rule in making mods: I make the ones that interest me, and attempt to make them as accessible as possible. If they play well with other mods, that's great, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over compatibility...

The new mod, which basically doubles the techs in Industrial - Info Era, and adds a slimmed-down Era that is a hommage to Future Worlds, adds a ton of units (maybe 150+) and a about 75 buildings to those Eras. But it doesn't change much in the way the normal game plays. The changes are "vertical" and not "horizontal" - meaning, gameplay is expanded by adding new content to existing "things" - and not by adding new "things." The goal would be to make the game more fun/interesting, but not require much of a learning curve to enjoy.

When I played RED or some of the other replacement/semi-replacement mods, it took a great deal of time to learn the new "horizontal" features. There's a time and place for that, but with the new mod I wanted to go a different direction.

I guess to summarize, I'm adding a new mod in the next few days that incorporates the units from the mod into a new gaming context, along with buildings and techs, that combine to make a more expanded, robust, and cohesive experience. Not just new units. A context where it all combines to fit logically. And all covering the second half of the tech tree, where frankly the game starts to get much more interesting but usually flies by due to the tech race.

Unfortunately, the mod changes so much to bring this context together, the compatibility problem with other mods will be much worse.

If, OTOH, you're interested in (literally) working on these kinds of problems, I'd definitely appreciate some assistance getting my mods more into VP compliance.

Teaser photo:

View attachment 507959

We see it oppositely. I use the EUI to reduce screen cluttering. I'm using a 1366x768 reso. Not using EUI and the vanilla one is too big, cluttering much the screen and not easy-one-look-summary. I eventually ended up tweaking the top panel to simplify, remove resources and use the diplomacy list. I believe we can still use the EUI in your intended mod as long there is no major changes on the interface, which I think you will not touch.

Balancing is not that bad into VP, we can work on it. What concerns me most is making/reworking the tech tree to be compatible with VP which I haven't much luck yet. But somehow I do get the idea about this prereq tech, grid x and y etc. Like you, pretty much trial and error. Haha!

Attachments

• civ1.png
    civ1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 305
Last edited:
we do share the same sentiments and vision that around industrial to info era seems short and would love to drag that era out. looking forward for your mod next week. that would coincide the release of the new beta vp which is tonight and i have free to time to try to make it compatible and balanced for vp.

That sounds quite promising. If you're interested in collaborating, I'm offering design co-credit and $$$ to bring my mods into VP compliance. Getting EUI would also be a bonus, too. I simply don't have the time (and often the expertise) needed to make them VP and/or EUI compliant, unfortunately.

For the smaller mods, I'm offering $25 each (12 mods): Duchy of Brittany, Fantasy Army: Arcane Allies, Fantasy Army: Wandering Monsters, Legendary Headstart, Late Game Unit Pack, SOD The Mod, Exotic Units, CPPS, Napoleon: Germanic Nations, Napoleon: Med Kingdoms, Napoleon: Ottoman World, La Guerre de Cent Ans.

For the larger, more involved mods, I'm offering $50 each (4 mods): Covert Operations, Fantasy Army, SMAN's Omnibus Mod, Napoleon at War.

As you can see, I'm willing to invest a lot to get the mods to play well with VP, as it's such a popular mod. It seems about 25% of the questions I get on Steam go something like, "Is this compatible with VP????" What I'd give to be able to put into the Description, "COMPATIBLE WITH VP/EUI!!!!" Would save everyone a lot of typing...

Prices negotiable. Can check out the mods at my workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198163535223/myworkshopfiles/?appid=8930

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the new mod, "The World at War" (WaW), is a "family" of mods that are really that extensive. Prices listed after each sub-mod.

There's a "base" mod that adds techs/buildings/units, etc., that expand Industrial - Info, adding a Future War Era. ($50)

There's a companion mod - "Unique Units" - that adds alot of civ-specific unit models that replace normal unit models for those civs to give the game more flavor (9 normal European civs). ($25)

There are 4 "End at .... Era" companion mods that allow the game to end in each of the 4 in-game Eras. (no sense in adding an "End at Future War Era"). (Not sure how much work is required/if possible - basically, the mods adjust the WaW Tech Tree to stop progress.)

One of my previous mods "After the Revolution" was originally part of the WaW base mod. But, it grew so large/extensive it seemed to make sense to convert it into a stand-alone mod. ($25 to make it compatible with WaW, the VP/EUI price above is a separate task).

There are/will be 4 Scenarios, mods that are customized to provide a game focusing on warfare in each of the in-game Eras (no Future War Era scenario, yet. Just can't figure out the custom civ problem of "who."): The Great Game (Industrial), The War to End All Wars (Modern), The War in Europe, 1939-1945 (Atomic), and The Cold War (Information). I'm putting the final touches on the first scenario (War to End All Wars), but have built the "engine" in such a way that finishing the last 3 should move quickly, with mostly requiring new custom civs.

The scenarios are problematic, as they make sooooo many changes to everything - base game and WaW data. ($50 each)

I'm also very interested in modifying the "Covert Operations" mod so it plays well with this family of mods. It could also use a little TLC from someone who knows LUA better... ($25).

A few of the Steam slides on the "base" mods (man I need a better description for that...):

upload_2018-11-9_8-47-34.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-47-58.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-48-35.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-49-45.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-50-15.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-50-55.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-51-13.jpeg upload_2018-11-9_8-52-44.jpeg

Again, all prices negotiable. Let me know if you're even the slightest bit interested. Thanks!

Last edited:
That sounds quite promising. If you're interested in collaborating, I'm offering design co-credit and $$$ to bring my mods into VP compliance. Getting EUI would also be a bonus, too. I simply don't have the time (and often the expertise) needed to make them VP and/or EUI compliant, unfortunately.

For the smaller mods, I'm offering $25 each (12 mods): Duchy of Brittany, Fantasy Army: Arcane Allies, Fantasy Army: Wandering Monsters, Legendary Headstart, Late Game Unit Pack, SOD The Mod, Exotic Units, CPPS, Napoleon: Germanic Nations, Napoleon: Med Kingdoms, Napoleon: Ottoman World, La Guerre de Cent Ans.

For the larger, more involved mods, I'm offering $50 each (4 mods): Covert Operations, Fantasy Army, SMAN's Omnibus Mod, Napoleon at War.

As you can see, I'm willing to invest a lot to get the mods to play well with VP, as it's such a popular mod. It seems about 25% of the questions I get on Steam go something like, "Is this compatible with VP????" What I'd give to be able to put into the Description, "COMPATIBLE WITH VP/EUI!!!!" Would save everyone a lot of typing...

Prices negotiable. Can check out the mods at my workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198163535223/myworkshopfiles/?appid=8930

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the new mod, "The World at War" (WaW), is a "family" of mods that are really that extensive. Prices listed after each sub-mod.

There's a "base" mod that adds techs/buildings/units, etc., that expand Industrial - Info, adding a Future War Era. ($50)

There's a companion mod - "Unique Units" - that adds alot of civ-specific unit models that replace normal unit models for those civs to give the game more flavor (9 normal European civs). ($25)

There are 4 "End at .... Era" companion mods that allow the game to end in each of the 4 in-game Eras. (no sense in adding an "End at Future War Era"). (Not sure how much work is required/if possible - basically, the mods adjust the WaW Tech Tree to stop progress.)

One of my previous mods "After the Revolution" was originally part of the WaW base mod. But, it grew so large/extensive it seemed to make sense to convert it into a stand-alone mod. ($25 to make it compatible with WaW, the VP/EUI price above is a separate task).

There are/will be 4 Scenarios, mods that are customized to provide a game focusing on warfare in each of the in-game Eras (no Future War Era scenario, yet. Just can't figure out the custom civ problem of "who."): The Great Game (Industrial), The War to End All Wars (Modern), The War in Europe, 1939-1945 (Atomic), and The Cold War (Information). I'm putting the final touches on the first scenario (War to End All Wars), but have built the "engine" in such a way that finishing the last 3 should move quickly, with mostly requiring new custom civs.

The scenarios are problematic, as they make sooooo many changes to everything - base game and WaW data. ($50 each)

I'm also very interested in modifying the "Covert Operations" mod so it plays well with this family of mods. It could also use a little TLC from someone who knows LUA better... ($25).

A few of the Steam slides on the "base" mods (man I need a better description for that...):

View attachment 508052 View attachment 508053 View attachment 508054 View attachment 508056 View attachment 508057 View attachment 508059 View attachment 508060 View attachment 508063

Again, all prices negotiable. Let me know if you're even the slightest bit interested. Thanks!

Looks great! Hoping someone will heed the call.

Spoiler :

edit: hopefully you can publish the beta version of that here or on steam, so we can starting dissecting and make a compatibility version of it. looking at the tech tree... looks like a hell of rework and balance needed for VP! haha! balance may take forever but maybe at least making the tree efficient and compatible would be good enough. unit-building-tech cost wouldn't be that hard.

Spoiler :
would be interested in that if i do have the technical knowledge as supposed to the current knowledge i have of trial and error. other people would be better suited for this and hope they will heed to your call. but still, i'll try. besides, in my humble opinion, if i happen to do have that knowledge, i wouldn't want to get paid for that. i really hate the world now that for any small favors or request, would tantamount to mandatory fees (paid/donation/whatever). time allotted on helping shouldn't be based on monetary. not unless, you make a living out if it. though a good donation is healthy to recognize the efforts made. can we just make good mods and help each other. it will benefit us all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom