[R&F] Sneak Peak 24/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
The highlander UU would be cool. Shame you could only ever have one of them though
A truly unique unit!

So if we know Scotland is getting an improvement, what could that be?

I could see them getting the Dun. Can be built on hills, some sort of defensive bonus. Maybe it could impart a combat bonus to adjacent tiles for Scottish units.

Or the Crannog? Could be similar to the Kampung, but built only on lake tiles. Seems that would be pretty weak due to the relative scarcity of lakes.
I think it'll be a broch. Defence bonus, maybe loyalty too? Hard to say for sure as archaeologists are still not sure what they were for. But they are very Scottish.

I simply hope the Scottish music theme makes bagpipes sounds a little less annoying.
"It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll" by ACDC is one of my favourite bagpipe melodies.

I think it'll be a broch. Defence bonus, maybe loyalty too? Hard to say for sure as archaeologists are still not sure what they were for. But they are very Scottish.

They predate Scotland by at least 600 years and are only found on the margins of the modern country. And we don't know what they were for.

They predate Scotland by at least 600 years and are only found on the margins of the modern country. And we don't know what they were for.
True, but they would be a nice nod to the Celtic past of the nation, and there's an undeniable association with that part of the world regardless of what it was called at the time. I don't think every part of a Civ's uniques need to be from the same period. It's not the only option for a unique Improvement but it was the first one I thought of. A dun could also be good, though. I do hope there is something prehistoric in there somewhere.

True, but they would be a nice nod to the Celtic past of the nation, and there's an undeniable association with that part of the world regardless of what it was called at the time. I don't think every part of a Civ's uniques need to be from the same period. It's not the only option for a unique Improvement but it was the first one I thought of. A dun could also be good, though. I do hope there is something prehistoric in there somewhere.

For people who wish for ancient Celts / Gauls to appear at some point in the game, that would be disappointing.

So UI "Broch": Gives 3 of a random yield or a +3 defense bonus. Can only be built at the border of your land (like great wall).

I'd like to see improvements or cultural reflections of our people and not the warlike side. Pictish warriors, highlander infantry etc and instead maybe something for cultural district like highland games or unique land improvements. I was thinking maybe get pict warriors, which are immune to being flanked for example maybe get a bonus to inital combat when first attacking to reflect ambushing and gorrilla tactics. I don't like the idea of highlander infantry, because those were really just cannon fodder to be used by leaders to fights in someone elses wars. They were a literal waste of scottish manpower.

Reducing combat strength of nearby enemy units :)
Yes, that would be interesting. In Civ4 India had unique Worker, so everything's possible.
Maybe like the indian vanu, but without the combat side. This would be really cool actually, a little solo bagpiper, like a sort of medic support unit, that you haul around with you attached to a soldier, like you would builders, engineers, medics etc.

Last edited:
A truly unique unit!

A Brooch is a sign of rank usually, romans and vikings used them alot, to indicate they were freemen and not slaves and to indicate their rank as freemen. So maybe it is just a sign of freedom. Broaching has different meanings tho, broaching a new subject, cutting materials at an angle, coming to a dead stop in sailing and attacking in multiple ways. :) ie as a tactic in combat. It can also mean breaking through, broaching a wall. (breeching)

But it sounds like you ment Brooch, ie the object that either hangs around your neck like a neckless or is pinned to your shirt as a decoration. I think they were originally signs of freedom. ie of not being slaves.

""Fibulae were shaped somewhat like a large safety pin and were used to hold clothing together. They came in many varieties and held prominent significance for the identity of the wearer, indicating ethnicity (until local costume became Romanized) and class. Elaborately designed fibulae were an important part of Late Antique dress, and simpler ones were part of Roman military equipment.""

So whilst we do use them, they aren't a scottish only thing, but have been used by people all over europe/arabia for thousands of years. Probably by anyone who wore clothing really and didn't use a rope as a belt.

Last edited:
You get the unique Great General, William Wallace at the start of the game. He boosts loyalty to all cities within 6 tiles of him but is instantly killed by an enemy English unit.

A Brooch is a sign of rank usually, romans and vikings used them alot, to indicate they were freemen and not slaves and to indicate their rank as freemen. So maybe it is just a sign of freedom. Broaching has different meanings tho, broaching a new subject, cutting materials at an angle, coming to a dead stop in sailing and attacking in multiple ways. :) ie as a tactic in combat. It can also mean breaking through, broaching a wall. (breeching)

But it sounds like you ment Brooch, ie the object that either hangs around your neck like a neckless or is pinned to your shirt as a decoration. I think they were originally signs of freedom. ie of not being slaves.

""Fibulae were shaped somewhat like a large safety pin and were used to hold clothing together. They came in many varieties and held prominent significance for the identity of the wearer, indicating ethnicity (until local costume became Romanized) and class. Elaborately designed fibulae were an important part of Late Antique dress, and simpler ones were part of Roman military equipment.""

So whilst we do use them, they aren't a scottish only thing, but have been used by people all over europe/arabia for thousands of years. Probably by anyone who wore clothing really and didn't use a rope as a belt.
Broch

Nope, I meant these: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broch

I mean maybe Robert will be wearing a brooch but it's hard to imagine one as a tile improvement :lol:

I am excited for Scotland day. Hope it will be some creative and interesting bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom