1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneaky tactics during Peace

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by KingSponge, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingSponge

KingSponge Chieftain

This is one of those "gray areas" for me. Got any sneaky tactics that can be used during PEACE, *without* causing an international incident?

Here's one I just read about:

- you CAN pillage a rival's roads to cut them off from a resource so long as the road is not within their borders.

Any others you'd like to share? Remember, this for peace-time tactics.

P.S. I'm curious whether non-military units in a rival's borders cause a lot of concern. For instance, if I send a worker to build a road to a rival's capitol if he'd have the chance to finish it before causing an incident... ??

2. ironfang

ironfang Chieftain

If your carefull enough, you can hijack those roads by placing cities along them.

3. Faboba

Faboba Chieftain

But surely the only reason they would build roads outside their territory except to trade with other civs would be to link to colonies. If you build a city on that road you still won't get the resource because their colony will be still be sitting on top of it.

Question though as I've not got the game: Do you assimilate enemy colonies when your borders expand as you do your own?

4. KingSponge

KingSponge Chieftain

Yes. I had a colony on an iron resource that got assimilated by a rival who plopped a city down nearby. They "kindly" asked me to remove myself from "their" territory!! *grumbles*

5. miradus

miradus Chieftain

In my latest game I tried being friendly to my neighbors and gave them rights of passage. The dang Zulus (way overfriendly) sent a horde of workers into my turf and put roads everywhere. Either they're being very helpful or they're planning for an invasion. Considering they don't have any resources but wine and I'm supplying them with iron, horses, and the appropriate techs to make use of those resources. Like I said, I'm being friendly.

Anyway, along with the workers they're also sending in special units and regular units aplenty. I haven't so much as SEEN a barbarian in 100 turns due to all the Zulu peacekeepers lurking within my borders. Of course the payback on this is that I get to watch them for 60 seconds every turn move all around. Bleh.

So my question then ... do those forces prevent me from using resources when they move into a city's resource grid? With the right of passage in place, I'd hope not, but I can't find it in the manual.

6. Grendel

Grendel Sacker of Peaceful Cities

Having workers in your opponent's territory *does* cause them to get mad. Gandhi had some harsh words to say about my military force "massing" near one of his cities -- I was really confused until I saw the two workers en route through his territory. :rolleyes:

7. Diety

Diety Chieftain

lol Ghandi complaining about workers...

I think that workers and settlers shouldn't count for that rule...

8. Jezner

Jezner Chieftain

I was playing as the Greeks for awhile and living a rather peaceful life with my neighbors. I had great placement, taking up most of the space on the continent.

So both my neighbors asked for a rite of passage pact. I was like - sure. No problem. We're friends. You can cross my soil.

And they did - en masse. To populate sections of the map which I had no yet explored. Finally, when the egyptians worked their way around me, they called off the rite of passage because they didn't need me anymore. Meanwhile, the babs had teams of settlers moving through my land.

When a settler dislodged one of my dye colonies and effectively claimed it as its own, I put my foot my down.

Needless to say, my northern lands are no longer populated and I am fighting three different fronts.

I think the moral is this game - like life - boils down to politics. My rec, avoid the rite of passage unless it absolutely serves your interests. And prepare for those bastards to expand into your empire at all costs.

Now does anybody know how to void a rite of passage pact without going to war? Or is there a screen which tells you how many turns are left in the treaties?

9. KingSponge

KingSponge Chieftain

I don't you can break the treaty w/out causing trouble. Best just to wait for it to end and then don't renew.

I don't know about being able to see the number of turns left in a treaty but the first place I'd look is with the Foreign Advisor screen (F4).

10. mote

mote Chieftain

re: ghandi complaining about workers and the zulu worker invasion...

I'm currently inbetween two small chinese cities. They keep sending workers (and galleys) between each other.

When I complain, they say "yeah yeah, we'll be leaving shortly."

I've noticed it does not disrupt my resource collection and the manual suggests this may tick them off so I suggest just stop complaining.

It's what I did... (You can't nab the worker, it'll start a war :p They're being oftly trusting considering I did 2 sneak attacks against our mutual neighbor.)

11. miradus

miradus Chieftain

I wish there was a fear factor involved. After you've wiped out two rival nations who annoyed you the others should be a little more cautious. I have learned one thing ... the AI doesn't do anything for the fun of it. I watched a bunch of musketmen get lined up on my border last night and I thought 'that's odd'. After about 10 turns they moved in and took half my empire. All those troop buildups should be taken as a warning.

12. Red October

Red October The Sneaky Russian

To see the number of turns left in your treaty, talk to the civ in question and click on "Propose a treaty". Then, on the bottom, click "active". There should be a number in parenthesis. Thats the number of turns left.

13. Red October

Red October The Sneaky Russian

When the turn comes up when the treaty expires, just click on the treaty in the active treaties window to get rid of it. I had to do this with the Egyptians in my game. They had about 10 or so workers farting around in my territory.......

I eventually destroyed the Egyptians..... ;)

14. Wuf

Wuf Chieftain

Trick with weaker civs: invade territory. offer right of passage. wait. wait. amass units. attack!!!

15. Avenger

Avenger Chieftain

In my first game the Aztecs kept declaring war on me! I reloaded old savegames and every time, on the same turn, they would declare war. I found a rather sneaky solution. I gave them free passage through my country. This may seem like a strange move on my part, but with the free move agreement they didn't declare war. They didn't want to take the reputation hit. I kept granting them free move through my country until I was ready for war. >snicker<

--Avenger

16. WUM

WUM the Magnificent

I guess the result of a rights of passage-contract is that AI sees your territory as it´s own, considering movement. Because of this units actually can use your territory.

However, automated workers do the same... thus running in a city of yours and thinking it´s a city of their motherland! Now that´s fun, free automated workers!

Rights of passage-contracts might be a very good choice if you run into a NON-agressive civ. Otherwise i will certainly nót let them use my soil !

17. Starkist

Starkist Chieftain

I like to make rival civs pay for the right of passage.... and pay a lot. :)

Alex of Greece got made at me because I had a nuclear sub in his territory... I thought you weren't supposed to see those....

The Egyptians built a city on the coast, it was eventually taken over by culture. However, an Egyptian worker had been building a railroad from the city to all my cities, I just let him continue. And Cleo was paying me for the right to do that too!

18. Ruffin

Ruffin Chieftain

Off subject (sort of), but one thing that irks me about right-of-passage is that it has to be reciprocal. When I beat someone in a war I'd like to make free access to their territory part of the peace settlement but I can't do that without letting them wander about on my land.

19. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Kind of sneaky peace tactic: blockade him. Just cover a straight line with 1 cheap unit apiece. Then he can't move through you. For all I know, it blocks his trade routes, too.

For that matter (haven't tried this yet), but you could probably secure a Right of Passage and blockade his own territory. Man, that would choke.

Sneaky #2: don't amass your forces directly on the border. Amass a road square or two back; further, if you have railroads. That way you don't make him nervous, and it doesn't cost you any movement. Keep a FEW on the border for scouting.

DIABOLICAL: Plop a city down next to a barbarian camp. Sell it to a rich civ. Muahahahahahahhaa.

20. Fierro1816

Fierro1816 The bearded man

I agree with Ruffin on right-of-passage... it should be unilateral.

One of my favorite things to do to my right-of-passage "friends" it´s cut off all of their forrest :lol: :lol: (this is great!) and put troops to prevent the abuse of their right-of-passage.

Another thing you can do is block their cities (surrunding them with troops)... HEY! IT´S MY RIGHT! :mad:

Also I build infrastructure to them soo they can trade their unconnected resources with me... and if they don´t, I drown them in blood :skull:. HAHAHAHAHHA

PS: Excelent tactics tetley!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.