1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So cheat mode is back — good or bad?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bluetooth, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

Wow, I didn't know cheat mode was coming back. That just made my day.

Cheatmode was the only reason I stuck with and got good at Civ 2. I couldn't believe it wasn't in Civ 3.

2. Phoenix_56721

Phoenix_56721 Prince

I cant wait to use this for testing, I could care less what the HOF says, personally I have never even looked at mine in Civ3. The ability to use this in-game (option) for testing is going to be great practice for MP games, which is what I will be playing mostly.

3. minger

minger Warlord

but you could save, use the cheat mode to see the locations of all other civs, then load , and not have an ugly "CHEAT" on the HOF

4. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I certainly hope that it is fool-proof from a competition perspective. If its (say) just a 'editor used' flag, it might be able to be edited-out. :(

Something like that could ruin competitions completely...

5. bky1701

bky1701 Warlord

I definitely think it is a good thing. I am one of the people prone to building my good units (nukes, etc)
    right when the game ends (in my favor), with this I can make use of that nuke!

6. Wardog

Wardog Warlord

No, I won´t use it. It makes the game boring and easy to win even in the hardest levels.

7. Wardog

Wardog Warlord

No, I won't use it. It makes the game boring and easy to win even in the hardest levels.

8. Daniel Jackson

Daniel Jackson Chieftain

It doesn't matter for me. I don't use it to cheat since that kills all satisfaction, and don't make scenarios except when really, really bored. Those who do otherwise, though, might like it, and I certainly won't stand in the way of their fun. I just won't use it.

9. mdm

mdm Warlord

It's a great thing. The object of the game is to have fun, not to conduct serious business. If you need to alter the map or something to have fun, by all means, if you have fun with restrictions, go for it.

The more options the better.

10. Milan's Warrior

Milan's Warrior Peacelord

I agree, cheats were the best thing in Civ2 and I sorely missed them in Civ3.
    Any civ that double cross me, beware :p

11. knupp715

knupp715 King

I think this is a good thing for mod makers so they can test their mods and for new players so they can learn how the game works. I might be tempted to use it, and I probably will every once and a while, but I like a challenge in my games and I don't think it will be as fun for me when I can just put an iron on a hill right next to my city instead of having a fun war with my neighbor to take the iron from them.

I think somebody asked in the beginning of this thread if it can be used in multiplayer and no it can't. I'm glad for that.

12. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

cheat mode is bad .. ugh

13. Carver

Carver King

More options is better than fewer. I think we're all strong enough to fight and win our games honestly, if that's what we want. But the world builder has its place. Of course you can use it as a direct cheat tool, but what if you've reached a certain 'era' and you want to have a massive war without the tedium and lost production of building unit after unit. Maybe you decide to give yourself, and the AIs some (or a lot) of extra units - that could be real fun. :)

14. Roland Ehnström

Roland Ehnström Prince

I don't personally like that there is a cheat mode in the game. Now you'll say "So don't use it!" - and you can be sure that I won't. But just the fact that it is there does affect the immersion of the game slightly. It makes playing civ feel more like what it actually is: Just playing a game.

But on the other hand, if many people want to be able to cheat the game, then I guess I can live with there being a cheat mode for them to use.

-- Roland

15. Belboz

Belboz Necromancer

Will the cheat mode allow us to see secret scenes such as those in Grand Theft Auto? My interest is entirely academic, of course. I really don't approve of that sort of thing.:D

16. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

Well, that new cheat mode will be good for beginners. It will be not fun to use it in most of the epic games.

17. osakki

osakki Chieftain

I love the idea, It will be great if trying to recreate real world, It was very annoying to see that france built the pyramids and japan the kremlin when you wanted realism.