So... harbors

Aristarchus

Chieftain
Hello,

I'm new to Civ V and playing my first real game, on a huge map. Apparently I'm not clear on trade routes and harbors.

After creating an empire of 12 or so cities on the main continent, I found an island way out in the ocean with wine on it. I didn't have any wine, so I sent a settler out there, built a city, had a worker build a plantation, and set the new city to create a harbor. I have a second harbor on the mainland, where all my cities are connected to the capital forming trade routes.

When the worker finished the plantation, I got wine (triggering WLTKD in a few cities). The harbor isn't done, and I don't see any other wine anywhere on the map (in Strategic Map mode with Resource overlay); I don't see Wine on any info displays like the Luxuries subsection of the Economic Overview.

Why do I have access to this wine? Shouldn't I need the harbor to be done? The new city does not have the Trade Route icon under its name like all the others.

Thanks,

Rich

You don't need a harbor or a trade route to get access to resources on your land; V is different from the previous titles that way. In fact, I think you could plunk down a city on a luxury resource in the middle of an AI empire (completely surrounded) and still have access to the resource, though I haven't tested it. "Trade routes" are distinct from the resources; they just generate gold per turn. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is what it is.

That's pretty sad :sad: I wish a modder will make it so you need to build a harbor in order to connect the luxury resource.

Top Bottom