1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So How Unfriendly Will Civ 6 be to One City Challenge Games?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sprenk, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Yeah, they would probably have to get something like pilgrimage to keep their faith up.

I could also see Sumeria doing well in a "raze the world" game... have your armies roaming about and leave areas full of barbs to get nice rewards.

Kongo could probably get the biggest city (especially depending on the details of how an adopted founder belief works out....if Kongo gets gold for every city in the world that has a tithing religion, just like the actual founder, then it might be good... full founder benefits from a religion you don't have to spread)... lots of gold, food, early housing and production [and 5 slots in the palace for extra culture]

2. spfun

spfun King

From what I've seen, there is no tall. I don't consider a couple of size 20 cities tall, so that just leaves wide.

From all the gameplay I have seen so far, not enough food for speedy growth and housing is severely limiting until neighborhoods which arrive late game. OCC was far to easy in Civ 5 though... Maybe it will actually be a challenge this time?

3. MayNilad Man

MayNilad Man King

Could OCC be more viable if they doubled the number of potential city tiles?

That would also help differentiate OCC from the base game.

4. isau

isau Deity

OCC will be very hard, but I am hopeful we get a Venice-type civ that can grow borders much larger than 3 tiles.

One of the most exciting things about Civ 6 is how the policies work. I can see people creating balanced policy mods we can drop in to enable this kind of play. And also can see it becoming a thing in expansions.

5. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

OCC will be a real challenge due to all the new features.

Players will have to think really carefully when choosing districts, as well as possible wonders, as they take tiles, and you can't build them all. Also the situation of your city will affect a lot how you play, so no "one-strategy for all games".

6. MikalJ

MikalJ Chieftain

OCC shouldn't be any more difficult than having any number of cities... with the current state of the AI you should be able to raize every other civ's capital in turn with about three contemporary units, fending off attacks from five warriors in 1300AD.

7. itkovian1128

itkovian1128 Chieftain

For me, the topic is pointless. Civ has to be a game that shows the development of the giant empires rather than city-states. Such a game can be seen as archiv in steam and does not make sense in the game Civilization.

Back to the large number of cities in the design Civ4 for me is a very good move.

8. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

Well, "controlling" large swaths of rebellious territory is a very old-school way to run an empire. I prefer to control the globe through the power of my culture; at the end of my games, every nation's youth listens to my pop music and buys my blue jeans. Kind of like my own daughters, with their obsession with Japanese manga, anime, and pop music. Thank goodness Japan doesn't make good jeans, or we'd already have lost Civ in real life :)

9. itkovian1128

itkovian1128 Chieftain

It seems to me that in this game, mainly in terms of simulations old-fashioned mode of building an empire and not the modern enterprise. I wanted that I would look modern type game Pop - Tycoon :).

10. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

This. I personally am planning to do a Tall Adventure Time 24/7 playthrough as Sumer, gonna be Sick... Sumer probably do pretty well for this reason in OCC

On Topic, Religion or Domination is probably the way to go, Culture/Science is going to be very tough, especially on higher difficulties. Housing Limits will just kill it. You also wont have the tiles for enough wonders and You will struggle to get the Tourism due to lack of tiles. The Trade Route change really, really hurts. You get what 3-4 Trade routes with OCC. Not 10-12 like in Civ5. But what really kills it is Housing Limits in conjunction with no National Wonders or %based Buildings. You cant build Uber Pop Cities in Civ 6, at least not early anyway. You will still be <15 Pop in the Renaissance, how often did that happen in OCC in Civ5?

Civs IMO that could work
    Scythia- Best Military Rush Civ

Sumer-Adventure Time 24/7 plus early rush. plus Ziggurats :) Farmable Goody Huts FTW :)... Spam Ziggurats along the river, Raze your Landmass...(with a little help from your friends) and set up the great Barbarian Hunting expeditions :) Feel free to tag along with the other Landmasses Local warmonger for extra pillage rewards after Astronomy...Science Victory

India- Holy site surrounded by stepwells give a good amount of faith where you sacrifice Holy site adjacency faith for extra faith from stepwells. Stepwells help you grow tall earlier without waiting for neighbourhoods.
    Combine this with faith for every Civ that has founded a religion as well as good follower beliefs might be enough for a OCC Religious Victory.

Kongo- Best High Pop Civ. - maybe.....I dont think he will have enough Tourism from one City but with early neighbourhoods he might be able to at least get the Pop required to stay afloat in the Tech/Culture Race. You will need to maximise your number of relic, artifact and great work slots ASAP so as to get the Boni(in particular the Production). You will want minimise the number of worked tiles and districts that you plop. Maybe Campus/Culture/Industrial/enough Mbanza's for housing pop and that is it. No farms, no Commerce/Harbour/Encampment/only mines for Industrial adjacency. Save all Your tiles for Wonders and Resorts... Pray that you get a Natural Wonder within working distance of your Capital :)... You might just be able to a Cultural Victory on Prince etc

Norway- Early Navy rush on an Island Map should work, as long as you get an awesome Capital Staring Loc.

Spain- Religion probably would work, it is a pity that missions like to be on other continents. However you can still get a benefit by surrounding your campus with missions for the extra science and well as faith. Likely you are going to have dictate a lot of tiles to the missions for enough faith to win a religious war. The big issue is no Population help at all, You going to need an Aqueduct, you going to need to beeline Neighbourhoods but you will have bad culture generation :( You probably have to go all in on faith and hope you can get an early victory. Probably only work on tiny/small maps

Brazil-- maybe-- I am not sure if you get enough Science/Culture/Faith from one city without sacrificing too many tiles to Rainforests. Your best bet will be again a Religious Victory with a Holy site surrounded by 6 Rainforests However, you need to allocate some for culture and Science in order to keep pace. maybe you could have a 3 district plus City centre, surrounded by rainforest Ring which is then got your neighbourhoods and other tiles outside of that... Idk. Probably you get a Religious Victory, i doubt you will get enough Science with 1 City.

You will notice that a big consideration in OCC is those UI that provide faith/science/culture. The problem with campuses and Holy sites is that their adjacency work best with mountains which is bad of OCC because it is a useless tile. The ability to not rely on Adjacency Boni is pretty important. The other thing of course is either Housing Boost or Early win potential. You need big pop cities to generate enough culture/science. Big Pop cities are hard to get quick in Civ6.

That is pretty much it. I dont think Japan Adjacency Boni or the Extra District for Germany will be enough to push you over the edge. Japan maybe but i doubt you will have enough districts close together quick enough with out coming from extra cities.

TL/DR
    Sumer - Probably the only way to get a Science Victory... rely on Ziggies and Endless Adventure Time to push you through fast enough.. Can also get a Domination Victory pretty easily
    Kongo - Probably the only way to get a Cultural Victory by building Mbzamba's and getting enough food and production from relics so you can devote enough tiles to Tourism. The key will be only building enough
    Tile improvements and Distrcist to get by....Best High Pop CiV
    India- Best chance at a religious Victory due to the combination of Stepwells and high Faith production that is not reliant on Holy Site Yields. Second best High Pop Civ
    Spain- Probably could get a Religious Victory, Lack of Pop boosts and Culture boosts hurt but with enough faith generation the stronger religious strength should be enough
    Scythia/Norway - Military Rush Domination
    Germany- Possible Military Rush, no good UU hurts but the extra military slot plus good production from the Hansa might be enough
    Brazil- Maybe... I am not sure if the Rainforest boost will be enough with just one city, it is gonna get awfully crowded in there and i am not sure the Great people generation will be enough to push it over the
    edge...worth a try

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The need for Culture/Science makes me think Russia might be good (depending on the Leader tuning).... probably go for a Religious victory (so you can use your faith/early Religion bonuses)

Greece might be good, you could probably maintain a good high culture rate, and the wild card could be useful for multiple things (particularly early religion)

Japan could get an early religion and will probably be able to get all of its 'boostable' districts a good boost (ie surround the 'other districts with things like Encampment, City Center, Aqueduct, Neighborhood)

Arabia could get a late religion but might be able to make up for it with high faith bonuses and focusing on general development first.
    (also they would be a good category for Conquest if their UU ability caries on with upgrades...healing tanks.. yes please)

........Less useful ones
    Rome would have a useless UA, but their LU would be good for an early start and their UD would be beneficial

France might work for a Cultural Win..their UU would be good on defense

China would probably aim for a Cultural Win, get some early Wonders then get a Great Wall for defense+culture bonus help (but early wonders could boost it in other directions like Stonehenge for religion)...China largely depends on if they modify Eureka rules for OCC

America would be Very culture win focused, and would have good military defense

Aztecs... they could get some early districts up faster, but otherwise largely useless (they won't get too many different luxuries if they are going to war, and that is what the different luxuries are for)

Egypt... the Sphinx might help for religion, and you can probably get a couple wonders to boost them... but their ability mainly gives them gold...which isn't particularly useful..it might be worthwhile if religion went along trade routes

England... they do get one more trade route, they might be able to do a conquest victory with their Museum helping to keep their culture up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.