So How Unfriendly Will Civ 6 be to One City Challenge Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprenk

Prince
Okay, so I pretty much spent 90% of my Civ V play hours playing turtle/builder-style OCC's (probably 80% of my BNW wins are Immortal/Tiny Island/Polynesia/OCC/Culture games--very soothing). Any thoughts on whether Civ 6 is going to be more or less receptive to such a bizarre game preference?

A considerable number of eurekas are of the "build two campuses" variety, which means they will be unavailable to me. Science and culture could come extremely slowly.

However, the whole District system seems like a dream to someone who likes single tall cities.

What do you think? Is Civ 6 going to be less receptive than this than civ 5 (which was great for OCC)? Or more receptive? Or is my game preference a sign of psychological distress which I should seek professional help for? :)

Last edited:
District system is actually anti tall. Overall I think civilization VI will be very unfriendly for one city challenge.

No % buildings, limited amount of districts, housing and so on.

Yeah, it looks like it will be very difficult. Germany actually looks like it might be the best candidate right now with its extra district, but growing your city will be hard as your food tiles are taken up by districts. Perhaps if the Aqueduct district had some food buildings you could add to it. You'd also have to be super careful in planning out your wonders, as I assume you'd only be able to fit 2-3 max within your city before you start to run out of room.

OCC is also at a severe disadvantage since it can't make use of regional effects of later buildings. If there is an OCC option, there should be some special rules for those as well.

The game isnt tall friendly from what we ve seen. Population remains one of the main drives of your progress but with housing limits and slower growth OCC may have some trouble staying afloat.

It will then depend on how hard the game is. I have no doubt OCC will remain possible on the lower levels. Especially from a domination point of view. The question is more about the mid to high levels.

Ah, I'd forgotten the lack of % sci and culture-boosting buildings in Civ 6. (No National College, sigh). So I guess I'll not be rushing out to do a OCC in Civ 6 for my first game :)

@Sprenk. I suspect you might be able to run OCC on smaller maps, especially if you add more city states to the mix. might need to play yourself like a city state.

In all honesty, I'm excited that it'll be easier to play more wide (good change of pace from CiV imo). But I also like the fact that it will make OCC even more of a challenge. Not much of a challenge if it's easy.

The game have no national wonder either.

I hadn't realised this until you mentioned it. If the balance of Civ6 goes too far towards ICS and REXing, I feel like they may make a return to balance things to a more measured pace of growth.

Honestly, it seems like there was a conscious design decision to kill OCC in Civ 6. Let us count the ways...

1. Per-city tech and culture costs - gone!
2. National wonders - gone!
3. Wonder spam nerfed by the hex requirement and possibly terrain limitations.
4. "Divine Inspiration" religious belief (+2 faith from wonders) also nerfed as a result.
5. Trade routes - severely limited by district count
6. No tradition tree! No landed elite or monarchy equivalent policy cards that strengthen the capital (god king is weak)
7. Likewise no equivalent to commerce opener (+25% gold in capital)
8. No mechanism to take advantage of high happiness typical in OCC (no ability to convert happiness to culture like from Aesthetics tree in Civ5)
9. No world congress so no "World Religion" +25% tourism in capital boost
10. No food city states to provide +3 food in capital
11. It's much harder to generate great people, since those points come mainly from buildings now, and you can only build one of each building.

I'm sure there are more, these are just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Well what is still good/better for OCC?

1. Founder beliefs (so OCC should probably get a religion)
2. Influence (its per civ not per city... 1 envoy gets a per capital benefit, so you want to spread them around)
3. District "Flat" yields are actually tied to population
4. possibility of Lots of food from Farms
5. Culture from population
6. increasing costs of Builders/Settlers/Districts (as you build more)
7. Eurekas for big cities
8. Harbors mean you don't have to settle on coast
9. District Adjacency instead of city Adjacency mean you don't have to settle next to mountains

1. Founder beliefs (so OCC should get a religion)
Not really sure how that is different from civ 5, they are pretty similar beliefs.
2. Influence (its per civ not per city... 1 envoy gets a per capital benefit, so you want to spread them around)
3. District "Flat" yields are actually tied to population
4. possibility of Lots of food from Farms
Agree with these. It will be possible to create a very productive mega-city. The question is whether that will be enough to propel to victory on high levels. I personally doubt it.
5. Culture from population
But none from science. Call it a wash.
6. increasing costs of Builders/Settlers/Districts (as you build more)
True, but unlikely to make up for lack of expansion costs in science/culture
7. Eurekas for big cities
While missing out on many others
8. Harbors mean you don't have to settle on coast
Pretty minor point, settling on the coast is far from necessary in Civ5 OCC
9. District Adjacency instead of city Adjacency mean you don't have to settle next to mountains
True but also there's no observatory so goodbye +50% science.

I think in the end, it will be possible but only on low difficulty levels. Especially if you are talking about a peaceful game. There are just too many mechanics missing for it to be competitive with a larger empire. I've played dozens of OCC games on the higher levels, and am pretty confident in saying that the mechanics I heavily rely on in those games, just flat-out don't exist anymore.

Not really sure how that is different from civ 5, they are pretty similar beliefs.

Agree with these. It will be possible to create a very productive mega-city. The question is whether that will be enough to propel to victory on high levels. I personally doubt it.

I agree it will very definitely be a challenge

But none from science. Call it a wash.

You don't get culture from science, but you do get both Science(0.7) and Culture (0.3) from population....
The big change there seems to be no Gold from population (monarchy in the capital, and "city connections" for a non OCC game)

No.. no.. you all have it wrong. It will be very friendly to OCC.

Why?

Because it's called One City Challenge. Not One City Cheesefest. OCC was a joke in civ5.
Wait really? Do people think that OCC is too easy on high levels? I'll grant you it's pretty easy up to emperor level. But immortal and especially deity...not a joke at all. Unless you are talking about specific gambits like Genghis Khan 1-city keshik rush or something...

Religious victory might still be doable OCC. I'm thinking Russia won't be terrible at it, since they can get a religion quickly due to half-priced district, and then they can stay sort of in the culture/science game with the trade route bonuses while devoting their energies to pumping out missionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom