[GS] Sneak Peak 18-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that I'll like it, but I have the feeling they have an ability something in the vicinity of the new mountain tunnels, where they can move in mountains and come out wherever.
That sounds a bit ridiculous. It's not like the Inca were famous for tunneling through mountains.

Edit: That could be a Swiss UA for the next expansion :lol:

That sounds a bit ridiculous. It's not like the Inca were famous for tunneling through mountains.

Edit: That could be a Swiss UA for the next expansion :lol:
Moving through mountains and tunneling through mountains (in game terms) is basically a graphical difference only.

What i am really looking forward is to make civilian units able to move on mountain tiles. They have already hinter on different game mechanics when showing Maori, and we have the tunnels improvements. Guess we will finally be able to get those goody huts on a hill inside a cluster of mountains - and yes i did got some of those in multiple gameplays.

What i am really looking forward is to make civilian units able to move on mountain tiles. They have already hinter on different game mechanics when showing Maori, and we have the tunnels improvements. Guess we will finally be able to get those goody huts on a hill inside a cluster of mountains - and yes i did got some of those in multiple gameplays.

I finally got the legendary six-tile-adjacency campus district in my last game. I was kind of worried that a GS would spawn there and not be one I could just use right on the tile.

If they are deciding that we can improve mountain tiles with tunnels and supposedly ski resorts it nakes sense that they would give the Inca the ability to build thier unique improvement, a terrace farm, on the side of a mountain out of all the other Civs.

We have now seen the tooltip for tunnels and they are built on adjacent mountain tiles. So the ME doesn't move onto the mountain to place it. There is now no longer an indication that this is possible.

It also seemed to indicate that tunnels act as a teleport, ala airlifts, from one entrance to another.

They could have an Andean Road CUA. Allows them to traverse mountain tiles in a similar manner to a mountain tunnel, but before mountain tunnels become available (and without the mountain tunnel graphic). In addition, perhaps they could work mountain tiles to symbolize the commerce or whatever else might flow along such roads.

It also seemed to indicate that tunnels act as a teleport, ala airlifts, from one entrance to another.

Yes, they say it will work that way. It is just that one neat game mechanic like that could make the Inca look more interesting if we get a better mountain crossing or something. I would probably make settlers able to settle cities on mountain tiles adjacent to one passable tile - that way you wouldn't be able to found a city on a locked position for other civs - and we could also have the same mechanic for districts. My only concern is to make enemies able to access the cities and the districts, so the positioning close to one passable tile - multiple districts close to each other works as passable tiles.

This is making me wonder if a mountain tunnel counts as an "unimproved" tile for national parks.

Yes, they say it will work that way. It is just that one neat game mechanic like that could make the Inca look more interesting if we get a better mountain crossing or something. I would probably make settlers able to settle cities on mountain tiles adjacent to one passable tile - that way you wouldn't be able to found a city on a locked position for other civs - and we could also have the same mechanic for districts. My only concern is to make enemies able to access the cities and the districts, so the positioning close to one passable tile - multiple districts close to each other works as passable tiles.

That is why I think they skipped the whole "units moving/settling on mountains business". It's dreadfully imbalanced in combat. And the Civ V Carthage way of balancing it by having damage each turn while on a mountain was a bit heavy-handed.

I'm optimistic this teleport thing will work out quite nicely.

Reactions: cvb
We have now seen the tooltip for tunnels and they are built on adjacent mountain tiles. So the ME doesn't move onto the mountain to place it. There is now no longer an indication that this is possible.

It's also possible that the hypothetical new UI Terrace Farm can be "built on adjacent mountain tiles" similar to how we expect tunnels to be implemented - and the stream will show off various things that can be built on adjacent mountain tiles.

With a surprise visit from the Ski Resort!

That is why I think they skipped the whole "units moving/settling on mountains business". It's dreadfully imbalanced in combat. And the Civ V Carthage way of balancing it by having damage each turn while on a mountain was a bit heavy-handed.

I'm optimistic this teleport thing will work out quite nicely.

Yes, I agree. But it's not impossible to add special conditions for cities and district placements. Egypt for example can build districts on Floodplains (vanilla and R&F). It is not something they couldn't make. Adjacent to passable terrain for Incan cities and districts is one condition the game mechanics can accept without making it imbalanced in combat.

Think the Inca UU will be a Slinger replacement?
That would be thematic. That would also be almost as disappointing as Tamar's walls unless they make it so ridiculously powerful you have no reason to upgrade to Archers. :p I think a bolas-throwing Skirmisher as others have suggested might be a better option. (They suggested slings, but I think bolas would be better.)

you have no reason to upgrade to Archers

Not a bad idea. Would allow you to skip that tech. Though currently it's a prereq for Horseback riding which is pretty important. Wasn't it a leaf tech in vanilla?

I can Imagine the Inca ability will involve a free tech/civic (pottery?), but their traders don't create roads along the path.

their traders don't create roads along the path.
That would be disappointing since Inca roads were kind of a big deal. :p I mean, sure, they were footpaths, but a footpath through the Andes is still impressive. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom