[R&F] Sneak Peak 30/01

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far we've had science civs (Korea and Scotland), warriors (Mongols and Zulus), religious (Georgia), traders (Cree, Netherlands), we're lacking on the cultural front - I know my classification of civs could be discussed for lenghts but you get the idea.

The Chemamull has to be an UI, generating culture and faith - maybe more when the civ is at war ?
Mapuche resisted conquest and cultural assimilation, perhaps something like double culture and loyalty, or a combat bonus, when attacked ?

I mean realistically graves/burials probably should provide Faith and Culture. Food from grave sites is rather... morbid. I could see some ways to get Gold or Science from them, but it’d be pretty civ-specific.
No definitely not food or gold, that will be the Inca's thing when they're inevitably added sometime in the future. Mapuche will have to stand out from the Inca, so culture and/or loyalty seem like viable angles. Maybe an Emergency bonus?

Are there any alternatives for the Chemamull w/r/t the Mapuche UI? We haven't had a faith UI so far

So far we've had science civs (Korea and Scotland), warriors (Mongols and Zulus), religious (Georgia), traders (Cree, Netherlands), we're lacking on the cultural front - I know my classification of civs could be discussed for lenghts but you get the idea.

The Chemamull has to be an UI, generating culture and faith - maybe more when the civ is at war ?
Mapuche resisted conquest and cultural assimilation, perhaps something like double culture and loyalty, or a combat bonus, when attacked ?
Netherlands are pretty cultural with the Theater adjacency and foreign trade route culture.

I suppose building human replicas is pretty common, but the first time I saw the Chemamull it did remind me of the Easter Island heads in shape and even with the "hats" that some of them have. There's a lot of ocean between Rapa Nui and Chile, but I wonder if there was any sort of contact??

I suppose building human replicas is pretty common, but the first time I saw the Chemamull it did remind me of the Easter Island heads in shape and even with the "hats" that some of them have. There's a lot of ocean between Rapa Nui and Chile, but I wonder if there was any sort of contact??

If Civ V taught me anything, it's that Polynesians discovered the entire world before discovering ironworking.

If Civ V taught me anything, it's that Polynesians discovered the entire world before discovering ironworking.

It might not be far off :D

Apparently there is some evidence that there may have been some contact between the Rapa Nui and Mapuche populations: http://www.academia.edu/1516987/2010_The_Polynesian-Mapuche_connection._Rapa_Nui_Journal

Of course, it was the polynesians that are suspected to have made contact due to the ocean currents (and being stuck on a tiny island)

There is some debatable evidence of occasional exchange between Polynesians and South American cultures, IIRC.

Polynesian cultivated sweet potatoes so there was surely some kind of contact between them and South American people.

G

Go look up Kon-Tiki expedition
I knew of it but for some reason it didn't really click in my head that the Inca and Mapuche would be the logical recipients of any sailors to the west coast of South America until I saw the statues. Might be time for a revisit to that story with a new pair of eyes though

Upon revision: They also suspected the connection via the Maoi and South American statues. I'm 80 years too late dang it!

Finally more representation for South America! This was desperately needed, while I would've been happy to see the Inca, having the Mapuche is a great addition too.

I thought the same thing. I've seen moai before, of course, but I'd never seen chemamull. The particular style for each seems very similar.

Go look up Kon-Tiki expedition

After seeing chemamull, it wouldn't shock me at all to learn that there was contact, perhaps even colonization one way or the other.

I'm very pleased. Part of it is that it's nice to have more than one indigenous civ in South America, but mostly it's because I would have been direly disappointed with a Sapa Inca who wasn't just dripping in gold. :D

There is some debatable evidence of occasional exchange between Polynesians and South American cultures, IIRC.
Possibly between the Haida and Kamchatka, too, but the evidence there is more scanty.

I put this in some other thread a while ago but it needs to be repetead - mapuche ROCK in combat!

"By the 1560s the Mapuche began to use camouflaged pits and trenches, captured artillery and firearms. By 1570 they had learned the use of infantry formations, similar to the Spanish Tercio, that allowed them to defeat Spanish cavalry in the open field. By 1580 the Mapuche began to have cavalry of their own, that soon were capable of defeating the Spanish cavalry. After 1600, they mounted their infantry on horses for greater mobility and developed the tactic of the malón. By the 1620s it was usual practice in battle for two thirds of their force to fight mounted as lancers on the wings with foot in the center, similar to the Spanish custom. When retreating from a malón the Mapuche would often tempt their pursuers into a narrow defile where their main body would confront them. If the pursuers fell on this body ambush detachments would fall on their flanks. All these advances proved effective in holding off the Spaniards and Chileans for 350 years."

I'm very pleased. Part of it is that it's nice to have more than one indigenous civ in South America, but mostly it's because I would have been direly disappointed with a Sapa Inca who wasn't just dripping in gold. :D

Possibly between the Haida and Kamchatka, too, but the evidence there is more scanty.
Same! I love the Inca in Civ games but I was strongly rooting against those who proposed the headbanded leader was Inca because I like my Incas to be awash in luxury and splendor thank you very much :p

I put this in some other thread a while ago but it needs to be repetead - mapuche ROCK in combat!

"By the 1560s the Mapuche began to use camouflaged pits and trenches, captured artillery and firearms. By 1570 they had learned the use of infantry formations, similar to the Spanish Tercio, that allowed them to defeat Spanish cavalry in the open field. By 1580 the Mapuche began to have cavalry of their own, that soon were capable of defeating the Spanish cavalry. After 1600, they mounted their infantry on horses for greater mobility and developed the tactic of the malón. By the 1620s it was usual practice in battle for two thirds of their force to fight mounted as lancers on the wings with foot in the center, similar to the Spanish custom. When retreating from a malón the Mapuche would often tempt their pursuers into a narrow defile where their main body would confront them. If the pursuers fell on this body ambush detachments would fall on their flanks. All these advances proved effective in holding off the Spaniards and Chileans for 350 years."

Man, the Mapuche didn't mess around. It sounds like an indigenous civ could actually have a legitimate Pike and Shot replacement, which I wasn't expecting.

I'm excited to see how they might translate some of that prowess into an ability. Please no +strength and +speed for x turns after a DOW.

Well, I didn't know that! That's why I like history - it's very interesting to learn :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom