Smoking weed can make you kill Jews, it turns out.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
https://www.thejc.com/news/world/french-prosecutors-drop-murder-charges-jewish-kindergarten-teacher-sarah-halimi-killer-kobili-traoré-1.493649
A French prosecutor has dropped charges against the killer of Jewish kindergarten teacher Sarah Halimi after experts ruled he had suffered a massive psychotic episode by smoking cannabis.

Ms Halimi, who was Orthodox, was killed after Kobili Traoré broke into her council flat in eastern Paris on April 4 2017.

Witnesses said the 65-year-old was beaten and called a “demon” by her attacker, who recited Koranic verses as he threw her off her balcony.

In an appeals court hearing on Wednesday Traoré admitted killing Ms Halimi, saying he was not aware of his actions on the night of the murder and did not recognise when he broke in.

“I felt persecuted. When I saw the Torah and a chandelier in her home I felt oppressed. I saw her face transforming,” he said.

But in a rare turn of events, French prosecutors were divided on how to proceed.

Local prosecutors in Paris initially argued that Kobili Traoré should be put on trial for his actions. But they were opposed by the more senior procureur général, which argued Traoré should be hospitalised.

The different opinions come after separate panels of psychiatrists concluded Mr Traoré had suffered a psychotic episode after a massive use of cannabis, but disagreed over whether he was partially aware of his actions.

Basically, this guy smoked a joint, then broke into a Jewish teacher's home, beat her, and threw her off the balcony while shouting "I killed the Shaitan". French authorities did not recognize it as an antisemitic crime. Could've happened to anyone, I guess!

Last edited:
Yeah this is a man bites dog story. How many mofos flip out and commit murder while drunk?

Something like half of US murders. It doesn't seem to be particularly effective defense tho.

Correlation isn't causation right? That psychedelic episode from smoking cannabis line cracks me up.

Yeah this is a man bites dog story. How many mofos flip out and commit murder while drunk?

I guess Philando Castile's death was also a man bites dog story, and not worth discussing.

It's more noteworthy because he's being let off for it, in case you didn't get that part.

It is France. This would never happen in the US, unless it was a black Jew of course.

A drug dealer and addict says pot made him murder someone?

Sounds like he had a religiously induced psychotic episode, not sure anti-semitism had anything to do with it.

Seems ridiculous to drop the murder charge in this case. But I don't see how he is being "let off for it," presumably if it was determined to be psychosis or whatever, he will be involuntarily committed to an institution for a lengthy period of time.

Seems ridiculous to drop the murder charge in this case. But I don't see how he is being "let off for it," presumably if it was determined to be psychosis or whatever, he will be involuntarily committed to an institution for a lengthy period of time.

Hitler tripped and fell on his head, oh looks like justice was done.

Sounds like he had a religiously induced psychotic episode, not sure anti-semitism had anything to do with it.

“I felt persecuted. When I saw the Torah and a chandelier in her home I felt oppressed. I saw her face transforming.”

“I felt persecuted. When I saw the Torah and a chandelier in her home I felt oppressed. I saw her face transforming.”

oops, I read that and suffered a pot induced momentary lapse of reason and forgot

Otoh he was already freaking out before entering her apartment, even scared a family into locking themselves in a bathroom. Course that doesn't mean anti-semitism wasn't a trigger for how he behaved in her apartment.

I guess Philando Castile's death was also a man bites dog story, and not worth discussing.

It's more noteworthy because he's being let off for it, in case you didn't get that part.

Is he?
The article says charges are being dropped but also says it will be decided if he goes on trial on 19/12.
Also being committed to a psychiatric institution means indefinite confinement, not the same as walking free.

What's the connection? I dont follow

People escape jail due to reasons of insanity all the time (and often part of the defense is that they are on too much/too little/the wrong drugs).

What exactly is your point?

Yeah, I'm saving up my but I was on too much metformin defense.

Justice means being held to account for his actual crime. Even if he gets a different sentence or ends up in an institution, that's not true justice.

Also, there seems to be a desire to not make an issue out of antisemitic violence, much like police shootings in the United States can't involve racial animus. The perpetrator is always given the benefit of the doubt. So it's a giant middle finger to French Jews as a whole.

What's the connection? I dont follow

It is generally considered wrong to end someone's life for no good reason. Even worse if your reason was that they belonged to a certain ethnic group.

Last edited:
Even if he gets a different sentence or ends up in an institution, that's not true justice.

I think it's interesting that you believe you are better-positioned to determine this than the French judicial system...

Also, there seems to be a desire to not make an issue out of antisemitic violence, much like police shootings in the United States can't involve racial animus. The perpetrator is always given the benefit of the doubt. So it's a giant middle finger to French Jews as a whole.
Not by the French courts. They classified it as an anti-Semitic attack according to the Wikipedia article you link to.

I think it's interesting that you believe you are better-positioned to determine this than the French judicial system...

What could have produced this sudden respect for the system? Surely you oppose antisemitismandallotherformsofracism.

Not by the French courts. They classified it as an anti-Semitic attack according to the Wikipedia article you link to.

By the police and politicians, yes.

EDIT: Here's a Tabletmag article with details I missed. It's even worse than I thought.

Last edited:
Psychosis can send you many places, including into the paranoia of others that prior to the episode you didn’t have. In this guys case, it was to something very anti Semitic. He’s a murderer and who cares if it was weed or not, can’t let weed be a defense like that. Maybe a mitigating something with the right examination. But murderers must be addressed.

What could have produced this sudden respect for the system? Surely you oppose antisemitismandallotherformsofracism.

I'm hardly suggesting that the decision the courts eventually hand down should be immune from criticism, but you seem to have decided that the outcome is bad when the outcome hasn't actually happened yet...

Top Bottom