[R&F] Sneak Peak 24/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather and all of his ancestors were from Newquay in Cornwall. It seemed more appropriate to play as the Celts rather than England because the Celts would have Cornish towns. I haven't played as England in Civ VI so maybe the Cornish towns are there, but Victoria is annoying and the English abilities are bland...

So I'll miss the Celts.

Edit: No Cornish cities in England's list, closest is Plymouth in Devon

I think it was only in Civ5 that Cornish cities started really appearing on the Celtic city-list. Though according to this map, Tintagel was on the Celtic city-list in Civ2.
Some people seemed to think the Celtic City-list in Civ5 was a mess. It was alternating between Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, and Manx cities. Previous games used ancient settlements in mainly Gaul and Britannia. Part of the criticism of the Celtic blob in Civ5 was that it couldn't decide which to focus on, classical Gaulish/Briton Celts vs. Medieval/Modern Celtic nations....

I think it was only in Civ5 that Cornish cities started really appearing on the Celtic city-list. Though according to this map, Tintagel was on the Celtic city-list in Civ2.
Some people seemed to think the Celtic City-list in Civ5 was a mess. It was alternating between Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, and Manx cities. Previous games used ancient settlements in mainly Gaul and Britannia. Part of the criticism of the Celtic blob in Civ5 was that it couldn't decide which to focus on, classical Gaulish/Briton Celts vs. Medieval/Modern Celtic nations....
It's a valid criticism... still, I felt more represented by the blob than I would have ever felt by Medieval Scotland or the Gauls.

Both of which are much more deserving than tiny Cornwall of being represented but I will miss the reference just the same. I wish they'd add a Cornish city to the English list though if they're going to end the blob... but none of the Cornish cities are probably even important enough for the bottom of the list :shake:

Plot twist: Sean Bean voices Robert the Bruce in his Yorkshire accent, since that's geographically close to Scotland...

*runs and hides before the pitchforks come out*
Thanks. Now I imagine Sean Bean in kilt declaring war on me :p

I want Bill Connolly to voice Robert the Bruce! :D
He played Merida's dad in Pixar's Brave...Also played Dain Ironfoot in the last Hobbit movie...

These really aren't that hard to figure out when we already know it's going to be 1 of 3 known options. :) Anyway, I look forward to seeing the First Look for King Firstname the Lastname the First tomorrow. I am curious about Scotland's abilities. The leader might have a military focus, but I'm hoping there's a lot more to the civ itself. Something related to hills or mountains?

There is the language issue for the Gaulish and classical Britons. According to Zaarin, we have enough documentation of Gaulish, but he didn't like that Boudicca spoke modern Welsh in Civ5. The Brittonnic language has even less attestation than Gaulish. I suppose Firaxis could hire a linguist to write in reconstructed Brittonnic (based on it's descendants--Welsh, Cornish, Breton)

Everyone hated Boudicca speaking Welsh. But no one seemed to mind modern Irish Gaelic for the Civ IV units, so that might be an option.

Also the unique unit tends to have a generic name. Pictish Warrior. Gallic Warrior. Gallic Swordsman...Do we even know what the Gauls/Britons called their warriors?

Probably not, but we may have Roman names for them. Again, for whatever reason people seem to take more umbrage at Civ V's fictitious "Pictish Warrior" than the equally fictitious "Gallic Warrior/Swordsmen" of earlier games. But then they have the same issue with lots of the older or less well-known civs' units, and either use generic names (War Cart), or just use a name from the region's modern language ('Domrey' is just the modern Khmer for 'Elephant', for instance, and I believe the same may be true for the Indian Varu). 'Saka Horse Archer' is a name in the same vein as 'Pictish/Gallic Warrior' - 'Saka' is just the Persian name for the Scythians, so the name is just "Scythian Horse Archer".

Wikipedia offers a possible option for an infantry unit - ambaxtoi, essentially a Gaulish chieftain's bodyguard.

Everyone hated Boudicca speaking Welsh. But no one seemed to mind modern Irish Gaelic for the Civ IV units, so that might be an option.

Probably not, but we may have Roman names for them. Again, for whatever reason people seem to take more umbrage at Civ V's fictitious "Pictish Warrior" than the equally fictitious "Gallic Warrior/Swordsmen" of earlier games. But then they have the same issue with lots of the older or less well-known civs' units, and either use generic names (War Cart), or just use a name from the region's modern language ('Domrey' is just the modern Khmer for 'Elephant', for instance, and I believe the same may be true for the Indian Varu). 'Saka Horse Archer' is a name in the same vein as 'Pictish/Gallic Warrior' - 'Saka' is just the Persian name for the Scythians, so the name is just "Scythian Horse Archer".

I must be one of the few who was ok with Boudicca speaking Welsh....:(

Possibly it was especially grating for me, as a Brit, since I'm familiar with the Welsh accent and the broad sound of the language. There's a definite sense of dissonance with a Welsh warrior queen. Cornish or Breton would likeky have been better simply because they're less recognisable.

I just hope Robert speaks either Gaelic or Scots. We really don't need yet another English-speaking leader.
Most likely he'll speak Scottish Gaelic. Differentiating whether a line is in Scots or Scottish English would depend on the choice of words.

I didn't think Welsh was particularly egregious either but it wasn't ideal. Brittonic (or even Proto-Celtic) is a big ask but Old Welsh could probably have been done. Her weird design juxtaposed with the voice actress was the more grating aspect to me.

Possibly it was especially grating for me, as a Brit, since I'm familiar with the Welsh accent and the broad sound of the language. There's a definite sense of dissonance with a Welsh warrior queen. Cornish or Breton would likeky have been better simply because they're less recognisable.

Modern Breton sounds heavily influenced by French (at least in the "accent") based on what I've heard. Cornish was extinct at one point if I remember correctly before a language revival. I think whoever Firaxis hired to do the dialogue for Boudicca chose Welsh over Cornish and Breton because it's more widely spoken (thus easier to find linguists who can write dialogue). They definitely could've made the Welsh more archaic sounding.

Should have a Manx speaking leader. That would be an acceptable compromise. ;)

How cool would it be to have their unique unit as William Wallace? A strong melee unit that acts as a great general to surrounding units and weakens enemy units (like the Maori of civ 5) but with the stipulation that you can only have one at a time.

Should have a Manx speaking leader. That would be an acceptable compromise. ;)

Manx would be an even more inaccurate language choice for Boudicca than Welsh! :lol:
Since, it's Goidelic (related to Scottish Gaelic and Irish) instead of Brittonic.

I do remember the Isle of Man (led by Illiam Dhone) mod for Civ5, by ryanjames. :D

I just hope Robert speaks either Gaelic or Scots. We really don't need yet another English-speaking leader.
I reckon he might speak more than one language, like Catherine and Gandhi. Hopefully one will be Scots or Gaelic.

Most likely he'll speak Scottish Gaelic. Differentiating whether a line is in Scots or Scottish English would depend on the choice of words.

I didn't think Welsh was particularly egregious either but it wasn't ideal. Brittonic (or even Proto-Celtic) is a big ask but Old Welsh could probably have been done. Her weird design juxtaposed with the voice actress was the more grating aspect to me.

He didn't speak gaelic tho. Bruce was a lowlander. He spoke old english. Gaelic is the language of the islanders and western and north highlands. All the rest of scotland spoke english. Esp the sassanachs (that being all lowlands, scots as well as english.)

Ok to edit this, seems he probably spoke irish gaelic, which is slightly different to pictish gaelic of alba. Alba being everything north of the clyde valley. Bruce was from galloway in ayeshire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom