So has Firaxis given up on BE?

Riker13

King
I got BE on day of release, first mistake! as a long time player of Civ games right back to CIV 1 I always have purchased the games on day of release but I must say how disappointed I have been with BE and the lack of patches to correct issues and now we hear they are releasing Starships, wait a moment Firaxis you haven't finished BE yet!!

Now after all these years being a member of this forum I have never had a bad word to say until now, I tell you one thing I wont be getting Starships until they have polished BE.

Ok rant over, not good for my blood pressure.

Firaxis sort this out first.

Thank You :)

I got BE on day of release, first mistake! as a long time player of Civ games right back to CIV 1 I always have purchased the games on day of release but I must say how disappointed I have been with BE and the lack of patches to correct issues and now we hear they are releasing Starships, wait a moment Firaxis you haven't finished BE yet!!

Judging with how far Starship is developed, it's a pretty safe assumption that it was developed in parallel of CiV BE. Looks like there is 2 separates teams for those 2 games.

Honestly, I highly doubt that they would be continuing to put money into social media promoting BE if they were not intending more for it

With each passing day it's looking more like fixing this game is just too big a job for them to invest the necessary time and money into it.

I'm guessing there will be a CiVI announcement before we hear anything more about anything but a minor patch for BE.

I could be wrong about this, only time will tell.

Perhaps the very fact that the game needs so much work is why it's taking so long. In any event I'm done buying Firaxis games before they are released. That's a rule I won't even break for CiVI.

I'm guessing that the majority of the employees assigned to BE were reassigned to a different project after release and only a skeleton crew are still working on patches. That's why it is slow going. They just don't have a lot of people programming or doing QA. Are the rest working on new DLC or a new project? Time will tell.

From reading various game forums, I have come to the conclusion that every single game ever made is dead and has been for at least several years. :)

BE is like Ender gaming SS, er Starships and its royal Catholic world circumnavigating nuclear powered Secret Service.

Firaxis would have to make about 5 bad games in a row for me to stop buying their games at release.

I know I won't buy another spin off until they get this one straigth with moooaar patches.

They still can't get into a schedule with regular patching , even small patches but regularily. It s the best wa to balance out expectations from customers and developpement constraints. It s easier to forgive things not being ok after a patch if you know when the nextg one will come (and relatively soon too )

Judging with how far Starship is developed, it's a pretty safe assumption that it was developed in parallel of CiV BE. Looks like there is 2 separates teams for those 2 games.
no.
from 02:02
Link to video.

Will Miller - colead gamedev on civ:be
David McDonough - colead gamedev on civ:be

probably Firaxis took the coleads off civ:be after feature-lock. I really hope that Starships is more of a Sid game.

Starships is not far from release. I doubt that Firaxis has the resources to do QA in two games at once. I expect no patches for civ:be before Starships' release date.

no.
from 02:02
Link to video.

Will Miller - colead gamedev on civ:be
David McDonough - colead gamedev on civ:be

So doesn't it mean that the main gamedev is STILL on BE afterall? They could have shift a bit of the crew between the 2 teams but we can't know for sure how much I guess.

probably Firaxis took the coleads off civ:be after feature-lock. I really hope that Starships is more of a Sid game.

Starships is not far from release. I doubt that Firaxis has the resources to do QA in two games at once. I expect no patches for civ:be before Starships' release date.

I think releasing a new game + new patch at the same time would be the best move marketing wise, considering how "connected" they want the 2 games to be.

As our neighbours off-Channel told us, "Wait & see" seems the best thing to do at the moment ;)

I love how folks think QA is really important.. fact is only people who think quality assurance is important.. are the customers. Definitely not the devs.

You can hand over a database with 10000 bugs in it.. sorted out to a/b break the game and block progress, c general issue broken quest etc or d cosmetic.. 3 months later.. and 50000 more bugs and they'll have fixed the a, b and d reports. And that's it. On release.. they'll usually have a patch ready to release to fix game breaking bugs that were added to the game by fixing other game breaking bugs.. and on it goes.

Eventually, months later, a group of dedicated backend staff will be told to fix it, they'll sit down, work on and finally fix the game to how it should have been at release. Then the devs will release an expansion and completely mess up the game again.

That's the software industry. Noone cares except the customers.

The good thing these days is we have youtube and twitch we can see the game, make our own decisions. But that also means you have to live by them as well.

The last patch notes indicated telemetry was built in.

They wouldn't do that if they weren't planning on a balance patch.

Even if Firaxis hasn't given up on BE, I have.

I've gone back to Civ 5 and am having lots of fun.

Even if Firaxis hasn't given up on BE, I have.

I've gone back to Civ 5 and am having lots of fun.
That's great, thanks for sharing your story. I hope you continue to have fun with the game of your choice. :)

It's a grand tradition. Many people went back to Civ 4 from Civ 5, more than a few went back to Civ 3 from Civ 4 . . . :)

It's a grand tradition. Many people went back to Civ 4 from Civ 5, more than a few went back to Civ 3 from Civ 4 . . . :)

Not me, I've stopped play Civ entirely. I tried playing Civ 5 again but I've never been able to finish even a single game of BNW. It looks like Firaxis is just slapping Sid Meier's name on anything for a quick buck now (starships looks like just another mod...) and paying for social media marketing to astroturf the hype needed to sell product, I doubt I'll ever buy another Civ game.

Top Bottom