SMAX and high cpu usage

It's true that SMACX will use 100% of the CPU on a single processor system (or 50% on a dual-core, and so on). However, I ran some tests several years ago and found that the game will yield processing time to other programs, if necessary. So there should be no need to throttle the CPU. Are you having a performance problem when running SMACX?

Petek

I have no performance problems running the game but it uses around 50 % cpu on my dual core.
I just dont like the idea of having one of my prosessors going at 100. Ive tried civ2 and when throttling I get it down to around 8 % cpu.

So are you saying that my computer will not get smoking hot running SMAX for a longer period of time?

Hmm ... , I hadn't thought about the effect of high CPU use on system temp. I think it might depend on how the OS handles the System Idle Process. I'll look into this and report back. I can tell you that no one, AFAIK, has ever reported a heating problem with the game.

Oh, and

SMAC = Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
SMAX = Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire
SMACX = both games

Petek

I found this app. not long ago. Its a cpu limiter.

It works, but in-game sound gets very distorted and menus will pop up a little slower, because of the slower cpu

If anyone are interested here`s the link to it

http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

So far it seems to be my best sollution so far. It works with everything cpu intensive stuff but will probably not work to well with games. Exept turn-based games maybe.

Top Bottom