1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So apparently, the AI has not been improved

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kruos, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Kruos

Kruos Chieftain

Apparently, from the pre-release version given to streamers, the AI seems to not have been improved (that much).

Marbozir has made a video about that :

In particular, if you go at 1:05 : "... litteraly never use any air units at all, I have yet to see the AIs use them."

If it's confirmed for release it will be a huge disappointment for me, to the point I think I will not buy this expansion (pre-purchase cancelled due to that).

It's not normal that two years after release (and twos expansions) the IA is still not functional and able to use all the features of the game. I do not speak about being good, I just speak about being functional and use the features of the game.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. anandus

anandus Errorist

Personally I don't care much about the AI (I don't play SP), but I do feel sad for the people that really wanted an improved AI.

I hope modding tools will become available so some good AI-mods can be made.

679x likes this.
  3. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

4. Gamling80

Gamling80 Chieftain

Clearly have they done a lot. The biggest problem with the civ vi ai has been that it felt skitsofrenic. I hope the new grievence system will be a huge improvement. It may be the single most important thing in this expansion.

Elhoim likes this.
  5. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ Chieftain

Bad. I only play SP.

6. Xur

Xur Chieftain

Good thing I didn't buy it :) They seem to have fixed the diplomatic AI with grievances, but the tactical AI is still super bad. My desire to play dies rather fast when I see an AI retreat from a potential 100% victory on their part. AI vs AI combat is also super bad - most of the time cities flip because of loyalty, not because of combat. I hope Firaxis takes a different approach with civ7. Go back to stacks of doom if you cant code a mediocre tactical AI. I prefer 1 unit per tile, but not at the cost of AI.

Acken, bumpyglint, glider1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Well, a 25 minute general Video and a few sentences within and you jump on the bandwaggon.

I expect AI to be slightly improved and as @Gamling80 said to act a bit more sane. That'll be about it.

If you wished for much more I sympathize with you and understand. If you expected more I don't.
    :deadhorse:
    If you won't buy the XP because of that ,that's fair enough - maybe you shouldn't have gotten CiVI in the first place... *duckandcover*

glider1, ombak, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  8. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

We maybe need to just have one “Ultimate AI Thread”. Otherwise, this forum is going to look like the Steam Chatroom.

Short version: no, the AI isn’t that bad; but yes, it’s disappointing the AI isn’t better; no, I’m not going to lose my mind over it or start bashing FXS, because I think getting it right is hard, they are trying and it is getting incrementally better over time; but I do worry that the lack of challenge and problems with the AI is hurting how people see the game and so FXS really need to address this, including maybe working more closely with the modding community.

I may just link to this post going forward. Frankly, I think saying much more than that is hyperbole unless people are actually posting about the specific game code or coding AI in general (which a few bright sparks have done).

9. Kruos

Kruos Chieftain

This thread is not another sterile thread about "Make a good AI", it's a thread about having a functional AI, able to use the feature of the game. There is a subtile difference here guys. If you are happy with the fact to have bought a mis-working product, well.. good for you. But please do not come here and tell us it's normal, because it's not.

When you buy a Civilisation game you expect to have a working AI inside, and by working I mean "able to use the feature of the game properly".

10. anandus

anandus Errorist

What features doesn't the AI employ?

I know of air units. Anything else?

11. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

I hope the airpower mod gets patched soon then.

12. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

Very disappointing indeed. Overall, I feel like 40 bucks is way too much money for the new content but I'll probably buy it anyway because it's CIV. An improved AI would make the price a lot more reasonable.

13. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

To be fair, I rarely bother with air units, so I can hardly fault the AI on that front.

JimGrumpypants and conorbebe like this.
  14. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

That’s the nub of the problem. There’s no reason to build air units if the AI doesn’t ever build them.

Tiger Genocide and Xur like this.
  15. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

They're also too expensive to build, when you can have steamrollered your enemies on land before your first Aerodrome district is complete.

conorbebe, ombak, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

It is nothing else than all the other AI threads all around on these forums. Check them out, you won't be surprised... claiming something is different doesn’t do anything.
    And I'm telling you what I want, not what you like me to. :p And nowhere I said that it's normal.I said it was to be expected, which is a different thing and I questioned the basis of this thread being 3 sentences from Marb in a 25 minute video. I still do.

It's been like this with the series 4EVER. And since CiIV AI never used features properly. 1UPT made it worse, but it was bad always (personally I've been playing since Civ I) ... yadda yadda yadda...

17. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

The real thing is that the AI have sucked from CIV1, it sucks less now, but is still abysmal.

We will never get a better AI, just face it. We might get a better AI at one stage, but Firaxis will never
    improve the AI decisions to perfection as it takes time and money. These are the resources that
    this company doesn't have/willing to pay for.

We have to play with what we got, and I'm not buying the new expansion right now.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  18. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

:thumbsup: rightly so!

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Another AI complaining thread?
    It has all been thrashed to death

Moderators, can we have an AI subforum, there are enough threads for this.

Ondolindë, conorbebe, yrba1 and 12 others like this.
  20. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

I expect that the AI will still not be great in GS, but I at least hope it will be able to handle somewhat the new gameplay mechanisms (world congress, resources, climate change, power). However, it will probably need several patches of improvement yet again.

With that being said, some people are really fast to jump to conclusions, based on very anecdotal evidence. One guy saying he hasn't seen the AI build air units DOES NOT mean that the AI literally never builds air units. At the very least, I've seen the AI have air units on one of the Firaxis livestreams where they showed late game, and on quill's Canada playthrough.

So, yes, probably don't expect great AI, but also don't make definitive conclusions from a limited sample of games, especially in a game with so many variables like Civ.