1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap UK General Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Samson, Apr 18, 2017.

1. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

She's a Tory. 'Nuff said.

2. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

It could be worse - you could be a childless, liberal, Remainer from a Remain constituency with a Tory MP. Those people really have no say.

3. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

It get worse, local Labour party members to have no input.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39658426

4. really

really Chieftain

I've seen two ads for two different banks in the last two days marketing mortgages backed by the applicants parents savings or own home. Your economy is heading for a bust in the near future in my opinion.

5. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The aim for them is presumably consolidation. They won a close plurality of the popular vote at 49.7%, but a lot of that was concentrated in their traditional East-coast stomping grounds, and, outside of Clydeside, a lot of their new seats were won on less-than-ironclad pluralities. Also, a couple of SNP MPs went independent since 2015, both amid reports of shady financial dealing and both of whom were initially elected on a basis of party rather than personality, so imagine they'll be hoping to regain those.

My expectation is that the SNP will probably come out a few seats weaker, as the Yoon vote consolidates against their weaker pluralities, but also that they come out stronger in the end, cementing their status as an election-winning party and not just, as some would prefer to believe, a mere protest vote. Unlike every other party, they've hit the post-Brexit ground running, and even if the goal has been a second referendum rather than an election, they still have a coherence of purpose and identity that no other party can claim, at least not in Scotland

6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Chieftain

Or you could be one of "Our Friends in The North", with Thatcher 2.0 in power.
    Alexei Sayle has only recently stopped kicking version 1.0 around. Time for a reboot? (sorry).

Kyriakos likes this.
  7. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Yes, I agree a crash is coming. Not that this has much to do with Brexit. (The Impact of Brexit being the devaluation slowed the decline
    of UK manufacturing while the panic dropping of the Bank of England bank rate maintained asset price inflation encouraging such mortgages).

I think Phil Hammond sees this too, favours an early general election so he can walk away from the contradictory 2015 conservative manifesto.

And for a re-elected Theresa May, strong government may include tax rises and abandoning the unaffordable triple lock for the state pensions.

8. Arakhor

Strong government? At this point, I'd like to see any government at all.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

They also tried to have a go at Nicola Sturgeon but as she had a miscarriage a few years ago that one's even harder to sustain.

This is the Conservative Party whose rags tried to turn a meeting between the aforementioned two Ministers as not a sit-up but a legs-up.
    Given that the one, lone study that tried to predict any sort of positive economic results for Brexit has been debunked, if the UK is already on the downturn before exiting the EU and the common market, then brace yourselves.

10. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I refer you to:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-she-would-make-better-pm-as-she-has-children

It seem that this killed Andrea Leadom's long shot bid to become conservative party leader.

But of course, being a bloke I suspect that I don't understand such girlie speak.

11. Silurian

Silurian Chieftain

And the Conservatives from your link

There is not enough time to have a selection process due to Tory actions.

12. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

It's this "I'm more of a woman than you are because I have children and you don't", attitude that translates to "I'm better than you because I have children."

It's incredibly obnoxious, and an attempt to shame someone for something they've either chosen, or can't have for medical or other reasons.

Someone once asked me if I feel like I'm "not all woman" because of my situation. People like that can go to hell.

Kyriakos likes this.
  13. Arakhor

Anyone would think that this was a hastily-decided and barely thought-out idea, simply to capitalise on a couple of polls. The difference between polls and reality hasn't been noticeably at odds at any time since 2015, of course.

14. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I don't think Theresa May succeeded because she acted like Thatcher. On the contrary: she succeeded because she didn't act like Thatcher. She was a caricature of the quiet, hard-working administrator, who sat for 6 years in the Home Office just doing that one job, while other more "high profile" politicians did all the glossy, headline-grabbing stuff. During the referendum, she was one of the most "on the fence" Remainers, who really didn't take part much in the campaign, and generally kept her mouth shut. Then, after the referendum, she once again swayed with the wind and won the Conservative leadership contest because she was the least divisive of all candidates, and most likely to unify the party around her due to her blandness.

Once in power, she became tougher on her allies and opponents, publicly reprimanding Hammond (over breaking a manifesto pledge in his budget and upsetting newspapers), and Boris (for several acts of supreme idiocy as foreign secretary). But her grand strategy is still that of a fence-sitter, swaying in the wind, saying one thing then doing another as it suits her. She is in many ways Thatcher's opposite: a lady who is very much for turning, whichever way the political winds blow. Witness the number of U-turns the government has made, or, 10 months after the referendum, the total lack of any plan or position statement for what Brexit will actually look like. She's not someone who has strong beliefs and ideals and will follow them whatever the political cost. She's guided not by principle, but by instinct.

Unfortunately it looks like her instincts are every bit as bad as were Thatcher's principles.

15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Very true, but I was merely updating my previous post about the Labour party.

Well now, according to wikipedia, they have until.

which I think is plenty of time for each local party to convene its membership for an extra ordinary meeting and take a vote.

The thing is I think that neither the conservative nor labour national party leaderships want their memberships to have any
    real say in selecting their candidates, which follows on from my post about the nationalisation of those two political parties.

Well some people have noticed that the pollsters got it wrong for the UK general election
    in 2015, the referendum on the EU in 2016 and the USA presidential election in 2016.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

So May isn't like Thatcher, but like Blair.

Samson likes this.
  17. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Both offspring of a vicar.

18. Kyriakos

19. Arakhor

Yes. That was the point of my comment.

20. Kyriakos

Not very related, but looking at wiki for the Blair issue, i came across this gem:

Lolwut? There wasn't any "threat of a ground offensive", cause it would result in huge losses of life for nato soldiers, which is why the bombing campaign went on for an unprecedented 3 months and with no end in sight. Given this glaring lie exists on an article about a known politician, nomatter how fitting ( ;) ) it is a bit of a nasty discovery, imo. Wiki for politics is not to be trusted :/