1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap shot

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Ali Ardavan, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I read most logs. That is part of the fun of playing a GOTM. Like many others, I am sure, I am often curious how the results I am reading about compare to mine. Most people offer summary of their empire at various junctures. I figured if we can standardize the content and the format of this summary it would go a long way in making logs more readable and reading them more enjoyable.

For the content, the objective is to provide a snap shot of your empire with all the important info. Neither too much, nor too little.

For the format, the objective is for it to be readable without being too elaborate.

This is what I am using nowadays:

Status at +1500
    Population: 6.25M Cities: 28 Trade routes: 8D,7F Government: Democracy
    Finance. Treasury: 36 Cost per turn: 59 Income: 135 Tax rate: 20%
    Science: Total advances: 37 Advance every 3 turns Science rate: 50%
    Production: 157MT 0 polluted tiles
    Wonders: Colossus, Marco Polo, Michelangelo, Copernicus, Newton
    Units: 18 Settlers (2 None), 24 Phalanx, 2 Archers, 1 Horseman, 1 Elephant, 2 Crusaders, 2 Triremes, 1 Diplomat, 12 Caravan.
    Celt: destroyed by Mongols
    Zulu: 2 cities, 14 tech, 573g, war with me
    Aztec: 5 cities, 29 tech, 860g, , Pyramids, Hanging gardens
    American: destroyed by me
    Carthaginian: 7 cities, 19 tech, 937g, , Lighthouse, King Richard,
    Mongol: 8 cities, 20 tech, 504g, , Great wall

I produce one of these in my log in years +1, +500, +1000, +1500, +1750, +1850, +1900, +1950, +2000

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I was doing a "Strategic Review" every 1000 years in BC, switching to every 500 in AD. I also saved the game at -3000,-2000,-1000,-500,+500, etc in addition to the two required by GOTM. Your Summary seems like it could be a little repetitive ("Celts: destroyed by Mongols" would appear in every summary when there is an early knock-out; I think I had one around 3500BC in one game...). And some of the detail depends on getting an embassy, but is useful both for player and log-reader if known.

3. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

Ali, it is good to know that (at a minimum) someone is reading my logs. :) In the past, ElephantU has commented on the logs that I have posted as well.

I admire what it is that you are attempting to standardize, but a couple of the information pieces you list are a bit arcane. How, for example, do you know how many trade routes you have set up? Do you scroll through your city screens and count them? What does "8D, 7F" stand for?

Also, it may be helpful for you to add some periods or some other delimiter to some of the lines. In some lines, you list more than one item and the words are running together.

To follow up on ElephantU's thoughts, I examine the stats whenever the "High Council" prompt comes up. That way I am not doing it all of the time.

Just some suggestions. :cool:

4. noughmaster

noughmaster nough-dist

One thing I try to do with the log is explain clearly what I did and why in the BC period. I think the differences between people's positions in, say 1000BC and 1AD will explain a lot about the differences in landing / conquest dates and scores.
    Detailed analysis of starts is important in learning the best way to set up a "position".
    I get a bit lazy after this because of the number of cities.
    I haven't been playing much lately because of work, but I'm playing GOTM 23.

5. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

If by "Strategic Review" you mean planning ahead, (and I am pretty sure that is what you mean because I read your logs and you tend to lay out plans right at the beginning in -4000) I am with you. But as far as producing a snapshot there is usually very little to say in -3000. Sometimes I do one at -2000. You do have a point though; we do need at least one snapshot before year +1.

You are correct about repetetiveness. But I rather have that for the sake of completeness. It is easy to copy & paste it; certainly easier than scrolling back for the info. Your point about the embassy is right on. When I do not have an embassy, I simply say so.

Yes, I do. I know of no other way. It does not take very long. This piece of info is my latest addition to the snapshot. I added it because I felt it has great importance.

8 domestic routes (with one of my cities, this number will always be even), 7 foreign routes.

Good point. In my version the information is tab delimited but periods or semicolons work better.

6. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

I will try to use your format for GOTM 24, Ali. Let's see how it works! :)