So anyway, place your bets: when will civ7 arrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think new DLC affects when we can expect to hear about Civ7, but I suspect the main team has been working on Civ7 for quite some time. A beta team putting out DLC for Civ6 likely doesn't affect that.

Even more, I seem to recall someone (was it Ed?) saying they tested many of civ VI features on uniques introduced with PtW in Civ V. When the announcement of the new Leader DLC states "Each leader will arrive with a suite of surprising new or updated abilities alongside inventive new agendas that'll change the way you play", I can not help to think they might be beta testing potential Civ7 features with the new leader abilities.

I think new DLC affects when we can expect to hear about Civ7, but I suspect the main team has been working on Civ7 for quite some time. A beta team putting out DLC for Civ6 likely doesn't affect that.
Believe the reason we are getting this DLC is due to Civ 7 either being delayed, or the devs having to restart internally.

Believe the reason we are getting this DLC is due to Civ 7 either being delayed, or the devs having to restart internally.
I'm more inclined to believe that it's to generate interest in the franchise again, especially after a lot of people were disenchanted by NFP. Especially since it's free to the people who would be most interested in Civ7.

I'm more inclined to believe that it's to generate interest in the franchise again, especially after a lot of people were disenchanted by NFP. Especially since it's free to the people who would be most interested in Civ7.
Nfp was alright I wonder how this new dlc will do.

I still think 2023 is too early.
I'm inclined to think a probable schedule is announcement last half of 2023, release first half of 2024. While many companies are (finally) adopting a tighter announcement-to-release schedule, Civ is one game that justifies a longer marketing campaign in order to talk about all its features.

In yesterday's stream, Beach said that the youtuber Potato McWhiskey had visited Firaxis studio to see some mysterious project *wink wink*,
If Civ 7 release was far away in 2024, they wouldnt plan preview plays with Potato so early.

This made me sure that we get Civ 7 announcement in May/June 2023 with release in end of same year.

In yesterday's stream, Beach said that the youtuber Potato McWhiskey had visited Firaxis studio to see some mysterious project *wink wink*,
If Civ 7 release was far away in 2024, they wouldnt plan preview plays with Potato so early.

This made me sure that we get Civ 7 announcement in May/June 2023 with release in end of same year.
I think the assumption by most is that this was in regards to the Midnight Suns game and not Civ 7.

think the assumption by most is that this was in regards to the Midnight Suns game and not Civ 7.
Not sure Midnight Suns counts as a mysterious project??!!

They did mention that their studio got a makeover, so that might have something to do with it. The pandemic also delayed a whole lot. Some employees left too, I believe? Midnight Suns was delayed, so it is not unreasonable to extrapolate that to other games. I am happy that they are at least having fun with the Leader Pass, and that development on Civilization is ongoing.

Them not kneejerking against new competitor games is also a good sign imo. They take their time to release a product that is up to their standards, so I will hapilly await for the next gen. One criticism I do have is the months of radio silence between releases. They could take a note from Paradox on this, and do more regular developer diaries (Though they have been lacking at Paradox as well in recent years). Releasing a whole pack full of leaders for free is generous though, and should be commended.

At first I thought the exclusion of Julius Caesar would forebode a future content pack. However, now that he is added as an additional even more free surprise, I doubt it. The Anthology Edition seems to be the conclusive one, and the addition of a celebratory leader pack seems a good way to end it. So the next CIV release will probably be CIV VII, with the longer production time being filled by this pack to reward our patience.

So, it seems it's about time to open the nerve - wracking period between February and May of wondering whether we are going to get announcement or not (God please let this game come this year, how long can it take).

I hope the leader pack is a way to build up hype leading to the announcement of the next game, rather than the consolation prize :p

Looking at the recent activity of General Discussion before and after the Leader Pack, I would suggest it can be about interest and awareness for Civ7, but it could also just be it for Civ6. However, something tells me there's a link between the two, and by fact there is a link between Civ6 and Civ7 : the second is the sequel of the first.

The LP is a way to squeeze just a little more revenue out of Civ 6, since the revenue from Civ 7 is still a way off.
I would suspect that most people who are still playing the game probably got the LP for free so I doubt this was the reason for the pass.

I would suspect that most people who are still playing the game probably got the LP for free so I doubt this was the reason for the pass.
I think he’s getting at that the pass is encouraging people to shore up whatever dlc they’re missing so they can get the pass for free.

It’s a compelling deal and the Civ 6 sales promotion since the LP has indeed focused on encouraging people to get the entire “anthology” edition.

Posted it before, but I'm slightly more certain now:
Every Civ game except Civ II came out First Release in September or October.
End the Leaders packs, count six months to build hype and expectations, Civ VII Release in October of this year.

There, I've stuck my neck out with a hard prediction. I'll start laying in salt for seasoning when I have to eat those words later this year.

But note that that would make almost exactly 6 years since Civ VI was released, and that game's initial release was 73 months after Civ V's. Anything beyond that would be 1 - 3 years longer than the period between any two previous games, which I just don't see happening even with more disruption from the pandemic than we've seen evidence of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom