So Here we are.....

Minuteman

Minister of salty snacks
Like many others, I too have been plauged by the now dreaded and still inexplicable "CIVILIZATION3.EXE" error message. Ordinarily, I would say something hackneyed like "I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem", but this is one type of misery that didn't need any company.

It is clear that Firaxis has dropped the ball here in releasing a product that contains such a fatal flaw. Since one can only assume that they released this apparent beta program with no malicious intent, I can only conclude that they haven't the foggiest notion as to how to remedy this problem. And since Jeff Morris is now actively recruiting participants of this forum for "beta testing", one can also conclude that Firaxis' concept of "quality control" is in serious need of review. It almost makes me wonder if this product was even tested before it was rushed to market.

I only wish that I had something constructive to contribute to the efforts of some of you that are currently trying to remedy this problem on your own, but sadly I do not. It appears to be a losing battle on the user-end side of the ledger.

My solution to this problem was to simply uninstall this game and delete all reference to it in my registry. Until this problem is properly addressed by Firaxis (aside from the usual "update your drivers" BS contained in their tech support responses), I see no point in continuing to invest so many of my precious hours in what is clearly a defective product.

Now perhaps Jeff, Dan, and that entire merry band of Firaxians could care less about what I or many of their other customers think, but just so they know, this is one customer that is greatly dissatisfied with their product, and in a larger sense, with their workmanship. In my industry, such disregard for quality usually has unpleasant consequences, least of which is severe censure. However, beyond that, it should be a question of taking pride in one's work. In other words, seeing to it that YOUR customers purchase the finest (and finished) product that you could produce for them.

Oh well, so much for that....

What makes you think this isn't a problem specific to your machine? With thousands of people running this game without a hitch (Gameplay issues aside), it's pretty clear it's your machine and it's unreasonable to assume they're going to be able to cover every single piece of obscure hardware/software setup out there.

Cerryl,

Unfortunately, the problem does not lie with my hardware, nor my software environment. If I were the only individual experiencing this problem, then I would be inclined to agree with you, and certainly would not be here questioning the overall quality of this product.

As part of the standard maintenance of my PC, I regularly update all hardware drivers, and even reformat my HD twice a year. My registry is squeaky clean, so it's not the byproduct of OS decay.

Here are my hardware specs. See if you can spot any of those "obscure" parts that you alluded to, then, if you would be so kind, please tell me if it is still clear to you why this program will not function.

CPU: Athlon T-Bird 1.33Ghz
Mobo: Asus A7M266
RAM: 256 PC2100 DDR Unbuffered
Video: Leadtek Getforce2 DH Pro 32MB 400 MX
Sound: SB Live Value
HD: WD 80GB 7,200 Rpm
Monitor: AOC 19" S1995
DVD: 16x Toshiba
CD-RW: Sony 12x 8x 32x
NIC: Netgear 310TX

See any arcane, bizarro devices listed there? I didn't think so. Again, I'm not the only individual who has experienced this problem.

I've played Civ III just about every day since the beginning of November. I've yet to experience any glitch or error like you're describing. Now either I've got a supercomputer, or I'm just lucky or it's not necessarily the software.

p.s. I DON'T have a supercomputer. I DO have a 1.5 ghz pentium four.

"do or do not, there is no try."

Perhaps its the athlon proscessor. It says right on the box PENTIUM. Have you considered that?

But I have a super computer. hehehe

Do you ever have any conflicts with the Netgear card and the motherboard ? I thought the netgear 310 and the chipset in the A7M266 didn't like each other and gave hangs during shutdowns. Wouldn't affect civ3 that I can think of though. Hmm..

AMD sucks. One thing I have learned in life is that within reasonable parameters, you get what you pay for.

You won't get a Mercedes out of a Hyundai and you won't get an Intel out of an AMD.

<--- Foolish owner of 3 AMD's - all sucked.

Originally posted by History_Buff
Perhaps its the athlon proscessor. It says right on the box PENTIUM. Have you considered that?

But I have a super computer. hehehe

I seriously doubt that my CPU is the genesis of this particular problem. AMD controls about 30% of the North American CPU market, and about 40% in Japan and Europe. I seriously doubt that Firaxis would be foolish enough to neglect such a substantial portion of their prospective customer base.

To be clear, the problem I'm having with the game tends to occur ONLY on large and huge maps that have been customized in the editor. The same seems to hold true for the others that are experiencing this problem as well. It would be easy for me to just stop using those maps, but I'd rather not play the game at all if that's the case. The primary reason why I bought this game was to be able to play w/ 16 civs on an enormous map, something that couldn't be done in Civ II.

Firaxis' official line regarding the recurring problems using these settings has been "well, the game isn't optimized for those settings and we just included those options because of the numerous requests we received". My response to that is that they're not doing us any favors by including features that not only don't work, but compromise the overall stability of the program.

I can't think of any other industry, save the PC gaming industry, where companies routinely foist upon their customers products that include non-working features, and then act as if they've done humanity a great service for having done so.

I have a 1.2 GHZ AMD Athlon processesor (Is that a cheap computer, compared to you other regular gamers? I don't know, I'm just asking). If that is a cheap computer, then FireAxis sure is limited to who they should market to. The majority of people who buy this game, and other games, do not have super computers.

When I had version 1.07f I had a few crashes. Sometimes when controlling my galley near the North pole the cursor would get stuck and the game would get locked up. If I put the ships on auto-explore ('e'), they would dissappear for a while off the map, when exploring near the North or South Pole. I once played a game on a 256 x 256 size map and for some reason the game crashed whenever I get a map of Zulu's territory (Babylon, Persia, and Zulu all were on a continent, I could buy the territory map of Babylon and Persia, but not world maps or territory map from Zulu, so it had something to do with Zulu's territory). And sometimes the sound would not work, then suddenly BOOM, the sounds back on, very loud for a second before returning to normal. I would get the CIVILIZATION.EXE error some other times when using the civ3editor, but was able to figure those out, or simply not change those rules.

Since getting v1.16f I haven't had these problems. However, when I did play on a 256x256 map, after a while (when I got into the industrial age and the first World War started), it took at least 15-20 minutes for the computer to make his turn. And this was with ALL animations turned off! This is civ3, not Chessmaster!

All in all, with the patch, I would say the game works fine on my computer (I have Windows ME), except on maps larger than 180x180. I have found bugs in every video game I have played, and the ones I play more often, the more bugs I find. So credit Sid for making a game that makes me spend so much time playing it.

Its gotta be the AMD proseccor. I run Pentium IIII 1.5 Ghz, and I have yet to experience any chraches or errors, except loading a save game after installing 1.16

That's it. Their management is so terrible, they have to make +25% on a chip, whereas AMD and nearly all other chip makers get by with +10%.

I suppose that if the car analogy were true, a Hyundai would be a faster car than a Mercedes. ;)

One thing i do not like about AMD is their penchant for making hot running processors. This lost them gateway, since shipping/transporting machines with large bulky CPU coolers is problematic. I spent a fortune on my CPU cooler so it would not be as loud as a room airconditioner.

Andy Grove got out a few years back and has been quietly selling off his Intel shares--maybe he knows something other people dont. The reason i dont like Intel is their gleeful participation with industry and govenment to limit your digital rights.

Map size is a problem in Civ3--the display jumping/scrolling as you move about the poles of the map is a dead giveaway. The fact that they could not implement rollover on the y axis of the map is another.

BTW, diagnosis of problems goes something like this:

application (duh)
operating system and configuration
OS drivers and hardware config for same
hardware

Amd Sux ? No way...

My 1.6 GHz Athlon XP will take a P4 2.2GHz every & any day of the week.

Intel is bsing people now, you just need to read the reviews (or own one) & you'll know .....

Originally posted by black_adder2
AMD sucks. One thing I have learned in life is that within reasonable parameters, you get what you pay for.

Funny, that's exactly why some market analysts are saying they need to increase the price of their chips - people think it's too good to be true!

Originally posted by black_adder2
<--- Foolish owner of 3 AMD's - all sucked.

Happy owner of two AMD's (K6-2 350 & Athlon 1.4) - both rock(ed), for their time. I haven't had any probs with the game locking up. But, I blame the software - for chrissake, look at how unpolished the rest of the game is - why would stability be any better?

I onloy get this problem in one instance - just after ive pressed f11 (top 5 cities etc) - as this is not vital to my game I dont care (or basically HA)

I haven't had any CIVILIZATION.EXE errors since updating to v1.16f (not yet, anyways). But then coincidently last night I started a game and after I built my third warrior when the menu box come up to select the next item to build it locked up, just kept repeated the sound it makes when you select the item. Couldn't do nothing but Control-Alt-Delete. I did have the game saved at 4000 B.C. ( I always do, just in case I find out I should have built my capital one square away, or something), and tried to duplicate this to see if it would lock up again, but didn't. But I don't know if I had duplicated every single unit's movement which could have made a difference.

But in v1.07f, yes I could reload the game several times and it would always crash at one particular point.

Wouldn't what version of windows you run make a big difference, too? (I know the box says it's windows 98 compatible, which Minuteman has)

My computer's old like 4 years old and it runs Civ 3 ok. I haven't seen the error he mentioned so I can't help.

Bamspeedy, do you mean that the autosave will save at 4000 bc for you automatically? It doesn't get saved over on mine, at least not for centuries.

No, I save it manually. I turn the auto-save off (too many saves to have to erase if everything ran smoothly), but then I would forget to save for 1000 years and *crash*:mad:

Bamspeedy - I use Autosave all the time - It only keeps a couple of the most recent turns in the auto folder. No need to purge for all those saves - go ahead and turn auto save on.

Yeah the autosave only keeps ten saves I believe. And when you start a new game and it autosaves it will wipe out all the old ones.

Top Bottom