So explain nuclear weapons to me please...

Mahasona

Prince
So I've got the Manhattan Project built and a couple of uranium sitting around.

Building a nuclear weapon is apparently a project but it doesn't show up in the build screen.

So - what next?

Also where does it show up? I presume it needs to be launched from a missle silo/ nuclear sub or maybe a bomber. Has anyone done this yet?

It's at the very bottom where the district projects are and where the space race projects are; underneath the list of all available units you can build.

My understanding is that once you have one you can use it from any unit that can utilize it: bomber, nuc sub, missile cruiser etc.

After Nuclear and Thermonuclear Devices have been constructed they'll appear in the top interface in the same area as Strategic Resources. They're really easy to miss because, just like many of the resource icons, they are small and indistinct. A far better indicator that you have nukes is on the units that can launch/drop them, like Jet Bombers and Nuclear Subs; when one of the buttons is enabled you know you have nukes in stock.

I've found that Civ6's lack of notifications for what has been built or trained at cities causes further confusion. I once finished 2 nukes and didn't realize it, then assigned those two high production cities to produce other units when I should've been producing more nukes. It's unbelievable that Civ6 puts the notifications for what other civs are doing so prominently in the centre of the screen (which is often annoying and distracting), but the player doesn't have a clue what's happening in their own cities. Firaxis needs to make some improvements to the UI and restore functions like production queues.

You can also use military engineers to build nuclear silos on hexes. They store both types of nukes, and you can instantly launch a nuke from any one of them (the nuke is shown for all of them, there is no need to move the nuke around). Nuclear subs, jet bombers, and I think the missile cruiser also can launch them.

I have not tested this, but it is possible you may not be able to build nukes if you don't have a nuke capable unit or silo to house it. That would fit with how other units work in the game.

No, silos are hex improvements, like a fort. Cities don't store nukes or aircraft like they did in V.

Well that's odd. After loading up the game today the Build Nuclear Project appeared in all the cities! I swear it wasn't there before.

Didn't realise that I'll need a military engineer to build silos either.

Thanks for all the info guys.

On a side note, has anyone ever been nuked by the AI? I'm curious if it happens and if I should prepare for it.

On a side note, has anyone ever been nuked by the AI? I'm curious if it happens and if I should prepare for it.

The only time I saw the AI build nukes was one ultra-long game on King when I was still learning everything. I won the game, used the one more turn option, and built nukes to learn/play with them against a random AI that spawned cities inside my own empire. Ghandi instantly made a threat about since I'd used nukes he might as well use the tools (nukes) available to him as well... was scary at first given his nuke-happy agenda, but I got bored and ended the game before I ever saw any AI use them. Suppose I might have if I ever nuked Ghandi

If the AI has nukes then it will already be using aircraft. The defense against nukes are SAMs so ya should already have a few if the game ever goes THAT long. :D

No, I've completed 4 campaigns to date (1 Prince, 3 King) and the AI has never used nukes on me. They haven't even built any aircraft or AA units either!

It's really disappointing that Firaxis wasn't able to get the AI to play the game properly in Civ6. Hopefully they'll fix it soon in a patch.

AA and SAMs can passively defend against missile attacks albeit with a probability of less than 100%, right? What about fighters?

Well I had fun with my nukes in the end.

Pleasantly surprised they don't have to be allocated to subs or bases, just magically supplied from a central stockpile.

That's Gandhi out of the game the minute I see him then!

When I was on the verge of a science victory I decided to try out my nukes for the first time. Send a sub halfway across the world to the Chinese capitial. Hit launch, anticipating the firework, when the game refocused on a builder back home... Good thing I had a few spares. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom