So anyway, place your bets: when will civ7 arrive?

Josephias

Emperor
I think new DLC affects when we can expect to hear about Civ7, but I suspect the main team has been working on Civ7 for quite some time. A beta team putting out DLC for Civ6 likely doesn't affect that.

Even more, I seem to recall someone (was it Ed?) saying they tested many of civ VI features on uniques introduced with PtW in Civ V. When the announcement of the new Leader DLC states "Each leader will arrive with a suite of surprising new or updated abilities alongside inventive new agendas that'll change the way you play", I can not help to think they might be beta testing potential Civ7 features with the new leader abilities.

vorlon_mi

Emperor

Bechhold

King
I think new DLC affects when we can expect to hear about Civ7, but I suspect the main team has been working on Civ7 for quite some time. A beta team putting out DLC for Civ6 likely doesn't affect that.
Believe the reason we are getting this DLC is due to Civ 7 either being delayed, or the devs having to restart internally.

Zaarin

Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari
Believe the reason we are getting this DLC is due to Civ 7 either being delayed, or the devs having to restart internally.
I'm more inclined to believe that it's to generate interest in the franchise again, especially after a lot of people were disenchanted by NFP. Especially since it's free to the people who would be most interested in Civ7.

reddishrecue

Deity
I'm more inclined to believe that it's to generate interest in the franchise again, especially after a lot of people were disenchanted by NFP. Especially since it's free to the people who would be most interested in Civ7.
Nfp was alright I wonder how this new dlc will do.

Zaarin

Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari
I still think 2023 is too early.
I'm inclined to think a probable schedule is announcement last half of 2023, release first half of 2024. While many companies are (finally) adopting a tighter announcement-to-release schedule, Civ is one game that justifies a longer marketing campaign in order to talk about all its features.

Haig

Deity
In yesterday's stream, Beach said that the youtuber Potato McWhiskey had visited Firaxis studio to see some mysterious project *wink wink*,
If Civ 7 release was far away in 2024, they wouldnt plan preview plays with Potato so early.

This made me sure that we get Civ 7 announcement in May/June 2023 with release in end of same year.

Laurana Kanan

Don’t underestimate who I am.
In yesterday's stream, Beach said that the youtuber Potato McWhiskey had visited Firaxis studio to see some mysterious project *wink wink*,
If Civ 7 release was far away in 2024, they wouldnt plan preview plays with Potato so early.

This made me sure that we get Civ 7 announcement in May/June 2023 with release in end of same year.
I think the assumption by most is that this was in regards to the Midnight Suns game and not Civ 7.

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
think the assumption by most is that this was in regards to the Midnight Suns game and not Civ 7.
Not sure Midnight Suns counts as a mysterious project??!!

Cooleatack

Chieftain
They did mention that their studio got a makeover, so that might have something to do with it. The pandemic also delayed a whole lot. Some employees left too, I believe? Midnight Suns was delayed, so it is not unreasonable to extrapolate that to other games. I am happy that they are at least having fun with the Leader Pass, and that development on Civilization is ongoing.

Them not kneejerking against new competitor games is also a good sign imo. They take their time to release a product that is up to their standards, so I will hapilly await for the next gen. One criticism I do have is the months of radio silence between releases. They could take a note from Paradox on this, and do more regular developer diaries (Though they have been lacking at Paradox as well in recent years). Releasing a whole pack full of leaders for free is generous though, and should be commended.

At first I thought the exclusion of Julius Caesar would forebode a future content pack. However, now that he is added as an additional even more free surprise, I doubt it. The Anthology Edition seems to be the conclusive one, and the addition of a celebratory leader pack seems a good way to end it. So the next CIV release will probably be CIV VII, with the longer production time being filled by this pack to reward our patience.

Top Bottom