So ... Carthage is a thing

Any idea for a possible Phoenician UU?

Carthage had amazing and well documented choices for UU's, quiqueremes and elephants as most famous examples.
But I struggle to find anything for Phoenicia.

Maybe we'll get Carthage with another name after all?

Any idea for a possible Phoenician UU?

Carthage had amazing and well documented choices for UU's, quiqueremes and elephants as most famous examples.
But I struggle to find anything for Phoenicia.

Maybe we'll get Carthage with another name after all?

The Phoenicians allegedly invented the Trireme. I would imagine some of the uniques would be tied towards Phoenicia's mercantile history.

The Phoenicians allegedly invented the Trireme. I would imagine some of the uniques would be tied towards Phoenicia's mercantile history.
The Phoenix Dye Trade I mentioned under Hiram I's wistful post above could fit in.

Considering we don't have a Trireme in the game, yet this sounds like the best option as another galley replacement.

Well, not entirely. Sources don't agree on whether the Greeks or Phoenicians invented the Trireme. What we do know is that both used a specific type of Trireme: The jist is that the Greek Trireme was broad in design, evolving from the Penteconter with a large deck that could facillitate many archers. The Phoencians built their Triremes more highly than the Greeks did, which allowed their Triremes to be more slender and mobile, at the cost of reduced firepower. Phoenician Triremes also had ornate rams and were thus more distinctly designed to be ramming ships, rather than arrow ships.

Either case, it's difficult to pinpoint which of them actually invented the ship in the first place. In terms of naval ships that were definitely of Punic Invention, you have the Quinquereme, which dates to Carthaginian times and would be anachronistic for Phoenicia and the Quadrireme, which is already in the game, as a ranged ship, somehow???. The bottom line is that it's really hard to assign a specific type of vessel to Phoenicia because of how widespread their use became in the Athenian and eventually Roman and Egyptian navies as well.

Well, not entirely. Sources don't agree on whether the Greeks or Phoenicians invented the Trireme. What we do know is that both used a specific type of Trireme: The jist is that the Greek Trireme was broad in design, evolving from the Penteconter with a large deck that could facillitate many archers. The Phoencians built their Triremes more highly than the Greeks did, which allowed their Triremes to be more slender and mobile, at the cost of reduced firepower. Phoenician Triremes also had ornate rams and were thus more distinctly designed to be ramming ships, rather than arrow ships.

Either case, it's difficult to pinpoint which of them actually invented the ship in the first place. In terms of naval ships that were definitely of Punic Invention, you have the Quinquereme, which dates to Carthaginian times and would be anachronistic for Phoenicia and the Quadrireme, which is already in the game, as a ranged ship, somehow???. The bottom line is that it's really hard to assign a specific type of vessel to Phoenicia because of how widespread their use became in the Athenian and eventually Roman and Egyptian navies as well.

Right, but the Trireme would make the most sense for the UU. I won't repeat Wikipedia to you, but you have to know that one Classical Era Egyptian Greek saying something is good enough for Firaxis. There are more obvious Phoenicia-to-Greece transfers of technology (alphabet, for example) and some other Mesopotamian to Greek transfers of technology or culture where the Phoenicians are the most likely culprit.

Top Bottom