Snap UK General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Leadsom has much of a chance to win an election either. I know that the late Portillo ( ;) ) claimed that supposedly Ruth Davidson would be a good leader for the cons. Is she even an elected MP? :)

I think that - in the future, not now- a reasonable choice for the tories as leader would be that Mogg person. I mean he is obviously a posh mp, yet not entirely a clown like the Gove-Boris-Fallon human centipede.

Ruth Davidson is an MSP, not not an MP.

Are you joking about Jacob Rees-Mogg? He's even more of a clown than Boris, but Boris has the decency to be occasionally photogenic.

Rees-Mogg at least seems capable of stringing together three consistent sentences in a row. Although that might be a bad things in some political circles.

It's coherent enough, if he hasn't dived into another frankly incomprehensive aside about Cicero or hasn't randomly dropped into Latin, because he either doesn't care or can't comprehend that people can't understand him.

He'd be a genuine member of the "liberal" ivory tower elite that the right-wing press love to sneer at, if of course he wasn't actually a fervent reactionary.

It's coherent enough, if he hasn't dived into another frankly incomprehensive aside about Cicero or hasn't randomly dropped into Latin, because he either doesn't care or can't comprehend that people can't understand him.

He'd be a genuine member of the "liberal" ivory tower elite that the right-wing press love to sneer at, if of course he wasn't actually a fervent reactionary.

He just looks far more old-schooly posh-tory than Boris, who tbh looks like a inbred :)

I doubt Boris is a good parliamentarian either. That said, little good did being parliamentarian do to Hague (yet Bremner was doing an awesome impression of his manner of drawing out vowels :lol: ).

I remember Hague as a Young Conservative when he was ~16.

He was fairly appalling even then.

They do say, though, that he makes good money (£1 million a year, iirc) as an after-dinner speaker, these days.

So, the odd dozen apartment buildings or two fail health and safety standards (i.e. an idiot with a well-placed firework or two might set an entire building on fire) but we are not seeing that many council members, board members or MPs owning up to anything or resigning.

But then this is the country where denouncing human rights is a safe electoral strategy, so it shouldn't amaze, but rather embarass, anybody involved.

Any hot takes on Andrea Leadsom and her 'patriotic media' comments?
‘Fail Führer’.

Is she with Britain First?

It's possible that the most damning criticism you can make of the Tories is that they don't even make good fascists. Any conservative party worth its salt should be prepared to veer hard right at the sniff of a red flag, but these muppets can't even manage that without coming across as forced, robotic and lizard-person-wearing-a-latex-mask degrees of awkward.

Call it a testament to the strength of Britain's democratic institutions, but I'm more personally more inclined to chalk it up to in-breeding.

That has to be the cleanest Glastonbury in years. :)

It's possible that the most damning criticism you can make of the Tories is that they don't even make good fascists.
Eh, they do believe in the power of corporations.

It's possible that the most damning criticism you can make of the Tories is that they don't even make good fascists. Any conservative party worth its salt should be prepared to veer hard right at the sniff of a red flag, but these muppets can't even manage that without coming across as forced, robotic and lizard-person-wearing-a-latex-mask degrees of awkward.

Call it a testament to the strength of Britain's democratic institutions, but I'm more personally more inclined to chalk it up to in-breeding.

In so much as after eating chicken for six days, one might become bored with it and switch to fish and chips.

I rather think that the UK electorate is bored with incompetent fascism and may try incompetent communism for a change.

Describing every party half an inch from dead center as either fascist or communist really rubs me in a wrong way.

This is either for real or it's a very elaborate spoof. I'm not sure which is more alarming.

Describing every party half an inch from dead center as either fascist or communist really rubs me in a wrong way.
In this case, my use of "fascism" was rhetorical. It's common sense that fascism is a bad thing, and it's also common sense that if job's worth doing it's worth doing right, so my suggestion was that the Tories enthusiasm to make a convincing turn to the hard right was not through restraint or principle, but through a simple lack of talent, was an exaggerated way of suggesting that they're not simply evil, but actively incompetent to govern.

This is either for real or it's a very elaborate spoof. I'm not sure which is more alarming.

The calendar itself is probably real. After all, they're asking £9 for it. And no-one ever jokes about money.

But you can get calendars about practically anything.
Spoiler :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom