Smiley code spelling

Eklektikos

Eponymous
This is really a very small thing and obviously not hugely urgent, but is there any chance that the code for the :worshp: smiley could be changed from "worshp" to "worship"? It's just a lot easier to remember codes that aren't afflicted by typos ;)

Well I guess I can't really argue with either of those allegations :mischief:

However it is rather annoying to have to wait for the entire smiley list to load up over dial-up just because you've forgotten that the code for the smiley you want to use is missing a letter somewhere :ack:

Actually, the only ones I can think of that are "strange" are :crazyeye: and :worshp:

I often see people leave the final "s" on "crazyeye" because you expect it to be plural. I assume there is an 8-character length on the name of the tag? I can't explain "worshp" that way though.

:confused:

yeah, there is an 8 letter limit for smily codes.

Worship smily code is fixed now. :)

Thanks TF :goodjob:

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
Now let's see how many people had memorized that smilie code the 'wrong' way and still try to use it. ;)

:D Were I not a reader of Site Feedback, I know it would've confused me when the "worshp" no longer worked....

What I most enjoy about this change is that it retroactively applies to all posts, (see EK's first post and Padma's which are now without the ":worship:")...

Don't worry people will get used to it and in the long term it will be an improvement. :)

Originally posted by Thunderfall
yeah, there is an 8 letter limit for smily codes.
Ah, that also explains why :undecide: is "undecide" instead of "undecided." And I have a suggestion for it: How about :/ instead of "undecide"?

I think that would play havoc with URLs, since it would unavoidably be included in the "http://" part.

Originally posted by Eklektikos
I think that would play havoc with URLs, since it would unavoidably be included in the "http://" part.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. Never mind, then.

But why is it "undecide" anyway? To me, it looks more like "slightly sad" rather than "undecided." I mean, who looks like that when they're undecided?

Also, on the same note, why is :groucho: "groucho"? Isn't it representing something besides being grouchy?

And hey, just realized the new [civ3] and [ptw] smilies. Thx, TF! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by WillJ
Also, on the same note, why is :groucho: "groucho"? Isn't it representing something besides being grouchy?
It's a reference to the comic actor Groucho Marx - star of numerous black and white films in the first half of the last century - who was very prone to use of that facial expression.

Originally posted by Eklektikos
It's a reference to the comic actor Groucho Marx - star of numerous black and white films in the first half of the last century - who was very prone to use of that facial expression.
Oh, OK. I still stand by my "undecide" statement, though.

Top Bottom